- Pick a Sponsor

Pick a Sponsor

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Pick a Sponsor

Postby 918gma » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:54 pm

One of the first things you will be asked to do when you make the decision to participate in this program will be to get a sponsor and to begin reading the big book. Be careful and choose your sponsor wisely. It will be important to your recovery.
Two of the first standard instructions your sponsor will give you will be read the book, and make daily contact with them. The instruction will continue from there, believe me. The quality of your recovery is your choice, not your sponsors. Their job is to suggest, offer support, and answer questions. From there it is up to you.

Sitting in this room as in every meeting you will attend there are walking talking miracles of this program. They have been where you are going and want to help. Use them. By doing so you will learn and they will continue to grow. That’s how it works. Sobriety is a life saving experience, unlike anything you will ever go through. Your sponsor is your life line. If you let them, they can, and will, with the aid of a Higher Power of their understanding, save your life.

One more thing, it will help, if you see a doctor at the beginning of your sobriety, so that he can have your head surgically removed from your ass, it will enhance the whole experience.

That being said, Good luck, God speed, and enjoy.
918gma

Postby littlemiss » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:42 pm

"One more thing, it will help, if you see a doctor at the beginning of your sobriety, so that he can have your head surgically removed from your ass, it will enhance the whole experience.

That being said, Good luck, God speed, and enjoy."

I just KNOW that is soooo TRUE! Thanks for making me laugh today!

HOW do I go about getting a sponsor on THIS forum? Do I wait & get to know people? I FEEL LIKE I NEED ONE NOW--ASAP--even if you can only be a temporary sponsor!
And I prefer a Woman Sponsor w/ some experience...
Can some of you read my intro. & see if you can relate?

Thanks so much! :wink:
littlemiss

Postby anniemac » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi LittleMiss ~

I'm strongly in favor of sponsors being "in person". Online relationships are very beneficial and enhance my sobriety greatly, yet I believe that a sponsor is someone who I get to see at my regular meetings and speak with on a regular basis.

Feel free, however, to contact me via Private Message (let me know if you don't know how to do that) as I'd be more than glad to offer support or answer any specific questions that you may have about AA and sobriety.

Anne
anniemac

Return to Sponsors Forum