- Attitude of Gratitude

Attitude of Gratitude

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby anniemac » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:28 am

Ack! Don't go by my spelling! :oops: I just looked it up, and the proper spelling is squirrel. I added an extra "l".

As much as I can appreciate nature it all its glory, and stare at squirrels and breathe in the sunshine and laugh at a dog or cat, I can not find it in my heart to embrace the parade of ants that have invaded my kitchen! :x I will know true serenity when they cease to make me nuts. :shock:
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Squirrels are mean to dogs and they tease the dogs. Since I'm a dog dad -- and loyal to my pups -- I don't like squirrels! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Really? I've never seen that. I have two dogs, and I think the squirrels run so fast from them that there's no opportunity to do any teasing!
anniemac

Postby DebbieV » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Everyone who thinks Dallas missed the point raise their hand! Dang Dallas we are trying to do a gratitude list here, not a I love my dog list, you may be on the wrong web site, I'm sure there are many sites out there for Dog Lovers but this one has to do with AA and I think dogs would be an outside issue unless they are related to drinking and I dont think your dogs being teased counts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Made myself laugh on that one, Sorry Dallas couldnt help myself, my sponsor has been out of town for 3 days and I may be a little freaky. I will be ok soon.

I'm sorry you hate squirells :o But I'm going to the park again today and feed the cute little things and think of more stuff to put on my gratitude list, If I see you or your dogs coming I will scare them away though! :lol:

This maybe pick on Dallas day, I dont think we do enough of that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know we all love you, well some of us, got to be carefull of that ego :lol: ok ok I'm done
Deb
DebbieV

Postby garden variety » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:19 pm

Well I'm afeared that I have to agree with Dallas on this one. I seen them little rascals tease my two girls while they're on the leash. Once it was so obvious, I said hell and let the girls go chase. Well that squirrel wasn't teasing them any more, I tell you what! They never caught it though. But I have seen squirrels tease my dogs many times. But one of my girls caught a squirrel in my house! I think the squirrel had a heart attack and died because there was no sign of a struggle or broken bones. But that squirrel was dead laying in the middle of the living room floor.

I had one come in my living room one morning had the nerve to start walking up to me. I told him to get out of here and tried to scare him, but he wouldn't leave. He got his silly butt cornered and was he ever mad and chattering at me. I got a little worried that he was going to attack being cornered, and he woudn't leave the house. So I ended up shooting the rascal - I really didn't want to, but it was getting to be dangerous.

I don't like squirrels too much, but I try not to be mean to them. They are cute sometimes as long as they keep out of my house! But I stewed one once, and I tell you they are some good eating! That was one my son killed in the house with a hammer. They are agressive little rascals around me! My son first got grossed, but he ended up liking the stew so much he ate 3/4's of the pot. Needless to say that big one got on my gratitude list that day - juicy sucker!

Well I guess you can tell who the sick ones are around here!
garden variety

Postby DebbieV » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bout made me cry I laughed so hard Paul. Thants just not right.

Deb
DebbieV

Postby TinaL » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Well guess what I have three dogs... one girl dog and two boy dogs... they love to catch and eat squirrels... I mean it; Rascal can run as fast as a squirrel and catch that little sucker... me and my husband have sit outside and watched our dogs chase, catch and eat squirrels many times.. talk about entertaining... :lol: I'm telling you it is the funniest thing to watch three dogs and a squirrel run around in circles, back and forth and up and down... sometimes the squirrel gets away but not always...
Last edited by TinaL on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TinaL

Postby anniemac » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:56 pm

:shock: My pacifist tree-hugging earth-momma sensibilities are downright shocked!! :shock:

Now, if we talk about racoons, that's another story..... :!:
anniemac

Postby carol1017 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:17 pm

EWWWWWW!!!
carol1017

Postby garden variety » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:42 pm

DebbieV wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bout made me cry I laughed so hard Paul. Thants just not right.

Deb

Yeah and you would have laughed if you would have seen that episode. I'm laying on the couch in my underwear munching on something - its a Saturday morning and no work - and he just comes walking into the living room while he knows I'm there - real bold like he owns the place. I yell at him and get up, he just keeps walking towards me. I get a broom and I'm running around the house yelling at him to go get out - trying to shew him out to the front door with a broom, and he's just going everywhere but to the door.

Then he got behind a dresser and stood on his legs lifting his arms up all the while chattering like they do at the dogs when they're in the trees - I thought he was going to jump at me. That's when I got the gun. It was a little .380 semi automatic pistol so I didn't blow him to smithereens. This is 8AM on a Saturday. Blammo and nobody ever bats an eye in the neighborhood - even in the house. My son and nephew slept right through all this.

I was hoping to eat him too, but his meat didn't look good - it was spotted and dark in places, and his fur was all mottled and mangy. He looked kinda sick, so I just buried him. Exciting morning for me!

Now the other came in before this one, and he was up in my son's room. My son he wakes up and that sucker is staring him in the face. He gets startled and runs to his tool box and gets a hammer. He's in his underwear too - and he's chasing the squirrel through the house swinging a hammer. He gets downstairs and throws the hammer like a tomahawk and beams the squirrel right in the head. He said he was laying there shaking and quaking for a while, then he died and my son had sense enough to put him on ice.

I field dressed this one and boy he was big and meaty, and his meat looked clean. So I just went ahead and skinned him. Then I gave my son the tail and stewed the sucker that afternoon. Now all of this is while I'm sober too - and it was at that time when I was flat broke and we were real low on viddles - so it was to that squirrel's disadvantage he came around when he did. I even brought a sample of the stew to work because this girl in my office wanted to taste squirrel.

See here, the book says it this way: "Our adventures before and after illustrate three pertinent ideas..." Well some days I find myself in an adventure before you know it!

But really, I'd be minding my own business if those darn squirrels weren't so bold, and they need to stay out of my house - or if they're there, at least don't act like they own the place and get all mean with us. Dallas is right, those little squirrels can be pretty mean.

Now about those raccoons - Around here in Ohio they are the animals that most often has raybees, so they are dangerous up close and personal. I'd be afraid to eat one of those although I hear they make excellent stew. I had a recipe, but they tell me around here the raccoons are probably sick or rabid, so I leave them alone. I did run one down in South Dakota once - he busted the crap out of my front bumper! It was foggy and I didn't see him. I don't even think it killed him because I couldn't find him. Sounded and felt like I ran over a bowling ball.

I really hate killing animals in the road with my car - even squirrels - I mean really - we have took over their domain so much - and they don't know what a car does. My son brought one home - a baby squirrel - and his back legs and behind was paralyzed because he got run down. We nursed him a little but we knew he was going to die. It was sad and it made me cry.
garden variety

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery