- How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:14 am

dc, nice to meet you... and thanks for the great posts all...

the fun keeps 'o come'n after my 3 1/2+ now... i was at a meets the other night... this quiet guy that always sat in the back was tell'n his story... he blew me the freak away... he works at a recovery shelter, his story was one of the best... real powerfull... why this fell'a got thrown out of the Grand Canyon!!! ... ouch'y wow-wow! ... he also talked about the attitude, the alky attitude... the couldnt give a chitz attitude, and the me, me, me's, and at a very young age... indentify time for zip!... what i got from him... give back, give back, give it back...

so today, i'm o' give'n back...

zip... alk'y/addict, gots a homegroup, sponser, and give'n some hope to anyone one that wants it...

life, on that life time of terms... revovery from the reaction to life is a real possibility...

dont drink, go to meets, clean house, and trust in the powers that be

xxoo, bless'n's............................. zip
Rusty Zipper

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:05 am

Just as every alcoholic has an individual way of working the AA program, I don't think that there can be a hard and fast rule about how soon to work the steps. The main thing is to begin working them. A good sponsor will know how long a sponsee needs to stay with a step and when it is time to move to the next one.

There is wisdom in not pushing a newcomer too fast. 'A heavy downpour runs off, but a gentle, persistent rain soaks in.'
Tim

Hello and Thank Yoiu

Postby Spiritman » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:32 am

I love the wisdom words you shared: There is wisdom in not pushing a newcomer too fast. 'A heavy downpour runs off, but a gentle, persistent rain soaks in.'
Thank you.

I told you folks I would get back a week or so ago. I did not get back.
Sorry about that.

Peace,
The Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Dallas » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:32 pm

'A heavy downpour runs off, but a gentle, persistent rain soaks in.'

I felt the same way when I read that. Lot's of depth in that one!

Thanks to both of you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Zanthos » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:56 am

Dallas wrote:Later, it was proved to me, that I was wrong again.

I've come to really love it when Life shows me that I'm wrong. It means I'm still learning!
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:09 am

Tim wrote:'A heavy downpour runs off, but a gentle, persistent rain soaks in.'

But sometimes you need a pickax to get to the fertile soil. :twisted:
Zanthos

Postby Spiritman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:11 pm

I don't mind being wrong, it's human!
I love learning and being nourished in the process.

Peace,
Spiritman

Postby DebbieV » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:05 pm

Hey All,

This is one of those things ( this topic ) I didn't understand how they ( our founders ) took the steps in one day, until I got a sponsor who not only told me to read the book, stay out of the stories ( until I had done the steps), and read from the first page to page to 103 ( not page one, but from the first page with writing on it ) but also read most of 58-88 with me ( or had me read it out loud) while we went through steps 4-12.
I got sober on Jun 12, 2007 and had a little trouble with step one and two. I got to step 3 about 4 times and would go back to one and two, because this alcoholics likes to make things complicated. About the end of June I knew I had done step 1,2 and 3 with out question, so I started on my sponsor, when are we going to do 4? today? today? today?
then I got "we will start on 4 Monday and should be finished by Thursday" Aug 1, 2007) Just two days to do my 4th, It has to take longer than that, I have screwed up a lot in my life 'no, finish all the steps by Thursday" I was told :shock: OH WHAT AN ORDER!!!!! but at 51 days sober I did go through with it, and I cant tell you how great it is today. On that Wednesday and Thursday that I will remember for the rest of my life, my heart opened up and I "let God back in" ( he was there all along I just didn't want to see him ) I saw things about myself that I never had, I trusted God more than I did when I gave up on him 11 years ago, I saw the world in a different way than I ever had, I told another human being things I had told no one and they didn't laugh or judge and I became free, in a way that I don't know how to but into words, a very profound feeling of calm, happiness, freedom, no pain, no fear. I could go on and on, but if you have done your steps I bet you know ( I hope ) and if you haven't, do them and you will know.
How long should they take? For me there is two questions you could ask yourself. One, do you believe what the Big Book says is true? if yes, than I have to assume you would believe, One Day is how long. That is what our founders did, and it seem to work for them. Two, How much pain are you in? Me? I wasn't spiritually sick I was spiritually dead, I needed a spiritual awakening and I needed to help someone else, to keep my spirit alive, and the book tells me in step 12 ' Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs' now how would I do any of that if I hadn't taken the 12 steps? I didn't want to sit in meetings, or anyplace else for that matter, being spiritually dead inside for another day, month, year or God forbid longer than that. I was in pain and needed help, wanted help.
The book makes some serious promises on page 83 when you do step 9, and I, for one, did not want to hang out for any longer than I had to for those promises to start happening in my life, and once again I do believe what the book says and it says if I do step 9 Painstakingly, then I will be amaze before I am half way though, and once again I can say that the book keep its word.
That is my experience, Strength and Hope on this topic. I can say without question taking those steps changed me in a way that I couldn't even hope for, let alone imagine.
Thanks for letting me take up so much space
Deb
DebbieV

Previous

Return to 12 Steps