- Attitude of Gratitude

Attitude of Gratitude

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby anniemac » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:46 pm

No, not to EAT racoons -- I meant they're not as cute and fuzzy to me and could imagine shooting one if I really had to. Can't imagine shooting a squirrel -- I mean, wasn't Rocky (of Rocky & Bullwinkle) a squirrel? Could you shoot poor ole Rocky?? Only if it was Rocky Racoon.....
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:02 pm

Three cheers for Tina's dogs!!!! And, thank God for Pauls .380!!!

The squirrels here have a reputation for rabies.

About dogs and sobriety?

Well -- after I had been sober a couple of months, and had kept hearing about becoming responsible and stuff like that -- I decided that I would get a dog and show that I was responsible, too!

I had a big office in Van Nuys, California -- with a bunch of CPA's, Lenders, Lawyers and Loan Sharks. :oops: And, I would bring the dog into the office and have the girls that worked in the office tend to the dog -- except I would sometimes take him out to pee -- (whenever I could catch him before he pee'd on the carpets). The girls got one of those kid's things that blocks a door so a kid doesn't run off -- and put the dog in my office with that kid thing in front of my door. Then, the dog would start howling and crapping. I felt like God was punishing me with that little dog! He knew I was trying to act sober and be sober and show I was still able to manage my life -- let alone manage a little dogs life.

Two weeks later -- I had to find the dog a new home. I just didn't have it in me to be that responsible. It seemed like I could run the company okay -- but, probably -- it was the girls in the office and the others that were actually running things and letting me think I was still in charge. :lol: Who knows? I had a lot of fog to travel through.

I remember that I thought the little pup was real cute when I got him or her -- whatever it was. I think it was a her -- because I remember getting up tight at the girl who took him to raise him/her over her naming it Mr. Bill!

She was the same girl who went to Mexico with me on my infamous drunk-out, while I was trying to get my six month chip! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The girl stayed cute -- but that dog grew up to be the ugliest dog I ever saw! It was really strange looking after it grew up :shock: :shock: I used to feel sorry for it because it was so ugly. :oops:

The moral of this story is: If you get sober again, read the book, take the Steps, call your sponsor -- and get into service work -- for at least seven years -- (like I did) -- then, if you were like me -- you can have a second chance at being a dog dad!!! :lol: :lol: My little girl is now 13 years old and she's still a pup!!! She's been a sponsor, a Power Greater than me, my best friend, my adopted daughter, and flesh of my flesh and fur of my fur. She used to pray with me -- but, now that she's older -- she lets me pray by myself. She has taught me more about life and love and commitment and patience and tolerance and respect -- than anything I can think of. She's kind and loves other animals (doesn't like people, though) -- and she used to get out the front door to chase the neighbors cat -- just to give it kisses! :lol:

I've almost lost her three times now, to health problems. And, it scared the heck out of me. It would be like losing a kid.

Two years ago -- I adopted a Black Lab that now weights 110 pounds. And, he's just like a son to me. Too bad my kids couldn't have grown up to be as nice and as good as my dogs!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:24 am

Hey Debbie ~ do you have a cat? This morning I was reminded of another one of those absolutely awesome sights that filled my heart with gratitude when I was newly sober, just like the squirrels did....watching my cat drink water. For real, it is adorable! You've got to be eye-level wtih the cat's head so you can see the little pink tongue shoot in and out of it's mouth to lap up the water. Caught a glimpse of my cat drinking water this morning, and my heart just filled up. Don't know why - maybe I'm a little nuts (a little?!?), but watching her made me grin and chuckle.

As for dogs and sobriety, when I got sober we already had (still have) one dog, a black lab, and this cat. My father lived with us and that was not a pleasant experience for anyone. He moved out of state when I had like 10 months' sober, and the next week we went and got a puppy...kind of to usher out the bad vibes in the house and bring in some pure love. A woman at a meeting admonished me - "No major changes in the first year! A puppy is a major change!" I was astonished, I thought I had done something horribly wrong. I told my sponsor and she said not to pay that woman any mind -- that puppies are life-affirming and positive and bring love and that it was just fine. I can't tell you the hours I spent on the floor with that dog, playing and getting licked.

Can you tell that I'm an animal lover? :lol:
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:04 am

I'm an animal lover, too.
But, I would never have a cat.

If you die in your house
and you have cats --
cats will eat you.

That's why I wouldn't have a cat.

:lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:15 am

Aha!! I think my dogs are in cahoots with the cat, then -- cause the dogs always try to lick me to death....now I know that they do that just so the cat can then eat me! :idea:
anniemac

Postby DebbieV » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:06 pm

I so love animals, but maybe there is something with just getting sober and cats. I have two kittens and I had to bring the damn things up in meeting a few times, they were driving me up the wall, I guess one guy got sick of me yapping about it and gave me a book called "kittins for dummys" is that sad or what? The book works though, when they jump on my curtins, I can throw the book at them and it scares them to death :lol:
I seem to be much better with them these days, I even bought them a toy at wally-world today (good mom)
As for dogs ( sorry dog lovers out there ) I had to put them on my 4 step, they scare the living **** out of me. I prayed for them, so next time I see one I may just reach down and rub its ears and all be ok with the world. :D I dont disslike dogs, I just think they disslike me. I was also told by my, ole so wise, sponsor that it wasnt dogs I was afraid of, it was dog bites :roll:
I do beleive that animals are a gift from God, dogs, cat and yes Dallas and Paul even squirrels, what ever feels your heart with joy.
So to all of you animal lovers out there, maybe they are all another form of Gods Children, mybe Gods Pets :D
with lots of love,
Deb
DebbieV

Postby anniemac » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Oh, that reminds me -- I used to gauge my serenity level by how I interacted with my cat. If I allowed her to come to me when she wanted and jump off my lap when she wanted, I knew I was working my program alright; but the days where she was skulking past me and I would reach out and grab her, and against her squirming to get away from me, insist that she snuggle with me against her will...well, those days I knew I needed to think more about turning it over!! :oops: :lol:
anniemac

Postby jakmak52 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:57 pm

I make a list because I sometimes forget what a blessing it is to be where I'm at right now in my life thanks to AA and my higher power. It makes me feel good and not on the pity pot. I have everything I need today because I'm willing to live a life that doesn't include alcohol or drugs. But for the Grace of God !!!
jakmak52

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks for your sharing. It's appreciated.
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Sermon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:39 pm

This topic doesn't seem to have been commented on in awhile. But I saw everyones conversations and had to put my two cents (it's an alcoholic thing) :lol:

Everyone's post were right on with Gratitude. The talk of pets in sobriety. I'm a firm believer that pets are most defiently gifts from "G" himself. Any kind, dog, cat, fish, squirels, whatever.

Early in sobriety my sponsor pointed this out to me and it has stuck.
Take a dog for instance. Unconditional love at it's finest. All they ask for in return is to be loved. Even when we don't want them around, they love us.

My car won't start, my dog is ok with that.

Relationship down the crapper, my dog doesn't mind at all.

None calling my phone to see how I'm doing, fine with him he rather have me play with him anyway.

Great listeners and never judgemental on anything I fester up in my crazy head! :twisted:

My dog has even listened to a 4th step or 2.... After my sponser of course, but he didn't think anything I had done was all that bad or that it couldn't be changed. Actually it rolled off him like water on a lillypad.

I guess I'm trying to say that Gratitude can be expressed through the love of my animals. Before I could come up with my own conception of God someone said at a meeting:

GOD to them was unconditional love and the only unconditional love they had ever felt was from their DOG and, after all, what is DOG spelled backwards?
Sermon

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery