- Hello from Australia

Hello from Australia

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Hello from Australia

Postby Phillip » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi, I'm Phillip and I am an alcoholic,

Although born in New Zealand I now call Australia home. I was born one of eight children in to a house where alcohol was a rarity. By my mid - late teens however I was a regular user of alcohol which often saw me in to trouble of some sorts, but always struggling for identity. At this time I was regularly receiving warnings from others about how much I drank, and the effect it was having on others. Lo & behold though I ended up finding a job in the liquor industry ( I thought I was made ), a job where I excelled and after a decade in the trade had worked my way through to being a wine media personality and wine judge, a job that allowed me to extensively travel the world. It was the Black-Tie set and I loved every minute of it and gathered enormous wealth.

By age 40 however things had already started to change for the worse and from then on my wealth and well-being declined. I destroyed two marriages and ended up with no friends and/or family. I detoxed many times and entered many rehabs and failed every time. I entered the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous many times but never seemed to grasp the program. It was not until 3rd September 2002 that I detoxed again and immediately re-entered the rooms of AA to try again. By now I was under 50 kilos and had been sleeping under bridges, my life had taken a total turn-around.

Through finally handing my will over to the care of a higher power and regular meetings and service work I have managed to stay dry, I have re-married for a third time and have finally grasped the ideals of 'Just for today'. Thankyou AA, I am eternally grateful.
Phillip

Welcome Phillip!

Postby Dallas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:24 pm

Welcome to Step12.com Phillip!!! Glad you found us! And, thank you for sharing with us!

Austrailia!!! I've been seeing these TV commercials for vacations to Austrailia -- and it sure has set up a craving inside me for a trip to Austrailia! It looks so beautiful and fun!

Now, with you here -- knowing that I can find me an A.A. friend who can help me find the good A.A. meetings down in Austrailia -- it's moving me closer to really wanting to make a trip down there!

As I read your story -- I thought of my similarities! So, thanks for sharing... and keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi Phillip ~

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your story. And a dramatic story, at that. Stories like yours are important to me. My life didn't change all that much (on the outside) while I was drinking, so the reality of my alcoholism escaped me for many years. At the end of my drinking, though, the downward spiral was rapid and all those "yets" became possiblities. Your story helps to reinforce to me that although things may not have gotten "too bad", I was still on the fast track to hell, and would be again if I ever pick up a drink.

We share the same sober year ~~ wow, both of us will get our marbles back this year!! (Does Australia AA have that expression? That it takes 5 years to get your marbles back, and 10 years to learn how to use them??)

Anne
anniemac

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories