- 2 weeks sober

2 weeks sober

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

2 weeks sober

Postby JR » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:04 am

Finally a good connection and a decent computer!!!!

I don't have time to do much reading tonight as I am at work and on a break while I write this. So, I thought I would just let you know how things have been going.

My last drink was August 19. If I make it for another 5 hours I'll have 2 weeks.

I forced myself to go to work August 20th, it was hideous (bad hangover). I had a pretty busy schedule from the 20th to the 23rd and then caught a flight at 8:30 am after getting off work at 6:00 am. I went to my first AA meeting on August 24th at 7:00 am Hawaii time. It was on the grounds of the Stone Church on Alii drive in Kona right next to the ocean.

I got there early and was asked to read How It Works. I only agreed to read it because I was told many years ago that you never say no to AA. I've been pretty emotional lately, so I had doubts in my mind whether I could get through it without crying. As I started to read I had a sense of peace and comfort and joy come over me and I couldn't finish the reading.

How It Works is such a perfect message it could only come from The Higher Power.

I'm still on step one. I'm also on the "pink cloud" phase. The pink cloud is pretty cool. I didn't experience it the first time or second time I got sober. I always heard people speaking about it and wished I could have it.

Going to my first AA meeting in Hawaii was very symbolic for me since I got sober there in 1983. It is very spiritual AA.

I just had a very peaceful and healing vacation. I wrote a lot in my journal, read the Big Book, went to meetings and prayed.

I met a woman at one of the meetings that had gone out after 13 years of sobriety. Our stories were similar in some ways. She has had a difficult time sticking around and even had to put herself through treatment. I hope, one day at a time, that I have learned the lesson that we are supposed to learn by trying controlled drinking.

I tried controlled drinking and once I took the first drink I could not guarantee my behavior or the amount I would drink. I know that I have a fatal and progressive illness. It has progressed even while I was sober.

I know in the 12X12 it talks about raising the bottom. I hope that peering into the abyss is enough for me and that there will be no need to jump into it. I am very grateful that alcohol is already kicking my okole.

I have to go out of town again on Sunday afternoon on a family campout. They are all normal drinkers in my husbands family. There will be drinking there so I will be praying a lot this weekend. Luckily, I have never drank around anyone but my husband. As far as the family knows I don't drink at all. So at least nobody will be trying to hand me a drink.

Gotta go back to work.

JR
JR

Welcome JR

Postby 918gma » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:28 am

Glad to have you aboard. I hope you do well at your family reunion. Stay with it. We are behind you all the wall, any time you need some one to listen, just drop in on my screen. I will always respond.
918gma

Thanks

Postby JR » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:10 am

Thanks for your support 918gma!!!!

While on vacation I never heard a word about Katrina. I just learned about it last night around 11:30pm or so. Makes my problems seem trivial.

I know Higher Power will help me with the family thing, as long as I ask.

I'll let you know how it goes.
JR

please do

Postby 918gma » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:18 am

I'll pray for you. I know how much chaos a family can create when we are first in sobriety.
You said you'rs don't know though, any way a pray or two can't hurt write when you get back
918gma

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:34 am

Oops! :idea: You obviously made the extra 5 hours and I forgot to tell you congratulations on your two weeks!!! Congratulations!!! I would tell you to "Keep coming back"... but, since we have so many things in common, I better tell you what they told me "Just Don't Leave!"

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Way to go Jr

Postby 918gma » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:04 am

Good to hear from you. Congrates on your two weeks. Like Dallas said, stay with us.

Do you have a sponcer yet. I remember you saying you had a family function to go to. Those were the hardest for me when I first got sober. I hope your's went well.
918gma

Postby crickit » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Hi JR. Welcome to the forum and congradulations on 14 x 24 hours. No matter how many times you've tried to quit or how many times you've relapsed, it's still just one day at a time.

Hope your family event went well. When I have to be around people who are drinking I always keep a bottle of water handy. I always have a drink in my hand so I won't be tempted to reach for a bottle.

Best wishes
Crickit
crickit

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery