- 12 Steps to A Slip

12 Steps to A Slip

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

12 Steps to A Slip

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:37 pm

12 Steps to a Slip

Every slip has it's beginnings - know your danger points!

1. Start missing meetings for any reason, real or imaginary.

2. Become critical of the methods used by other members, who may not agree with you in everything.

3. Nurse the idea that someday, somehow, you can drink again like a controlled drinker.

4. Let the other member do the 12th Step work in your group. You are too busy.

5. Become conscious of your A.A "Seniority" and view every new member with skeptical and jaundiced eye.

6. Become so pleased with your own views of the program, that you consider yourself an "Elder Statesman."

7. Start a small clique within your own group, composed of only a few members who see eye to eye with you.

8. Tell the new member in confidence that you yourself do not take certain of the 12 steps seriously.

9. Let your mind dwell more and more on how much you are helping others rather than on how much A.A. program is helping you.

10. If an unfortunate member has a slip, drop him at once.

11. Cultivate the habit of borrowing money from other members, then stay away from the meetings to avoid embarrassment.

12. Look upon the 24 hour plan as a vital thing for new members, but not for yourself. You have outgrown the need of that long ago.
Dallas
Site Admin

Great list

Postby Serenity » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:41 am

Great list. Thanks for sharing it.

Serenity
Serenity

Hello

Postby Spiritman » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:07 pm

I still enjoy reading these pages. They are wonderful. I am not around much, today is the first day in eons I have hit the web. I am glad to see so many of the same folks still on the pages.

Peace and Soberity to all!

The Spiriman
Spiritman

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:45 am

Hey Spiritman!!! I've missed you. Hope you get back here more often!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Hope » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:07 am

spirit man I miss reading your messages too. Where have you been and what have you been doing tht is so important to keep you away for eons?

First things first!

Hope
Hope

Postby Tina L. » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:15 pm

I read this here and have learned how true that it is: Sober alcoholics just seem to stop doing what's keeping them sober and then they are surprized to discover that they have relapsed and are drinking again.

Tina xoxoxo
Tina L.

12 steps to a slip

Postby musicmode » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:27 pm

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic,

How sooo-so true. I've witnessed these steps 5, 7, 10 & 12. As well, to be honest, I've done this step 1, because I've become critical, or my feelin's 've been hurt (like...wah :oops: ). I've seen members git up & leave a meetin' cuz they're mad about somethin' someone else said, along with the mind-set-a "who needs this?" I've also learned by observation that it was believed that by goin' to meetin' after meetin', doin' as much service work as can be fitted into a schedule--with the mind-set that if no one else'll do it, I will...keepin' too busy to do one's own step work also leads to a slip, with an after-effect of "how did this happen? I'm doin' this & that &...&...&..." When an individual does this, I do not shun them...I try & lead 'em back down the path & have them see what they see as missin' in the picture, as this was done with me with caring & compassion after I'd slipped--back-track...see where ya got stuck, plant a 'red-flag', learn from it & keep goin'...ya'll'll know to watch fir that pot-hole now. It's a new learnin' ground for us cuz we're alcoholics. It's natural for us to drink, & we acquire the new mental set that it is not, in fact, natural. This comes with the spiritual awakening as a result of these steps--not by doin' cart-wheels 'round meetin' halls. I seen once--a guy come in...very first meetin' ever, right after New Year's/Christmas...this particular meetin' was goin' to be followed by a business meetin' where we were to elect new service members. I greeted him with a hand-shake, explained that all the goin's on's & that he didn't need to worry 'bout that, & that we were havin' a regular meetin' first, & that he'd come to the right place. I invited 'im to sit, or if he preferred, (I saw that he had a pack-a cigarettes in his pocket), that he was welcome to have a smoke B4 we started. He chose this (we gotta stand outside-town by-law thing). When he come back in, one-a the other members saw this new face, approached him, welcomed him & asked him if he'd be interested in bein' on the committee cuz we need...& she went on to say what all we needed. I tried to interrupt 'er to stop 'er...nothin' doin'. I'm thinkin' "oh-no...no-no-no...while maintainin' composure. The 1st-timer's head kept veerin' back further & further, he'd try to take a step back, she'd take a step forward. I'm lookin' at him, motionin' my hand&shakin' my head tryin' to tell 'im not to get worried or nothin'. 'Course, my part--I'm now lookin' as nutty to 'im as she's comin' across. She fin'lly finished 'er spiel by sayin' that it was the service work that kept 'er sober, & she turned & walked away. He looked at me with a 'what-the-____' look on his face. I calmly invited 'im in, assurin' him that he didn't have to, I asked him when his last drink was, he'd said the night B4, bar til closin', wife locked 'im out like she'd promised. I asked 'im if he was ready to stop for himself, he nodded & said he was tired a wakin' up sick&tired, & needin' a drink to git goin'. I invited him to come & sit, that he didn't have to say nothin' if he didn't want to, ya don't gotta do nothin' & that the business meetin' was after, he didn't have to stay for that (unless he wanted to), & that we could help ya turn things around. He did come in, but he was really unsure. I asked him if he wanted a coffee, he only nodded..I got it for 'im. He settled in, & the lady says to 'im & says..so have ya thought about it? I leaned across the table & quietly said to 'er that this was his very 1st meetin'. She knew that, she said. The meetin' started...he did stay...but he never come back again. After he left (& just 'bout a-runnin', too), I quietly said to the lady that that guy likely won't be back again--I hoped I was wrong, cuz--we know, if ya want it bad enough...right? I tried to explain to 'er that ya don't hit a 1st-timer with all that--he didn't even know what ya'll was talkin' 'bout, & that he prob'ly took-it to mean that he had to do one-a these things...his last drink was the night B4, etc. This lady, bless 'er soul, believed that by keepin' busy with service work & meetin's...she never had time to do 'er steps...that that was all she needed to stay sober. Granted, she did a lot...but--she did slip, & wondered why? I could see it comin' :cry: , & I'd say somethin' like, don't get stuck on a step, keep movin' on yir steps...she'd keep sayin' she didn't have time. But that's okay...cuz now she does know & she's readjusted a few things in 'er life & now has time to work on 'er steps. The guy--did eventually come back.

Gotta run.
Love,
Anne 8)
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:17 pm

Thanks for that great share Anne!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby musicmode » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:18 pm

Mornin' all...###...afta-noon if that be the time-a day where ya ####

My name's Anne, I'm an alcoholic....

Yip, yip, yip...our best thinkin' got us here :roll:

Tap 'er cool t'day gang,

Lov'n ya'll,
Anne M. 8)
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:59 am

Tina L. wrote:I read this here and have learned how true that it is: Sober alcoholics just seem to stop doing what's keeping them sober and then they are surprized to discover that they have relapsed and are drinking again.

Gee. Imagine that! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober