- Prayer Request

Prayer Request

Step 11: Prayer & Meditation

Prayer Request

Postby garden variety » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:55 am

I hope this is the right place to ask.

There was a lady in my home group, age 37, with a 13-year-old son. She had her last relapse on Friday. It seems she died from a withdrawal seizure in her sleep Saturday. Her name was Lori, and as far as we know, she relapsed on alcohol and was trying over the past few weeks in and out of detox. This was sad news...its been about 6 weeks since I last saw her at the home group. I never knew that would be the last time she would be in a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous, or the last time I would see her alive.

This illness don't play. There is a 13-year-old boy out here without a mom. There was a boyfriend who woke up with a corpse at his side. There were sponsors and sponsees that sat with him and Lori's body until the coroner got there. Women with years of sobriety doing the next right thing...God bless their hearts. I talked to one tonight. The boyfriend was taken to a halfway house because he fell off the wagon too. Both were home group members.

Another fatal reminder...the next drunk might be my last drunk. Please pray for Lori's boy, her family, and her loved ones who have tears in their eyes. Tears that can never be put back, and amends that can never be made.

This really hurts.

Please don't pick up the first drink, ever.
garden variety

Postby Scott: Alcoholic » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:40 am

GV,

I did see this only moments after you posted it. I was at a loss -and still am, quite honestly.
I can only imagine that God's plans for the surviving parties here are - as always - being revealed in their timely fashion and that this woman's roll in their lives had been fulfulled.

In God's economy, nothing is wasted; in every thing there is purpose, though that purpose may not be readily discerned.

Thank you for sharing this with us and sharing the reality that this dis-ease is killing people every day.

Scott
Scott: Alcoholic

Postby garden variety » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Thanks Scott for your words...

We had talks about this in the two home groups I belong to. People from both groups knew her and her sponsor.

We pretty much agreed that, in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, there is NEVER a bad example. There are always great examples. Lori, unfortunately, was a great example of what throwing away the gift of sobriety can do.

She also served as a reminder to all of us that "reintroducing" yourself might not be an option for some that go back out.
garden variety

Postby anniemac » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:42 pm

Prayers sent, GV ~ and thank you for the brutal reminder that this disease kills. Truly I can forget that.
anniemac

Return to Sobriety Prayers