- Pigeon Origin of the Term

Pigeon Origin of the Term

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Pigeon Origin of the Term

Postby alimbagirl » Thu May 17, 2007 4:50 am

Does anyone know where the term pigeon comes from? My group is doing a group inventory and it is a topic that came up. Thanks.
alimbagirl

Postby Dallas » Thu May 17, 2007 6:59 am

“Pigeonâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Thu May 17, 2007 7:00 pm

I dont know if I should be sticking my nose in this, but I been called a pigeon because I sometimes look like I dont have a clue whats going on or they think I'm stupid. Now thats not people in AA that said that but when I was younger. I didnt want to look so stupid so I looked it up once and it sure enough means what they said it means - but it means mostly in gambling for somebody thats easy to fool. Now Im not talking about the sponsor thing with the pigeons.

I guess the way I see it in AA is that pigeons are birds that come back to where they belong - they dont fly south or anything - they always hang around downtown up north here even in winter. They say "keep coming back" to the new guys and girls at meetings so I thought it might be like the way pigeons can be let loose and they come back home (I saw movies where they do that) - so they want these "pigeons" to "keep coming back" home to AA or stay close to their sponsor. So the new guys and girls probably act like pigeons either hanging around downtown and getting into trouble or they keep coming back and staying out of trouble. Guess their bound to do one or the other just like the pigeons. And of course they leave a mess all over the place too.

I know that involved a little bit of thinking which is what my sponser says is not my strongest point, but if I look at pigeons (new folks) like the birds then I dont look at them as being stupid. Maybe this whole thing sounds a little silly even to me but it still makes sense to me that they are pretty much like the real birds.
garden variety

pigeon

Postby alimbagirl » Sun May 20, 2007 7:19 am

I wish someone actually knew why, I actually like the term. I know that the Camel also has symbolism in AA and I have read that it is because they kneel in the morning to get their load, and they carry it all day, and then they kneel at night to unload.

But I am still interested in why the term pigeon is used. My grand-sponsor told me it is because they make a lot of noise and sit in their own ####. That makes sense to me... :wink:
alimbagirl

Postby anniemac » Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Ah, interesting take on the camel....I heard it was because they can go 24 hours without anything to drink. Maybe that just makes more sense to me, since I don't pray on my knees.

The term "pidgeon" isn't used much around here, if at all. It seems derrogatory to me, as in someone less than human, who is "managed" by their sponsor. Just my take on it, of course....
anniemac

Postby lenny » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:29 pm

What the word pigeon means is for newcomers who don't get it and after awhile of working with them they fly the coop,an old-timer told me it was because the new people crap on us.
lenny

Postby Toast » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:13 pm

We call sponsee's pigeons' because eventualy they always come back, dump their crap on you then fly off again into the sunset. :lol:
Toast

Postby cue » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:33 pm

I've heard the term but the only people who use it here are members who visit the States.
cue

Postby Then, and only then » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Because they crap on you and fly away.
Then, and only then

Return to Sponsors Forum