- MORE THAN I EXPECTED

MORE THAN I EXPECTED

Expect the unexpected... or discovered the unsuspected?

MORE THAN I EXPECTED

Postby DebbieV » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:09 am

When I first decided I needed to stop drinking, and decided that AA may help, all I wanted to do was stop the pain I had inside. I knew that my drinking was causing the pain, and I knew I couldnt stop on my own--God knows I had tried.
So I walked though the doors of AA with one thing in mind, no more pain.
What I got was a whole new life.
I never even dreamed what that new life would in-tell.
A strong bond with God.
A happiness that I didnt even know existed.
Looking in the mirror and honestly saying that I like and love the person I see.
Feeling a bond that I have never felt with my fellow members.
So many more that I dont think I can list them all.
But, what has blown my mind the most, what gift I have been given that is bigger than I could ever imagined, is working with another Alcoholic. Watching her grow.
Seeing the change in her face.
Seeing God come alive in her.
Seeing her pain slowly slipping away.
The excitement about working the next step when we finish one.
The gratitude she has for me-even when I try to tell her its not me, its the program and my first sponsor who took me through the steps, and God.
The willingness she has.
The trust she has in me, because my first sponsor taught me to keep it in the book.
Watching her kick this disease's ass.

My heart is full today with happiness, pride (not in a ego way), gratitude, love, God........So full it feels like its just going to overflow all in me.

I miss being able to share it with my old sponsor. That is why I am where I am today....I would never have gotten this far if I wasnt taken through the steps the way I was, and taught to keep it in the book. I just wish I could let the one who taught me, see that I am passing it on.

I love this program, for all that it has given me, when all I wanted was for the pain to go away just enough to be bearable---Now I have a life that I never knew I could.

Talk about "Expect the Unexpected" :D

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:31 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep up the good work Debbie. You'll be even more glad that you did!!!

You're experiencing "the living" of Chapter 11, A Vision For You.

We get so amazed at the Step Nine Promises that we read on page 83-84 -- becoming a reality in our life -- and, that's a wonderful high to be on.

We get rocketed into a new dimension of living in Step 10, as we discover that we have "entered the world of the Spirit" and through our continued daily practice of Step 11, we become aware that we really are walking hand-in-hand with the Creator of the Universe. Sometimes, it feels kind of like sky-walking and cloud-jumping! Another great high!!! :wink:

Then, as a result of following our certain course of daily actions -- we suddenly discover, to our amazement, that we are "living Chapter 11, A Vision For You!" We have moved into the Fellowship of the Spirit -- we have connection with all those who walked our path before us -- Bill, Dr. Bob, the Pioneers of A.A., those who came after.... those who are here with us now.... and, now we get the opportunity to create the Fellowship that we have craved... by adding to the Fellowship of the Spirit -- those who will be with us in the future, and those who will be passing it on when we've moved on to another place beyond sobriety. That is our purpose.

Enjoy the journey. Continue to make new discoveries. And, always -- try to keep it in the book! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:31 am

Dallas Wrote:

Then, as a result of following our certain course of daily actions -- we suddenly discover, to our amazement, that we are "living Chapter 11, A Vision For You!" We have moved into the Fellowship of the Spirit -- we have connection with all those who walked our path before us -- Bill, Dr. Bob, the Pioneers of A.A., those who came after.... those who are here with us now.... and, now we get the opportunity to create the Fellowship that we have craved... by adding to the Fellowship of the Spirit -- those who will be with us in the future, and those who will be passing it on when we've moved on to another place beyond sobriety. That is our purpose.

When I was finished taking a new girl through the steps, I read page 164 to her, the same way me sponsor at the time read to me, and by damn, I was the one who cried. Here I am taking her through the steps and I am crying like a baby.

I just find that so beautiful, the feeling I get when I read about the Fellowship of the Spirit, and meeting some of them as I trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.

"May God bless you and keep you-until then"

Makes me want to cry again......just so beautiful.

Debbie
DebbieV

Return to Expect The Unexpected in Sobriety