- I almost had a drink

I almost had a drink

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

I almost had a drink

Postby crickit » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:12 pm

Ok, don't panic. It was completely out of habit and forgetting that I was an alcoholic. Here's what happened.

I use to work with a group of girls at Community Living and when we all went our seperate ways we would still get together every couple of months or so for dinner. The last couple of years I was busy drowning myself in alcohol and had lost touch so last week I called them all up to get together. To my surprise, everyone was very excited to get together again and I was welcomed back with open arms. So Tuesday night we get to the restaurant and immediately start chatting and catching up then the waitress came over to take our orders. And what did I do ??? ordered a vodka and soda with lime out of pure habit...didn't even think twice. When the orders came I looked at my drink and thought 'that's an awful small glass for soda water. One of the girls said I had ordered a vodka and soda OMG. I called the waitress back and told her I made a mistake, I meant to order just plain soda water with lime. She looked at me strangely. I told her I would still pay for the drink because I had ordered it but to please take it away. Wew. That was close. Then of course I had to expain to my freinds what was going on. They were all very supportive and the evening went on as normal. It's nice to know who your freinds really are. I went home that night and prayed that I never again forget that I'm an alcoholic. I can't even explain the terror that overcame me at how close I came. It's not like I wanted or even needed the drink. I'm just glad I've been given the strength to turn it away in time.

Thanks for letting me share
Crickit
crickit

Postby jeramy j. » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:07 am

Cunning, baffeling and powerfull.
jeramy j.

Things like life are going to happen.

Postby 918gma » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:00 am

The point is you didn't take the drink. You pulled through. We never stop being an alcoholic. Our progress is measured by what we do when faced with the issue. You passed for the day. Be grateful. Be happy. I had a similar incident happen to me just last night. Had a good day. Did all my AA projects for the day. At the end of the day I was sitting alone in my back yard. My daughter in law had opened a beer and took a couple swallows and left it on the patio. Instantly I thought how nice it would taste. About that time, my son came out and I asked him to take it away. I had to be told that the feelings I had were normal. The reality is that no matter what I thought, I didn't take the drink, because I had done the things I had done through out the day. Just like you, for a split second, I forgot. Thank you for sharing. It helps us all to remember, that it's a daily reprieve basis our spiritual condition.
918gma

boozeless

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:19 pm

hey, C, Hey 9, welcome Jeramy! real good timing! ... at meets last night, we'a read'n Dr Bobs nightmare. almost my story :lol: at the end of the chapter it reads "if you realy and truly want to quit drinking liquer for GOOD, and ALL, we know that we have an answer for you " good timing huh? kids. bless the Power That Be! off to the Detox meets now, yikes :shock: see all soon xoxo Rusty :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity