- First week

First week

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

First week

Postby Thelma » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:33 am

After a hectic festive season I have finally decided to quit. Have now 3 days under my belt. Today is day 4. I had tremendous sweats, panic attacks, agitation, emotional outbursts and insomnia. Starting to feel slightly better.
My question is how do I break my thought processes/behavior/association with certain things, that tell me that I need a drink at a certain time of the day? I'm so used to stop at the shop after work that I get completely aggressive if I don't have that drink - although my body doesn't even want it sometimes.
Thelma

Postby Gretchen » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Congratulations on your decision! When I was newly sober (3-4 days) I was convinced that my car kept trying to drive me to a store where I could buy beer. At that time, my only tool was the serenity prayer: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." I began talking about my stinkin' thinkin' at AA meetings-- that at 5:00 my body wanted a drink and my car wanted me to have one as well. That was my second tool -- talking to others who had the same dilemas that I had -- AA. You're on your way to sobriety!
Gretchen

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:13 am

For me, I've discovered... that it's a whole lot easier to stay sober... than it is to get sober!

Getting sober nearly killed me! Nothing was so painful as the early days of being sober.

The other thing I discovered... was that the pain of getting sober would pass... as long as I didn't pick up a drink and have to start the detox cycle all over again!

I don't want to ever forget how painful it was for me to get sober! If I forget that... I'll probably be within an arms reach of the next first drink.

Thelma, within the next few days... the physical affects of the alcohol withdrawal will be behind you. You won't have to experience that again, as long as you don't pick up the next first drink. It will be over and you'll never have to go through it again... if you take some "certain simple actions."

To stop the physical effects of the alcohol... we just stop drinking.

The real task at hand... is staying stopped!

I used to quit drinking... sometimes... thirty times a day! My problem was that I couldn't stay stopped! For me... that's what it means to be alcoholic. Sure, I can stop drinking... I just can't stay stopped on my own!

That's the first half of the first Step. Powerless means that I'm alcoholic and I can't leave it alone -- for good.

I discovered... that the second half of the first Step -- means, that "my life is unmanageable sober!"

When I first came to A.A., I thought the second half of the first Step was referring to my life... while I was drinking. And, it wasn't. It was referring to my life... sober! (I was actually better at managing my life while I was drinking... than I was at managing my life while sober! That's not really saying much... because I wasn't doing a very good job at managing my life while I was drinking, either!)

Hang in there Thelma. This too shall pass --- if you don't take the next drink, and if you take the next right actions.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby jennie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:49 pm

I discovered... that the second half of the first Step -- means, that "my life is unmanageable sober!"

When I first came to A.A., I thought the second half of the first Step was referring to my life... while I was drinking. And, it wasn't. It was referring to my life... sober! (I was actually better at managing my life while I was drinking... than I was at managing my life while sober! That's not really saying much... because I wasn't doing a very good job at managing my life while I was drinking, either!)

Well, thanks for scaring the crap out of me Dallas!

I'm only day 3 of the very FIRST time I've ever tried to quit. All the physical and emotional changes are exhausting, yet I can't get a good night sleep. :roll:

I can't imagine that sobriety is going to be even harder to live in than to reach.
jennie

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:06 pm

Hey Jennie!!! Welcome to the site!

Congratulations on your three days! What I meant by the above... if I applied it in reference to your experience... for example... is "Nothing will be as hard as those three days!" It does get better!

The physical exhaustion will be over soon. That gets over... as long as we don't take the next first drink. The 12 Steps will provide relief for the mental and emotional exhaustion... and they will keep us comfortable so that we have no desire to pick up the next drink. And, they work! :wink:

Glad you're here! Keep coming back! All of us here wish the very best for you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:18 am

Hi Thelma, and Jennie also ~

How're you two doing today?

The thing that helped me the most to resist a drink in the first couple of weeks was to "move a muscle, change a thought". My sponsor told me to do anything that would literally sweat the craving out of me....go for a walk, go to the gym, scrub the bathtub, jog in place. Not only did those actions distract me from sitting around in my usual routine and thinking of drinking, but they physically changed me as well - got those feel-good brain chemicals going, which is really important for me.

Let us know how you're doing!

Anne
anniemac

Postby anniemac » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:19 am

By the way, there's an AA book called "Living Sober" -- picking up a copy at a meeting may be worth your while.
anniemac

Thelma, you havent posted since Jan 2

Postby bill » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:36 am

Let us know how you are doing. Are you still sober?
bill

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober