- Willing to go to any length

Willing to go to any length

Expect the unexpected... or discovered the unsuspected?

Willing to go to any length

Postby 918gma » Tue May 30, 2006 5:18 am

I have recently had the opportunity to learn just what this phrase means. And yes it was very unexpected.
I've learned that it's not a test of faith or courage. He will not ask you to do any thing you can't do with out his help. It's simple because he knows whats best for us. :D :D
918gma

Postby Tina L. » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:59 am

There have been several times that I thought that I was willing to go to any lengths. Each time that I was puking out my guts I was willing to go to any lengths. I came to A.A. because I was willing to go to any lengths. My problem has been that I have too often depended on my willingness to go to any lengths. Willing to go to any lengths and actually going to any lengths is two different things. Willing to go won't get me where I want to be. Willing or not willing - I have to be taking the actions to be on the move. It's just like the faith without actions is dead - willingness without actions is meaningless.

Tina xoxoxo
Tina L.

CURED!!

Postby musicmode » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:38 pm

Hhhel-llll-loooo!!

Is everybody cured??!!

Just kiddin' kids....know it's the holiday season & all...wishin' ya'll a great & sober ho-ho-ho!

Later, baby's,
Peace,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks for breaking the extended "Moment of Silence" Anne!

My thoughts are with you!

I don't think we've got them cured yet... and the silence can sure be fatal... especially during this time of the year!

I've been wondering if... maybe we need to start a new forum... an emply one so that everyone can start filling it up.

Perhaps, we've touched on everything there is to write about in this forum... and there are no new problems out there? :lol:

Sometimes, I think... "well... with over 400 signed up on the forum, seems like 1 in 400 would have the courage to share in one day of the year... and on each new day, we would have a new post!"

I guess that's like A.A. -- it doesn't work in theory... it only works by practice.

I've been a bit busy and under-the-weather healthwise recently... but, it hasn't kept me from A.A. meetings or commitments... I guess I've just been lazy and slothful in regards to posting on the forum!

Well... to be honest, there has been lots of other stuff going on for me... but, so far, my experience proves to me... that "that too shall pass!" :wink:

Thanks for posting Anne!

Now that you've ignited some new fire... maybe someone else will want to stick their marshmellow into it!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby blueangel » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:06 am

Hi all, I'm sure not cured but I've been busy, and barely on the puter at
all lately. I forgot what the subject was at this point but just needed to jump in and say hello to everyone. I think it was willing to go to any length, well yep, I've been doing that up to and including walking in late and everything lately but at least showing up which is better than not showing at all. I guess I could have been slowed down a bit on my schedule but I am just doing the best I can on my scedules and hoping people understand that at least I'm there, even walking in late. me getting anywhere late goes totally against my nature, since I was a * If I can't there on time why go at all type person* but I just apologise and hope they understand that I wasn't out chasing around doing nothing.

Anyway, I mainly just wanted to say hi, and I'm still out here and alive... :lol:

Always, Kay
blueangel

Postby anniemac » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks for waking us up, Anne! Have to say that I've been feeling on the negative side for several weeks now, and I don't like to share my insanity, I'd rather be part of the solution, so I've been keeping quiet here.

I'm in the process of finding a new home group. This has been nagging at me for a while, and the time seems to be right. My home group is in my home town, literally 2 minutes away by car....around the corner. In the summer, I walk there. Very convenient. Real nice folks, too; very friendly and welcoming. However, I'm finding more and more that while they are very Fellowship-oriented, they are not so Program/12-Step oriented.

Last week I shared something, two things actually, there were straight out of the BB, and I was jumped on by a few members, so I went and got my feelings hurt over it. I know the problem lies in my reaction, not their actions...but the timing was good as it reminded me that I'd like to find a new group. So I'm checking out other groups right now and feel a bit in limbo.

Also feeling a bit down in general....no reasons at all except for whatever my head creates, cause all the externals are just fine. So I'm working on that balance of maintaining a positive attitude, yet also taking a look at why I land in these funks every so often; and trying to apply the Steps to this to see where I've fallen short - and/or to accept that I may not ever always feel happy, joyous and free.

Ah, whatever...it's all good, as it leads me to growth and change.

Hoping you're all well!!!
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 am

"We might not have it all together...
but together... we have it all!"

I still suffer from "when I ain't feeling quite right... I don't want to be seen or heard!" How embarrassing to not look and sound good! :oops:

My experience tells me that.... "when I'm not feeling quite right... that's the time I should be seen and heard the most"... but, my Ego has a real tough time believing that!

I've found that for me, the only way to do something different... in those regards... is to "let go absolutely of some of my old ideas" about me having to look and sound good... 8) and reach out... or, to wait until I get so uncomfortable :mrgreen: that I just can't handle it on my own!

When I listen or read... that someone else shares my same similar difficulties... it reminds me that I'm not so unique or alone.

On a different note......... I sure understand that feeling of "wanting to find a new home group." I've been looking for so long that I've sort of given up and decided to make myself at home wherever I'm at!

Thank God for speaker tapes, CD's and mp3 files!!! At least I can keep my head filled with the A.A. that I need to hear while my body is still searching out different meetings that I would prefer to be in! And, the more "at home" that I choose to make myself feel... the more comfortable it is for me while I search. (Of course... Thank God for all of you on this forum, too!!! You help me keep my head filled with the A.A. that I need... in between meetings!)

My head says "just sell your house and move back to L.A. where your real home group is!" ... It's probably a fear that says "Yep. That's great! But, you have two dogs to support and take with you! How will it be for them? Will they enjoy living in the city as much as you do?" :roll:

Too bad the dogs can't talk clear enough so that I can always understand what they're trying to tell me! (Or... is it "too bad I can't hear clear enough to always understand what the dogs are trying to tell me"? )

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks, Dallas. I do have some of that "not wanting to not look/sound good", but more so I work on being appropriate. My sponsor taught me, for instance, that a closed discussion is a more appropriate place to share that I'm not feeling well than at a beginner's meeting, because the purpose of a beginners meeting is to help a beginner and to show them that this program works; that at a beginner's meeting, it's not all about me.

So, along those lines, I didn't feel that this was an appropriate forum to whine about my feelings of self-pity and of being oversensitive and how I've been walking around looking for reasons to be offended. :oops:

Maybe that's my arrogance - determining for all of you what you do and do not need to hear. I do like to carry the message, not spread the mess, so sometimes, as my momma told me, if I ain't got nothin' nice to say, I don't say nuthin' atall.

At any rate, today's a good day - I spoke last night at an Open meeting, and that has never failed to increase my gratitude and serenity. :)
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:05 pm

Sometimes when I read your messages - I could swear it came right out of my own head! :lol:

For me... it's very humbling to appear human. :shock: And, of course... there is a difference in just a whine and a look of human.

One of my greatest weaknesses was (was?) the need to appear perfect in public. I took it to the extreme, though. No one could have guessed that there was an emotional fiber in my being. It was always so important for me to control and maintain the image that I wanted others to see. (Almost like I was an Actor... on Life's Big Stage all the time. Playing my roles perfectly).

When things didn't work out the way I thought they should work out... or, I appeared a little too much like human... it disturbed the heck out of me and sometimes made me thirsty. :roll:

My first sponsor used to asked me questions like "Have you ever tried being the self that you really are instead of the self that you want everyone else to see?"

I began to notice that when others would risk and have the courage to share their weaknesses.... it helped me to open up and to begin to start sharing about my own. And, once I began sharing my own weaknesses... I discovered that "we" (including me) began to laugh at things that had always bothered me. I experienced a true freedom from being "so unique and different." I discovered that I was not alone and that others experienced the same things that I was experiencing.

The real reward for me, (the good feelings about myself) came down the road... when others began to take me aside, and share things with me, like "You know, Dallas... when you began talking about some of your weaknesses... I began to experience a freedom from thinking that I was so different!" Wow!!! Is that like helping someone other than me?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:49 pm

great thread...

as mentioned.. being the real me.. not the old what i wanted peeps to see me as, was the greatest link to freedom...

am i ready to give these things up was asked of me in the steps.

looking back... pride was my (_|_) kick'r...

happy holidaze... xxoo, zip
Rusty Zipper

Next

Return to Expect The Unexpected in Sobriety