- More benefits from A.A.’s Daily Inventories

More benefits from A.A.’s Daily Inventories

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:48 am

My experience has been that the A.A. Daily Inventories -- Step Ten, has been the one tool that I use most often that produces the greatest benefits for my life. It helps me dissolve my emotional disturbances. It helps me to grow in personal understanding and effectiveness. It helps me to make spiritual progress. It also helps me to gain a better understanding of others – and it helps me to better understand why they do what they do – that so often hurts my feelings – which will cause me to feel disturbed.

Bill W., wrote in the 12 & 12, page 90, on Step 10 wrote: It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us. If somebody hurts us and we are sore, we are in the wrong also. But are there no exceptions to this rule? What about "justifiable" anger? If somebody cheats us, aren't we entitled to be mad? Can't we be properly angry with self-righteous folk? For us of A.A. these are dangerous exceptions. We have found that justified anger ought to be left to those better qualified to handle it.

Few people have been more victimized by resentments than have we alcoholics. It mattered little whether our resentments were justified or not. A burst of temper could spoil a day, and a well-nursed grudge could make us miserably ineffective. Nor were we ever skillful in separating justified from unjustified anger. As we saw it, our wrath was always justified. Anger, that occasional luxury of more balanced people, could keep us on an emotional jag indefinitely. These emotional "dry benders" often led straight to the bottle. Other kinds of disturbances--jealousy, envy, self-pity, or hurt pride--did the same thing.

When I was less experienced with A.A.’s Way of Life – I used to get resentful at the A.A. Way of Life! It seemed as though it was always picking on me! Making me out to be the bad guy in all situations – and I would wonder, “how can this negativity directed towards self – bring any kind of positive results?â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks, Dallas. I spent a lot of time in sobriety looking for reasons to be offended, and I always found them. It took me a long time to realize that I was very self-pitying. My sensitivity was made up by an awful lot of self-pity. And my self-pity weakened me. When I was in pity mode, I was giving away my power.

I love that you mention responsibility. It took me a long time to figure out that the antidote for self-pity, for me, was responsibility. I needed to take charge of my own feelings, as you said, and realize that I was the only one who could change the way I was feeling.

Being responsible for myself is so incredibly empowering. There's a fantastic non-AA poem that has a line something like ... actually, I'd like to post the whole poem, hope that's okay since it's not AA.

I'll put it in a separate post, so if it's not okay, the Moderators can delete just the poem.....

Thanks!
anniemac

Postby DebbieV » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:37 pm

I was sitting in a noon meeting today, and it was about my third meeting in a row that the topic was step 10. (coincidental? My favorite step, after step 1) and I turned to a friend sitting next to me and said 'why do all the meeting seem to be on step 10 latley, do you think God is trying to tell me something?'
(no, I don't have alcoholic thinking at all, the meeting must be about me. :roll: ) And he said, 'because it's October' And I said 'so, what does that have to do with it, is God wanting me to learn something in October, that he doesn't want me to learn in September?' He just looks at me and smiles, one of those, your not real bright sometimes, but I love you any way, smiles and says 'it's the tenth month, and we are reading out of Daily Reflections'
Just when I think I have it all together, one of those things happen that make me say to myself, 'I'll be damned'.... But, I still want to get a Daily Reflections book and see if that is true. Ism' still kick my butt sometimes.
I think I may have what I hear Dallas talking about on here. I am a 'figure-outer' I think that is another way of saying, I have alcoholic thinking, at its finest.

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Debbie V wrote:And he said, 'because it's October' And I said 'so, what does that have to do with it, is God wanting me to learn something in October, that he doesn't want me to learn in September?'

And, I thought that the answer was going to be:

1. Because October -- is the month of Halloween. And,

2. Halloween -- is the day that Clancy got sober!!! (10/31/1958)!!!

Dallas B.
:lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:49 am

Dallas Wrote:

And, I thought that the answer was going to be:

1. Because October -- is the month of Halloween. And,

2. Halloween -- is the day that Clancy got sober!!! (10/31/1958)!!!

Dallas B.

By God, I think your on to something there Dallas. That, I can live with.
:D :D
Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:33 am

Hey Deb,

As you're thinking of the 10th Step -- and, doing it -- I hope you're remembering to write down the good things about you and the good things that you do. That's part of the 10th, that some people leave out.

Maybe, that's why the 10th Step has been coming up so many times for you in the meetings... a reminder... for you to write down the good stuff about you.

Or........ maybe it is that goofy Daily Reflections book! :lol:

Or..... maybe... it's because you've learned how vital it is to do that daily 10th.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Dallas Wrote:

Or........ maybe it is that goofy Daily Reflections book!

I have a feeling that is the answer. :lol: :lol:

I love step 10, it gets all the yucky stuff out, I put in my head and my life. Steps 10, 11 and 12.. Have become a vital part of my program.

And thanks for the reminder to put down the good stuff about me. I haven't been doing that lately. I do like the 'new' Debbie, and I need to see that, as well as all the other stuff I am writing.

Thank you Dallas.

Debbie
DebbieV

Step 10

Postby Spiritman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:19 am

Fantastic!
The words expressing Step 10 from all of you has helped me a great deal this morning.

Thank you.
The Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Jackie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm Jackie and a alcohlic: I've been sober for almost 90 days now.My dilema is I seem to have resentments toward certain people for no good reason. It's frustrating and tiring and I feel so stupid feeling this way. I try to avoid these people and that helps and if I can't a rigorous round at the gym works, but the same feelings keep coming back. Is this just a one of the many symptoms of early sobriety? Help!
Jackie

Postby Susan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi Jackie, I would say yes this is a symptom of early sobriety. What recourses are you using for recovery?
Susan

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery