- Doing God's will

Doing God's will

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Doing God's will

Postby new2this » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:15 am

Hi all----

Hope everyone is doing well.

Oh, and I gotta say.....Hello, Cricket!!!! So good to have you back! :D You sure were missed, and I hope that everything is going as smoothly as possible. I know that for me personally, moving was never a smooth operation!

Ummm....I have a couple of questions for ya'll. (Brace yourself for a long post!!!) :shock:

Does anybody other than myself struggle with "doing God's will"? Does anyone else try to "figure out" what God's will is? The Book tells me that it is to be "happy, joyus and free". Some days....it just comes. Some days.....I kind of have a clue. Other days...... I couldn't figure it out with a will-detector.

Life has been insane for me lately. I'm pretty sure that I'm messing it up even more. And I just don't know what to do. Heck, I don't need any help screwing things up!! Maybe you guys know how it goes.......I try one thing....and that doesn't work. I try something else.....and that doesn't work. I try still something else.....and that doesn't work. Is that trying to 'run the show'? I suppose that's exactly what it is, but by the same tolken, I'm supposed to action, right?

I read. I do my lists. I pray. Then I'm afraid my prayers are selfish and wrong. Then, I ask God to forgive me for being selfish in my other prayers. I'm not sure that I do any better in my following prayers. He must get pretty frustrated with me. I try to meditate. Sometimes, I must do it right, because I feel so much lighter and happier. Sometimes, though, I must be doing it wrong because I feel either the same or worse.

I was asked to share at a meeting tonight. I didn't. I remembered that you don't get to air "issues" at a meeting. So I didn't share. But, if I'm honest.....I just didn't want to. Maybe I wanted to have another self-pity party. Maybe I didn't want to bring the other people down. Maybe my pride didn't want me to embarrass myself with an imperfect life. Maybe it was just too damn hard to admit life sucked sober. Maybe it was all of those things and then some. I just don't know, anymore.

I was watching a movie earlier, something I rarely do. It just happened to catch my attention. Anyhoo.... in the show, there was this guy who was a recovering alcoholic, and lost his son. Some of you know that I have a little history there. I found myself crying.....another thing I try not to do. Anyway, at one point, his sponsor just looks at him and says (none too nicely)......"Well congratulations......you've started feeling again."

My mind is spinning. I'm sober. I'm feeling. Things aren't going my way. God probably thinks I'm so insane that He's got to move on to other more promising prospects. I don't think God has abandoned me, though. Now that is a totally new attitude for my type of thinking. The thing is, I'm just not sure how to do His will for me.

How's that for a pity-party?

Sorry about all the questions.

On a lighter note.....Thanks ya'll for letting me vent. Thanks for being here. And I sure hope that all of you are doing well. Tomorrow will be better for me and I hope that it is a great day for all of ya'll, as well.(That's "hillbilly" speak! #### :wink:

Next time I post something, I'll try to keep it a little more happy and joyus! Promise.

Take Care All,

Cathy
Last edited by new2this on Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
new2this

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:35 am

Well. I better keep my trap shut on this one. We know how insensitive and politically incorrect that I am. Kind of like a dinosaur, I’ve been told :lol: And, a broken record. And, “why does he keep repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

HI

Postby 918gma » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:32 am

I probably shouldn't either, but I have had my own strugles with this issue. I am begining to understand that I put too much thought into the God thing. If I truly believe he is in charge there is no reason to question. It's a trust issue to me. The next right thing is usually whats right in front of me to do. If we truly trust that God is in charge, and we have turned our will and our lives over to him, we say our prayers ask only for his will and the strength to carry that out, then there's nothing left for us to do except what's right in front of us.

Later in our meditation of the day, we can go down our check list and see how well we did. Did I step on toes, did I use my tools, do I have any amends to make for the day. Then we know; well I must have slip out of Gods will for a minute there or there. And the next day we get up and we do it again, having learned from the experiences of the day befor. Not regret, learn

I don't know if that helps you or not, but it seems to have helped me.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:10 am

new2this wrote:Does anybody other than myself struggle with "doing God's will"?

If you already know that God's will is for you to
1. Stay sober,
2. Help others,
3. Trust God, and
4. Clean house ... so that you, too, can be happy, joyous and free...

Which part of that are you struggling with?

Are you searching for a second or third opinion about what you already know that you should be doing?

The more time I can spend figuring out, the longer I can procrastinate with what I already know that I should be doing.

To "figure out" sounds more academic, and spiritually and intellectually acceptable than if I admit that what I'm doing is just procrastinating, and hoping that I won't have to change my actions to produce different results.

Try asking yourself these two questions:

"If I knew what God's will for me is, would I really do it?"

"If I knew what God's for me was, would I really be willing to go to any lengths to do it?"

If you can answer "Yes" to those two questions... you probably already know what God's will is for you. And, instead of continuing to "pray for the knowledge of His will for you and the power to carry it out" I would suggest that you spend some time "praying for the willingness to carry it out."

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

God's will

Postby Uncletoad » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:42 am

Dallas is right. Perhaps I can say the same thing in a different way.

I think it’s important for me to remember I am “not Godâ€
Uncletoad

Proper use of my will

Postby JR » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:48 pm

BB pg. 85

Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.

The most convincing passage about the way my unaided will operates is on BB pg. 60 right after the abc's to page 63 just before the 3rd step prayer. I have read it 100's of times and it still brings new light to bare on the darker side of my nature.

It tells me that even though my motives are good I will almost always be in collision with something or somebody else. Even if I think I am being kind, considerate, patient, generous; even modest and self-sacrificing.

Alcoholics are Driven by a HUNDRED forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

Just walk outside and try to create one blade of grass. You will quickly see that we humans, let alone alcoholics cannot possibly understand the mind of God. And the fact of the matter is that we don't have to.

We are most fortunate to have been provided the abc's and 123's of how to get through this life happy, joyous and free.

Certainly on my journey I have failed and failed again, but I have also had many moments of peace and serenity. It is good to be relieved of the perceived responsibility of running the show and just being able to stay sober, trust God and clean my own back yard.

Thanks for letting me share,

JR
JR

Postby Rusty Zipper » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:54 pm

well might as well stick my three-cents in! ### im terminaly unique #### lmassoff! :lol: when i can do something, act on something, think of something, or say something! and not have any feelings of ???'s have that inner sence of piece! for me, thats The Power Greaters will! ... oh, and also when the chitz hits the fan! when i can acept it with "Grace" TPG's will... i try to run everyday on ### there's that three thing #### simple things. a belief in something other than "Me" as"Honest" as i can be! ### myself, and ####, and "Freely, and i mean Freely" giving!!! man what a tall order! .. but i love sobriety, and life too much. as to take a chance on regressing back to the old me! a big "Phoey" :roll: nice to read all the posts! have a starfull night! ### #### see y'a'll real soon! xoxo and bless! Rusty, aka PC ... nighters :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby new2this » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:04 am

Hi to All---

Thanks to all of you for your posts! Hope everyone is doing well.

I promised that my next post would be more happy and joyus. I gotta live up to that and save myself some amends! :wink:

I made it through yesterday and through today........ and got another day sober! :D That is due in large part to you guys. Also due in part to my homegroup and my sponsor. Also due in large part to God as I understand Him. And while my day wasn't euphoria.....it was a pretty darn good day. I've got lots of stuff to put on my gratitude list, ya know? I have so much to be thankful for.

Well, I'll keep this short...I have a way of yammering on about nothing. Thanks again for sharing your experience, strength and hope with me. Maybe you can imagine how much it helped. And will help in the future, too.

Oh...I just now saw your post, Rusty. Thanks for being terminally unique and having three whole cents! :lol: I'm sitting here laughing at the monitor like an idiot! Huh, imagine that?

You guys are so great!

Take Care,

Cathy
new2this

Postby crickit » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi Cathy. I guess I'm a little late in responding to this. I just got my own computor up and running today.

Looks like everybody has already said it all anyway. Glad to hear you got through it.

I just wanted to add that it's perfectly normal to try this and that and not everything works out the way you expected or wanted it too. We all have to make decissions every day and if we make them with an open mind and open heart, gods direction is there. Everything we do is an experience that gives us a chance to learn and grow. We are going to make mistakes. We usually get stressed trying to make decissions that will change our future and feel unsure which is the 'right' thing to do. My move is something I struggled with for weeks until I just let go and realized that if it doesn't work out I can always move again. Not the end of the world and it doesn't affect anyone but me. If things don't work out here I know that my higher power will give me the strength and courage to move on again. I'm not expected to be perfect and I certainly don't think I have all the right answers and make all the right choices. My higher power has given me the ability to learn and grow. The choices I make are part of that experience.

HAPPY 24 HOURS
Crickit
crickit

Well said

Postby 918gma » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:25 am

Again it's good to have you back crickit.

Our lives are really easier, if we just remember God's in charge and all we have to do is stay out of his way and do what he puts right in front of us.
918gma

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery