- Hitting Bottom - How do you know when you've hit bottom?

Hitting Bottom - How do you know when you've hit bottom?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:34 pm

When I was new in A.A., I remember how curious I was when I would hear something like: "He hasn't hit bottom yet." Or... "She hasn't hit her bottom."

It seemed as though the concept of hitting bottom was an important ingredient in the recipe for long-term sobriety... so, naturally I wanted to know what was meant by "hitting bottom."

So, I asked an oldtimer A.A. member "How do you know when you've hit bottom?"

His reply was: "You know you've hit your bottom when you stop digging!" :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

hitting bottom

Postby musicmode » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:13 pm

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic,

I knew I hit bottom when, to go deeper would-a meant dead, or--wantin' outta the pit I was in. I knew one thing fo' sho'...didn't wanna be dead, didn't wanna be where I was neither. I was outta options, no fight power, no drink power, no power what so ever. I was finished. I thought there was no where to go for me...but there was. All I had to do, was want outta that spot bad 'nuff & I did. When ya can't go no further down, there's only 1 way to go...up. I started reachin' & graspin' & climbin'...AA was like a life-boat. I reached for it-made the call..but the line was too long (got put on hold :? )...still needed to want it bad 'nuff, I guess...few days later, I called AA again...this time...I was gonna sit on hold, didn't care if it was 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks...I could out wait the hold button. I wanted it bad 'nuff. I was desperate & scared-a where I was & didn't wanna be feelin' like that ever again...I wanted it bad 'nuff.

Thanks for lettin' be ramble off a share.

Keep it simple, kids,
Peace,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:25 pm

i knew i had hit bottom when i picked up my sad sorry ass, went over to the phone, called the local intergroup office...and said... HELP! then, i surenderd...

i couldnt go one more day of the exaustion of maintaning my alcoholism... it was do something... or die...

xxoo, bless.................................... zip

and hope everyone is well...

hiya Mr BB... :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby anniemac » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:04 pm

My first year or so in AA, I was afraid that I hadn't hit my bottom. I heard stories about folks who couldn't get out of bed without drinking, who shook when they didn't drink, who lost jobs & families, who had been in jail, etc. Based upon that, and some of the basic text in the BB, I felt that I had much further down to go before I would be truly willing to surrender.

However, at the same time, I knew that I didn't want to go back out and find that lower bottom, and I also knew that the direction I had been heading was going to lead me to all of those things. After some time, I stopped wondering if my bottom was low enough to keep me put, and instead focused on embracing my new design for living.

I know there is a lower bottom out there for me. However, the bottom I hit was enough for me to want to change my life, and for that I am grateful.
anniemac

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:58 pm

annie
I know there is a lower bottom out there for me.

why yep annie... the dreaded... Yets!

one can take the high bottoms, one can take the low bottoms... hmmm?... maybe the middle bottom?...

for me, i kind of ran out of yets... i'm shure theres a few tho... i know the one i would not like.... ouch!

good wishes annie...

xxoo, zip
Rusty Zipper

hitting bottom first

Postby Dallas » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:07 pm

I can remember the first time that I showed up in A.A., I would listen to some of the other alcoholic stories and think "Gees, if I had gotten as bad off as that person... I would have quit drinking too!"

The thought didn't register in my head that alcoholism was progressive, (I thought it was only progressive for other people... not for me) and that the damaging side effects were progressive... and that I already reached a level of powerless to stop drinking without help.

I've heard it said, that "hitting bottom for me was when I recognized that I was continually lowering my standards of what I would allow myself and my life to be like... so that the standards would match my experiences." I can certainly relate to that one!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober