- Not Posting

Not Posting

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Not Posting

Postby DebbieV » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:27 pm

Have you guys ever wondered why the site seems to go through a 'dry spell'? No one seems to post for a week then all at once there are new post every day...... I am one of the ones not posting and I went through a 'thing' last week where I wasn't doing much of anything..... Resting on my laurels..... And thank God I'm still here to post.

But I was wondering if that is what it is for all of us? Do we get to busy with life? Do we just not have anything on our minds? .....I find it hard to believe that an alcoholic doesn't have SOMETHING on their minds.....

The last few days I was going to make a point to post something,,, didn't know what, just something and I didn't know what to say... :shock:
But the thing is I seem to be in such a calm place in my life right now. So does that mean I only post when I am upset, disturber, confused etc...?

No big point to be made here, was just wondering what the rest of you are going though during one of the 'dry spells' Are we all just out in life being happy, joyous and free? I am today and I would like to share with all of you how damn great it feels, but I just don't know how to say it.

Anyway just wondering what the thoughts were on it. :?:

Hope all of you are having a great day. :D :D

Deb
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:13 am

Debbie wrote: I am today and I would like to share with all of you how damn great it feels, but I just don't know how to say it.

I sure wish you would hurry the heck up and figure out how to say it!!! I'd just love to be reading about it! Watching you grow and change and walk through and get to the other side of your stuff has been very inspirational to me.

It's like "I'll be danged!!! This deal STILL works for those who grab on to it and work it! Thank you for being an example of the fact that "it works." Those of us who have been around for a while need to see it. That's what keeps us coming back. That's what keeps us doing the deal.

Each one of us -- every single day -- and many moments throughout the day -- are examples of the message by the way we live and work and walk and talk and have our being.

It's really been awesome to watch the changes in you!!! So get busy and keep posting!!! :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean about the "dry spells" on the site. We get a lot of spammers who attack the site and try to take it down and abuse it everyday. Sometimes -- that's why I'm not posting. It gets to be a real busy job just trying to keep the site up -- so that someone will post -- and so that others can come and read.

We get a lot of new people who join the forum -- and once in a while they'll request their membership be activated so that they can participate. They get activated -- but, then they don't participate.

I guess that's another similarity with meetings. We get lots of people that come to meetings -- but they never begin to participate. They watch. They listen. And, then they leave. No telling where they go. Sometimes -- after a while they come back. And, sometimes they don't.

Another similarity that I see with meetings and this site is this: In the meetings -- we often see only a handfull or less who are doing the work to keep the meetings going. The person who opens the door. The coffee person. The person who Chairs or Leads the meeting. The person who greets the new people. It always seems to be a certain small handfull of people in each of the meetings -- that keep coming back to make it happen. I guess we could call that "Service."

I've noticed that Alkies seem to have no problem in sitting back and watching someone else do the work!!! :lol: "Work? Heck boss -- I just show up for the pay-check, not for the work!"

And, it's those "few" who keep coming back -- doing the work -- that we see are the ones staying sober for the long-haul. And, those are the ones -- that when they speak of happy, joyous and free -- you can see it in their faces and hear it in their voices -- that they are speaking about their experience -- and that they really do "have" what they are talking about! And, they stick around -- month after month after month, and year after year after year after year!!!!

One day, I read in our book, that "Our guiding principle becomes giving rather than receiving."

It was like a light came on inside me when I first read that. I pondered it. I thought about it. I meditated on it. And, that way great.

But the real amazement of it -- took place for me -- when I began to live that principle.

I started going to meetings -- not to get something for me -- but to see what I could give to someone else. It made a huge change inside me.

Then, I took it further -- by "trying it out" by living the principle "outside the meetings." WOW!!!! What a miracle that began to wrought inside me!

Thanks for sharing Debbie. Thanks for getting me started! :lol: :lol: Thanks for suggesting me to get off my rump and start to trump!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:46 am

At the age of 47, I just finished writing my first-ever college term paper! :shock: That kept me busy for a while. I've been back in school part-time for over 2 years now, but this is the first class that required a term paper. I get a week off, then Fall semester starts on 9/5. Next week we (my husband, daughter, and her friend) are going to the Maryland shore.

So yes, in general, I am busy living a full life...working full time, going to school part time, going to AA meetings, working with sponsees, working out regularly, doing yoga, etc., etc. If I'm lucky, I stay busy enough to not have time to have anything on my mind! It's safer that way. :lol:

I also feel as if I'm in a "new" place in my recovery, and it feels great, and at the same time I'm 'adjusting' to this new outlook. So I've been less talkative and more reflective and introspective (so much for not having anything on my mind! :oops: ).

Glad you're feeling good, Debbie!!
anniemac

Postby DebbieV » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Hey Annie,

That is so great. That you started college. My sponsor suggested to me that, even if I had some college it may be beneficial to go back and get my high school diploma ( I was a 1/2 credit of graduating ) So a few day ago I went and got the ball started, with the goal of going back to college at 39. Good to hear there are others who are carrying what they lean in AA into the 'real world'.

I also think that its great that you have learned, what I think, is one of the greatest things to lean in AA:
in general, I am busy living a full life...working full time, going to school part time, going to AA meetings, working with sponsees, working out regularly, doing yoga, etc., etc. If I'm lucky, I stay busy enough to not have time to have anything on my mind! It's safer that way.
That is what I try to do everyday, I have learned the hard way that when I stay in my head and don't work with another alcoholic, I am headed for trouble. In doing that, I am also leaning what I can pack into the stream of life, I found that hard to understand at first, and sometimes hard to do. So hears to you girl....Sounds like to me you have what I want.

Glad you shared, I know it passed on some hope to this alcoholic.

Deb
DebbieV

Postby anniemac » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:07 am

Thanks, Debbie ~ I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to be back in school. For years and years, I quit just about everything I started - except the booze. I never saw things through to their conclusion. To be able to face challenges head-on, despite the fear, is such an amazing feeling. I still sometimes get the "I can't do this! I'm going to drop this class" thoughts -- but it passes and I pass the classes, too! I'm not even concerned about graduating, per se -- I just love being a student.

Best wishes to you too in your educational journey.
anniemac

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories