- Step 10 Promises

Step 10 Promises

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step 10 Promises

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:20 am

I get a chuckle out of hearing the Step 9 1/2 Promises read in newcomer meetings, almost like their an advertisement to the still suffering of

"Join AA... just don't drink, go to plenty of meetings, put a buck in the basket... and all these wonderful things will happen for you... after you've attended a few meetings!"

Then, they read the bottom half of page 83 through 84 of the Big Book.

The promises are real (I've experienced them... and I'm sure that many of you "Into Action 12 Steppers" out there have experienced them too!)... but the poor newcomer doesn't get told "This is what you can expect to experience AFTER you are half-way through making your amends in Step Nine! So... get busy on taking the 12 Steps!" :lol:

Not knocking... just some reality show humor. :wink:

Sometimes our more adventurous "Step Takers" out there (those who really have taken the 12 Steps... and are continuing to practice them)... somehow, forget all about the Step 10 Promises!

I won't write them all here... I'll leave that for someone else to do... (share the service)... and, for those looking for them, or interested in knowing what they are... they can be found on pages 84-85 of the Big Book.

Imagine that!!!

Check out all that really cool stuff that will happen to those who practice a daily 10th Step!!! And... let's talk about it!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:03 pm

"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol.
For by this time sanity will have returned.
We will seldom be interested in liquor.
If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame.
We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically.
We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation.
We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us.
We are neither cocky nor are we afraid.
That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."
anniemac

Postby garden variety » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm

I wonder if I'll be amazed with these promises when I'm halfway through. Probably not huh? That "promptly admitted it" thing gets me every time! Thanks for the reminder Dallas, and thanks for posting for my lazy butt, Annie.

God bless
garden variety

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:51 pm

Excellent topic.

Triggers for me?

I have triggers that make me feel like drinking (or at least they used to). Now, I have triggers that let me know immediately that I need to 10th step some one or some thing. They are:

--Feelings of resentment: I might not even be focusing those feelings on the TRUE source! I sometimes get annoyed about something #2 when it is in fact something #1 that I need to 10th step. (Make sense, anybody?)

--Feelings of guilt. I hate guilt. I believe heaven and hell are here and now and not some place we go when we die. I can choose to live in hell just by doing things for which I feel guilty. To get out of hell, I need to do "10th step" something.

I did a 10th step last night--after about 6 weeks of needing to do it--and I feel so much better about that person and myself. I simply didn't realize I needed to do a 10th step! Phew! Feeling better today!!

:)
Anne

Postby garden variety » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:31 pm

Whoa Anne!

You mean it took you six weeks between 10ths? Golly there'd be people around me with no ears, missing teeth, clumps of hair gone, and the dogs...those poor things. Well theyr'e the ones that keep me doing 10ths every day. If I aint cussing those mangy devils out for one thing or another, it just aint me. I think the neighbors think I'm nuts. Get your BIG DUMB A__ OUT the street you dummy! And so on. And they know I'm mad when I start using that "MF" word. Boy they hit the deck quick and how! No tails to be seen for hours.

So I have these 4-legged built in things that make me do my 10th every day. But I just do it like I was taught. I do it at the end of the day when I'm medititating. I just make an imaginary debit/credit sheet, and I review the whole day. And no, I don't cuss at the dogs every single day! And I don't hit them either at all...but you see them after they get stupid, you'd think I did.

I'm finding the more I go along, the less things end up in that "bad side" of the balance sheet. Sometimes theres nothing there which is nice, and I think God is amazed them times too.

My sponsor and me had a fun go round once. I lied to him...and I mean that I never lied to him before, and I don't want to again either. I figured "God" would set up the circumstances where I could just fess up when it was "convenient". No way. Two weeks later, I just came out with it and said I'm sorry. It was eating me up and it wasn't anything big. And you know it was something I didn't have to lie about anyhow. SO he laughed, and we laughed, and said, well two weeks qualifies for "promptly", kinda. But we also seen some guys with well over 20 years, and that "two-week" promptly thing worked out to be the same with them.
garden variety

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:56 pm

LOL, GV. No. It didn't take me 6 weeks to do the 10th. It took me two days until I saw the person--in person. It took 6 weeks for me to REALIZE I even had the resentment! This is actually very unusual for me; I rarely have to take action because I do watch that stuff so carefully. But I also realize I'll NEVER be immune!

:roll:
Anne

We react sanely and normally

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:31 pm

[b]“We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:54 pm

Well now I think Dallas is picking on me .:oops: I'd be looking pretty silly here saying I react sanely and normally, as I'm cussing out the dog. But when it comes to alcohol, I think I do act sanely and normally.

It looks like that promise goes hand in hand with step 2. The problem was with the sanity thing, I didn't have a defense against the drink calling out my name before I found the program. When the alcohol phone rang, I'd always answer. But now staying sober, I remember having one of them experiences where I acted normally and sanely, and you know me, if it says "without thinking", by golly you got me all ears.

I was needing something to drink real bad...dry as a bone...and I had a craving for Gatorade (this was last week). I go to this beverage store/liquor store cause it's the only thing in the neighborhood I'm in. And lordy at the bottles of anything and everything all packed tight, colorful, lit up, spinning and whirling, and almost jumping off the shelf. I saw things and brands I never even heard of! And theres cardboard girls with cardboard bottles bouncing and springing all over the place. Then theres that little airplane that's over your head with a real propeller and a sign behind it that says drink somebody's beer. But I found my Gatorade (you know the original green stuff), and I was done with it. I didn't have any reaction whatsover. I admit I was a little amazed at how many different kinds of things were there, and the setup was real distracting. It seems like when I was drinking, you didn't have that many choices of things to drink. But that's like everything else like toothpaste...I thought I'd have to call my sponsor to get the right kind of toothpaste!

It was like that one promise that says (maybe its more than one):

"We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us."

And thats how it felt that night. And I had to go to liquor stores now and then to get things like energy drink or beef jerkys. Then I feel like it says, neutral and protected. But I do think its based on my spriritual condition.

I have to pray in the morning every morning for a time that my God specifies, then He wants me to meditate at night for a specified time, and I do some of what Dallas said with some of step 10 and some of step 11. See I do the step 11 first to clear out my mind of everything, then I go back and do the days review of step 10. Then I go back and get still and quiet again to finish meditating. And meditating for is a habit that has changed my life absolutely for the better.

Sometimes I don't get an inspiration at night, but there's times when I wake up and BAM, I get a fistful of inspiration that just came out of nowhere first thing in the morning. Those times are awesome and there's no other way to describe it. But meditating, and keeping spiritually fit, and doing this 10th step every day is one of the biggest blessings I know about. I hope all of you can cultivate this as a habit because you sure won't regret it.
garden variety

Postby Anne » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:36 pm

I used to complain that we here in Pennsylvania didn't sell these things in the grocery stores. I can see now how that could be very difficult to live with!

We have only "state stores" and "beer distributors" and bars.
Anne

Promises

Postby surrendered01 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:25 pm

Hi,

I have been sober for 5 years now, for the most part I have expierenced the promises, the part I still struggle with is there is ONE thing I still regret in my past. Maybe one day I will see how my expierence can benefit others, then maybe I will lose this regret? And yes I have discussed this with my sponser and with AA friends.

Make it a great day!

Barbara
surrendered01

Next

Return to 12 Steps