- Recovery Quotes and Sayings heard in Meetings

Recovery Quotes and Sayings heard in Meetings

Sobriety quotes and sayings heard in Meetings

Recovery Quotes and Sayings heard in Meetings

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:59 pm

Heard a great quote or saying it in a meeting?
Share it with us here!

(I thought we already had a Quote and Sayings Section...
guess we been posting them elsewhere in other forums!) 8)

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Christmas Candy/treats; What's in it that's NOT for me?

Postby musicmode » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:35 pm

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic,

I was given this "heads-up" when I first came into the program & was so grateful for this piece of advice:

Watch out for the Christmas treats, liquer filled chocolates, baking done w/ brandy, etc. If it's home-made, the person who made it always, or usually always likes to "advertize" how they made such a beautiful creation, so ask the person how they did it/what they put in it? If you're not wanting others to know you're in AA/not drinking, it's easy to skirt around finding out what's in a treat. Then what if they watch ya to see if ya try it or not? That's easy, too...say you just ate & you'll try one later. If they ask ya later if you tried one, can always say it's spectacular--not a lie, cuz--surely, the creation is spectacular.

Last year, at a meeting, there was a girl at a meeting who, she began to speak & was absolutely beside herself, as this was something that she'd never thought of. She was at a staff Christmas party, another person had inadvertantly passed around a bowl of chocolates, this girl took one, & as soon as she bit into it, she could taste the rum...she swallowed it--& the feelin' she got was that warm...relaxed neck muscles...the thought of spitting it out never occured to her. Her talking about it reminded me of the "reminder" I got when I first came in...cuz I came in in Nov., right before the holidays. When it was my turn to share, although I s'pose there was no need to apologize, but I did anyway, to her, cuz this was something that was shared w/ me...I'd just forgotten about it. In my own opinion only...this was something of importance that should be shared at meetings around holiday time, cuz it might just be somethin' we don't think of, or think about.

Easy Does It, kids, 8)
Peace,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Jeanette S. » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:48 pm

I like this one:
NUTS = Not Using The Steps.
[/quote]
Jeanette S.

Postby RichC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 am

One foot in the past, and one in the future.
Your pissing on the present.
RichC

Postby november6 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:33 pm

My least favorite: "It doesn't say 'must' in the Big Book" ha! what!?

My most favorite: "You don't have to like what we like, believe what we believe, think what we think, all you have to do is do what we do" :D
november6

Postby loosh » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Heard recently....
" I've been to meetings where I felt worse leaving , than when I arrived... But they were all successful, as I never drank " :wink:
loosh

Postby Pebbles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:48 pm

I heard a speaker say this at a gratitude banquet we had the first weekend of November:
"It's not what God can do for you, it's what God can do through you.."
Pebbles

Re: Recovery Quotes and Sayings heard in Meetings

Postby Toast » Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Heard a good one tonight.

' Its better to get off our butts and work towards gradual improvement that to sit there practicing delayed perfection.'
Toast

Postby SereneJH4life » Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 pm

My sponsor chairs our Sunday morning meetings wich are "Came to believe" mtgs....last week, while I was sitting there dunking my doughnut in my coffee...she tapped me and said..."come on, your leading today"..I spit the doughnut in my coffee and throw it out on my way to the seat.

She read "God Found Me" from Came to Believe..and I was to share on it for 10 minutes before we went around the room......well....
I started to talk about how I identified with the part of the story where the child falls and has to get back up on thier own or reach for help....I became completely overwhelmed and started to cry....an old timer told me this at the end of the meeting....

"Tears are meant to melt the frozen heart formed by fear"
SereneJH4life

Postby Dallas » Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm

I like that. Thanks for sharing!
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to Quotes and sayings - heard in meetings