- 12 Traditions Check List – Tradition Two

12 Traditions Check List – Tradition Two

Discussion related to the 12 Traditions

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:56 pm

Tradition Two: For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

1. Do I criticize or do I trust and support my group officers, AA committees, and office workers? Newcomers? Old-timers?

2. Am I absolutely trustworthy, even in secret, with AA Twelfth Step jobs or other AA responsibility?

3. Do I look for credit in my AA jobs? Praise for my AA ideas?

4. Do I have to save face in group discussion, or can I yield in good spirit to the group conscience and work cheerfully along with it?

5. Although I have been sober a few years, am I still willing to serve my turn at AA chores?

6. In group discussions, do I sound off about matters on which I have no
experience and little knowledge?

7. Do I get upset -- when the group doesn't "do it my way"?

8. Do I get upset -- when the group doesn't understand that "I am right"?

9. Do I try to manipulate other members of the group -- or try to recruit them into
seeing things my way – or to do things my way?

10. Do I try to set myself up to be the Authority in the group?

The original 12 Traditions Checklist - from the A.A. Grapevine / Service Material is from the General Service Office: These questions were originally published in the AA Grapevine in conjunction with a series on the Twelve Traditions that began in November 1969 and ran through September 1971. While they were originally intended primarily for individual use, many AA groups have since used them as a basis for wider discussion. THE AA GRAPEVINE INC., PO BOX 1980, GRAND CENTRAL STATION, NEW YORK, NY 10163-1980

The is a modified and updated version of the 12 Traditions Check List for Tradition Two -- Sept. 10, 2007 -- and was freely downloaded from www.step12.com -- free copies are available at www.step12.com
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Dallas,

One of the things I like about tradition 2 is that it says "For our goup purpose, there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express Himself..."

There is hope in that statement. I saw that last night. There was one of those "Jesus fellows" who got to "preaching" and talking real heavy about the "Gospel of Jesus Christ". So much so it probably scared off a few newcomers.

I used that second tradition in my comment to him. I told him those words above and that God might express Himself to you in one way and to me in another way. But sobriety comes to each of us by finding our own concept of God. Other folks pretty much "spanked" him in their comments. There was a Jewish Rabbi understudy there, and he was very eloquent when he commented.

One thing I can say that I see all the time, these traditions come into play and they steer each group to sanity. They are lifesavers just like the steps.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:12 am

Hey Paul,

Tradition #2 was one of my topics for tonights meeting. On Monday nights, we're doing a short talk on one each of the Traditions -- then, we discuss it for part of the meeting, in relationship to:
1. How does it apply in A.A.?
2. How can I practice this tradition at home - in my relationship?
3. How can I practice this tradition at work or in business, with my employer relations or customer relations?

Guess what???

Did you ever notice -- that Tradition Two in the Long Form -- is shorter -- than Tradition Two in the Short Form? :wink:

Imagine that!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:29 am

Well I'll just be!

No I never noticed that. It looks like they tacked on a little piece of the long version of tradition 9 onto the short version of tradition 2.

Gee these alcoholics - what will they think of next? :roll:

So tell me Dallas, how do you apply the 2nd tradition to at-home relationships and to at-work relationships?
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:51 am

Tradition Two as applied to a Relationship

Below: for the purpose of discussion – certain ideals are suggested for each individual of the partnership.

Tradition Two: For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

Tradition Two for Relationship: Our relationship is a partnership. And, for our relationship purpose there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself in our partnership conscience. Each partner in our relationship is a trusted servant of the relationship; they do not govern.

A relationship is a partnership. To apply the principle of Tradition Two to the partnership – each partner is equal, and has equal rights and equal responsibilities in the partnership – one partner is not greater nor less than the other partner. Each partner has equal authority in the relationship – and zero authority over each other.

To apply Tradition Two to the partnership – it is assumed that each individual partner has made a decision to live by the same Spiritual Principles that are common to each other. (The 12 Steps as individuals and The Twelve Traditions as a partnership). It is assumed -- that the individuals of the relationship – are on the same spiritual level and on the same spiritual path. And, it would be wise if they had a loving God -- that they both understand in the same ways. It is important – for the relationship – that they share the same concept of God. If the individuals are not on the same spiritual level, and are not on the same spiritual path – and do not share the same concept of a loving God – when conflicts arise in the relationship – the relationship will be on unequal footing – and will be subject to topple.

The ideal is – that the two individuals have made a decision – to enter an agreement with each other, for the purpose of their relationship – and that their purpose of the relationship is for both, a physical, material and spiritual partnership.

As the two individuals align their own lives under the Authority of God, they will make an agreement, to ask God, and to recognize God, as the Ultimate Authority over their relationship.

Therefore, as the individuals seek the growth, maintenance, direction, strength and understanding in their own individual Spiritual life – they are in agreement to seek growth, maintenance, direction, strength and understanding in their Spiritual relationship.

In Chapter 11, A Vision for You – the Big Book introduces a concept and an ideal known as the “Fellowship of the Spirit.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:31 am

Wow. I'm impressed. Very good idea with a strong foundation.

Thanks for nudging me to think outside the box!
garden variety

Postby Tina L. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 pm

Thank you Dallas. My sponsor has been working with me so I can learn about using the 12 Traditions in a relationship. She gave me some worksheets and information that you wrote a long time ago about patterns of old relationships and how to end the cycle of picking sick relationships. I learned a lot and I know I can break the cycle.

I saw your sponsor at the Big speaker meeting last night. He said you will be coming to L.A. soon. How long will you be here? When? Are you moving back? You have a lot of friends here. Will you be speaking here or giving a workship or something or is this the vacation that u have been writing about? Thank you for this web forum and for all that u do. Keep on the firing line. You are doing a good job at paying back AA and passing it on.

Tina L. xoxoxo
Tina L.

Return to 12 Traditions Discussion