- Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book Fear

Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book Fear

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book Fear

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:14 am

Big Book Fear...

It's interesting... how intimidated some people (who have not read the Big Book) will feel and act and react when they are in the presence of someone who has read the book.

The Big Book is the message of Alcoholics Anonymous. It's the basic text for our Society. It's the only book, that is considered "approved literature".
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:32 pm

LOL ~ brings back memories, of not too long ago.

I hated the Big Book, for the first 3 years of my sobriety. Talk about contempt prior to investigation :oops: ~ I was so stubborn and spent a lot of time ranting and raving about how the book did not describe ME so therefore it was flawed. I went to BB meetings, hoping that I could learn to like the darn book, but really all I did when I shared was argue how the book was wrong.

For a while, therefore, I stopped going to BB meetings. It just wasn't worth the aggrivation! :shock: Then something funny happened, although I was not laughing at the time.

My home group only had one meeting a week. I approached the pastor of the church where we meet and asked if we could have another night. He said yes, so I went to the group and told them that I got us another night because I wanted to have a closed discussion meeting (our other meeting is a Beginners meeting). They laughed and told me that it goes to a vote, to determine what type of meeting we'd have. I was stunned - I mean, I was the one who got us the night, shouldn't it be up to me?!? :roll: Well, guess what the group voted for? A Big Book meeting!

So, deciding I was going to be a big girl and attend our new meeting anyway, I went to the first meeting and I sat on my hands the whole time so I wouldn't raise my hand to share and bash the book. I went to the second meeting, and by the end of the meeting, I broke out in tears. It had finally struck me why I hated the book so much. It was because I didn't understand it. And the fear of not grasping a book that everyone spoke so highly of, caused me to rebel against it instead of taking a look at what it was I didn't understand. :shock:

When I finally started going through the book with a new perspective, breaking it down paragraph by paragraph, I began to see all the wisdom packed in to those pages. There still are parts that I don't identify with, but there are many many parts with which I do identify.

Sometimes, it just takes me a while. :lol: :oops:
anniemac

Charlie & Joe Big Book Study

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:09 pm

I understand and identify anniemac! I was pretty much the same way, until I got hold of and listened to a set of Charlie & Joe, “Big Book Comes Aliveâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Amy S » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:34 pm

I haven't been sober very long and I've only read about half of the BB and I have to say I feel very intimidated around people who know the book so well that they can quote it and tell you exactly what page they are quoting from. I know it takes time to learn and I'm doing my best to learn everything I can but I am so impatient, I want to know everything now, not later. I guess that's just a part of being an alcoholic/addict.
Amy S

Postby garden variety » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Amy S wrote:I haven't been sober very long and I've only read about half of the BB and I have to say I feel very intimidated around people who know the book so well that they can quote it and tell you exactly what page they are quoting from. I know it takes time to learn and I'm doing my best to learn everything I can but I am so impatient, I want to know everything now, not later. I guess that's just a part of being an alcoholic/addict.

Hi Amy,

I'm so glad to see that you're reading that old "Big Blue" book. If half the way through is where you're at, then that's where you're supposed to be.

But I'm going to give you a shortcut - You just memorize these three paragraphs and a sentence, then you will have all 12 steps and the 4 absolutes, and the whole program, and the whole Big Book at your hands at any time of the day or night. You'll be hanging with those "thumpers" in no time. OK ready - set - go!

1. Turn to page 164 (the last page of the "basic text")

2. Here's the "mother lode" to memorize:

Still you may say: "But I will not have the benefit of contact with you who write this book." We cannot be sure. God will determine that, so you must remember that your real reliance is always upon Him. He will show you how to create the fellowship you crave.

Our book is meant to be suggestive only. We realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us. Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick. The answers will come, if your own house is in order. But obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got. See to it that your relationship with Him is right, and great events will come to pass for you and countless others. This is the Great Fact for us.

Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to Him and your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of your past. Give freely of what you find and join us. We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.

May God bless you and keep you - until then.

Now Amy, you said you "want to know everything now." In those 3 paragraphs and 1 sentence is EVERYTHING. I mean it - if you know and understand, and pray and meditate on those words, you WILL KNOW EVERYTHING there is to know about the steps, the absolutes, and the recovery program of AA. Nothing anywhere in that book or in our rooms can't be traced back to these words. Its the whole enchalida.

To me, there are no words in that book that are more beautiful than these.

God bless.
Paul
garden variety

Postby Jim W » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:47 pm

I've noticed that when I speak at a meeting about what I've done (the work in the book), how agitated some people get. Some say "Don't preach at us! Don't tell us what to do!"

People that haven't done the work think that when someone who has done the work talks about their experience with what they have done that they are telling the ones who haven't done the work what to do.

As I have said before, I'm not too interested in any one's opinion of an experience they have never had.

I've had people with time tell me I shouldn't talk about being recovered from alcoholism through a spiritual experience as a result of taking the action embodied in our Twelve Steps when there are newcomers in the room. To those "old-timers' I say that I'm obviously not bothering the newcomer. It's more like that kind of stuff bothers some of the people with time.
Jim
Jim W

Postby Dallas » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:06 pm

Thanks Jim!

Nice message and nice to see you back on the forum!

I hope all is well and life has been treating you good. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Man I can relate to that one Jim, I'm a newcomer myself (40 days) and I for one sit up in my seat and listen when someone quotes the BB, thoes are the ones I want to hear with all that I have. I beleive everything I have read or heard from the BB, and I want to learn it as well as these so called big book thumpers, I hope to be called that myself one day and to be able to pass on the knowledge of it the way it has been passed on to me, and also to pass on the importance of every single word in it. I came to AA to stop drinking, that was it, just put the "plug in the jug" but because of what the Big Book has taught me along with some very spirtual people (in my mind) and hitting my knees, I see a new life forming right infront of my eyes. I also believe that there is so much more to come for me if I am willing and keep my faith in the book.
So you Big Book Thumpers, keep on thumping for my sake and maybe for a few old-timers.
Thanks for letting me share. :D
Deb
DebbieV

Re: Big Book Fear...

Postby rockingchair » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:06 pm

[quote="Dallas"]Big Book Fear...

The Big Book – is the message of Alcoholics Anonymous. It’s the basic text for our Society. It’s the only book, that is considered “approved literatureâ€
rockingchair

Postby Jebtion12345 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:45 pm

One of the reason I picked my sponsor was her knowledge of the Big Book and ability to quote page numbers. I think it is valuable to give the number so one can go reference it after the meeting.
I am early on in recovery (almost 8 months) and love studying the text and reflecting in the morning then praying. I have never been a rule follower or prayed on my knees but alcohol sure made me submit.
Today at a noon meeting I talked of how often the next right thing for me to do is to try to practice love and tolerance of others by using step 10 when fear, envy, self pity etc crop up. I referenced the page no. and quoted "our code."
Anyhow, later a man with some time cross talked basically and said he knows the page numbers and doesnt need to hear them and carrying the message is sharing details of his day.
Oh well, I am changing because I am only slightly irritated by this. I know that I feel good trying to carry a basic message and trying to keep it confined to what I am learning. I just dont feel right sharing about my cat being sick (she is) or my needing a dental crown. I did share about a resentment that showed up on my 4th against a principal (white collar/blue collar) and how 6.7.and 10 help with that.
Anyway, I hope I am not off base. THe growth is I am not totally wrapped around the axle on this!
Good day to all :)
Jebtion12345

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery