- assumptions

assumptions

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

assumptions

Postby blueangel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:37 pm

In the last 2 weeks or more I have noticed a lot of well intentioned people in the program that make a boatload of assumtions based soley on appearances.
One very nice lady asked I was drunk and poor because I came to a meeting one night shoeless and looking rather ragged. I had to explain to her that I had spent the entire day on the base with the evacuees running and taking them everywhere, like new id's, birth records, and social security cards, which I guess alligators ate. My feet were too swollen to fit into any of the 4 pairs of shoes I had in the car and i barely scooted in the meeting on time because I glanced at my watch on the base and realized I had just enough time to make it to the meeting. No shower time, or fancy clothes, just drive as fast as I could to make it at all to the meeting. So I smiled sweetly, explained this and went along the way.
Another very nice man asked me if I had a sponsor to which I replied *yes*. He asked if I had talked to my sponsor, to which I had to smile sweetly and tell him about *40 times everyday*. I could tell for a month all the things well intentioned people have said lately but why go on?
My sponsor is dear to me and I get my hand slapped when needed, and strength from them when needed to keep me going. My program is also very dear to me and it is mine to work with the help of my sponsor and God.
I was always told that as long as you got to the meeting, whether it be a building where meetings are held, coffee shops, or the phone for BB study, and worked the steps it didn't matter how pretty or sleep deprived you are. Apparently a few in the program tend to look at what is on the outside more than what is on the inside. I try to say hello and be open to everyone at meetings in AA meeting buildings whether they just got out of the shower or crawled out from under that bridge. All that really matters is that they are there.
All I am saying is the next time you see that rugged person crawl through the door, please don't assume just welcome them to the meeting
God Bless You All, Kay :D
blueangel

Postby crickit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:42 pm

All that really matters is that they are there.

here here Kay :!:

I run into this all the time. I'm in a small town and a very wide variety of people coming to the program. People tend to frown on the people with special needs especially here. It's very sad that we all can't be treated as equals especially in a program like AA where there is only one primary purpose.

If only it were a perfect world :?:

Crickit
crickit

Assumptions

Postby Spiritman » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:49 am

Assumptions

I liked your post about assumptions.
When we assume we simply make an ASS out of U and ME.
Someone told me this eons ago... I was assuming way too much at the time! Sometimes I still do!
Peace,
The Spiritman
Spiritman

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery