Addictive Personality

Alcoholics and Addicts in 12 Step Programs sharing their personal recovery stories with hope to help others who alcoholics and addicts who want to recover using the 12 Steps.

Addictive Personality

Postby swimurman » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:12 pm

I have fought addictions my entire life but never saw them as connected until I read the book The Addictive Personality by Craig Nakken. During times in my life I have been addicted to alcohol (which I'm not currently using) cigarettes (quit them too) various drugs (kicked those too) and sex (the one I'm currently battling). I would have to say that my addiction to sex is the addiction that is most baffling and difficult to beat. I don't know that it's appropriate on the AA 12 Step Forum, but if it is, I would like to start a forum for addicts who are battling sexual addiction. PM me if you would like to discuss the subject

Rusty Zipper

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:05 pm

swimurman... for me what i have come to see... addiction to anything is just a symptom of a underlying problem...

for me, my natural instint for sex, society, and security is dang ok to have... i have no part in that matter... its a God given thing... its just when i take anyone, or all over the top... ut-oh, trouble, trouble, trouble...

regards.............................. Zip

ps, its a very real subject... good wishes on your topic... and to you...

Postby anniemac » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:50 pm

Hi Swimurman and welcome to the site. Somehow, much to my husband's disdain, sex is about the one thing I'm NOT addicted to. :shock: I, too, feel that I have an addictive personality, gave up booze and drugs and cigarettes also ~~ food and shopping and obsessive thinking can take their place if I'm not careful.

Have a good 24!

Return to “12 Step Addiction Recovery Stories”