- Can there be humor in resentments?

Can there be humor in resentments?

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:15 am

When I was new in A.A., I would get shocked and surprised – after hearing an Old-Timer share about how serene they were – and how important it was to live free of anger and resentment – and how important that it was to learn to show love and tolerance and patience and forgiveness towards others – and, then, someone would do something or say something in the meeting that would get the Old-Timer all nerved up, and the Old-Timer would storm and stomp out of the meeting cursing and raving at how wrong someone or something else was!!!!

I would look at another Old-Timer and ask “Shouldn’t someone go after them and try to get them to come back before they go drink?â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby musicmode » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:08 am

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic,

"Can there be humor in resentments"...

We have to learn how to laugh at ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously. Easier said than done sometimes...but once the dust begins to settle, we look at the insanity and begin to see it for what it really is...insanity. There's nothing funny about it (alcoholism), it's life or death...but, if we proceed with drudgery, packing around that "wet-blanket" routine, we hang on to the selfishness that can lead us right back to where, not only do we not want to be, but as well, without intending to go back.."it just happens". I have come to realize that there seems to be humor in everything...somehow, no matter how sad or heavy the occasion or situation. The situation/occasion itself may not be humorous, and, in the heat of the moment (whatever it is that's going on) I will not see the humor at all...but afterwords, I'm able to look back, and--mostly, I end up laughing at myself, or, I will find a little "bright spot" per say. I drank because I thought life was that bad. Life is not that bad, and when I look at my resentment list, and/or talk about it with someone, I then realize how silly the resentment itself is/was, and I laugh at the futility of it. Only in my mind did the resentment grow disproportionately huge and all-consuming. Maybe the incident that caused the resentment was bar-none NOT pleasant...but that resentment (person, place or thing) did not have the power or the right to lead me to the gates of death, even though it did seem to (have that power and right). Laughter is therapeutic...laughter is "the best medicine".

I don't know if that all makes sense or not...thanks for letting me share.

Easy Does It,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:20 pm

It's not funny when I get a resentment about you staying away from the site and not posting!!! Come on -- there is no way that life can be that busy or exciting up in Alberta!!! Especially out in your new country home!!! :evil: -- but, I'll deal with it. :lol:

Nice to read from you Anne.

KCB!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity