- Hello! My name is Dallas!

Hello! My name is Dallas!

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hello! My name is Dallas!

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:03 pm

Hello!!! My name is Dallas, I am alcoholic, a sober member of AA, and I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas, USA

Since no one else has jumped in here to get this Forum Topic moving... I'll go ahead and jump right in!

My sobriety date is November 14th, 1986. I got sober in Southern California and through some events that were not personal preferences, I landed in Fort Smith, Arkansas in 1994.

My AA Home Groups have included, The San Fernando Groups, in San Fernando, California, the Chatsworth Friday Night Speaker Meeting, (where I worked myself up from floor-sweeper to greeter, coffee person, set-up person, clean-up person, I’m one of the guys who held the title of “Cake and Cookie Ladyâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:18 am

Hi Dallas..I just registered today..My name is Angel..I introduced myself in "Introductions" but when I saw your post..I just had to reply. I too have done a lot of traveling, around the U.S. (My husband use to work on the road and just before we got married. I was visiting him all over the place.) We too, have done a lot of meetings in other States. I love going to different meetings..The format maybe different but the princibles are the same. You said you were from Arkansas, been there..My Husband and I were in Dallas,Tx. for awhile and we use to just take rides into Texarkana..for the fun of it. We've gone cross country from Dallas to Conn. & Denver to Conn. probaly about 4 or 5 times. One trip we went South to visit a friend in No. Carolina and another time we went North by the Great Lakes..Beautiful!! My husband also work alot in Chicago and we use to travel all over Illinois and we also visited Wisconsin..REAL NICE!! We've had the oppurtunity to visit Dr. Bob's house in Akron,Ohio..great experience!! We also visited Bill Wilson's house in East Dorset, Vermont (and where he and Lois were buried.) So, I've been very fortunate to have had that oppurtunity in sobriety to visit all those wonderful places. You say you like the mountains, well I'm living in Aurora, Colorado surrounded by the mountains and they are absolutely beautiful but I still miss New England.. I forgot to mention. We also have been to Idaho and Washinton State..AMAZING!! I love the ocean too, That's another thing I miss about New England..FRESH SEAFOOD!! :P Yum!! Yum!! My favorite..I too love dogs. I only have one..His name is Rudy..He's a mix but a really good natured and smart as a whip..He was very easy to train...He has some Golden and some Chesapeake, that we know of. He has a very odd brindling color, that we have know idea, where that came from!! I have a small garden that I just love..You really should try it ..It's fun. Let me tell you a bit about my recovery..It has not been a cake walk. I came in in 1993 and have had a numerous amount of relapse..My last relapse almost killed me ..I spent two days in I.C.U...because I O.D. (I took a bunch of pills.) It was a very frightening experience..I have 5 months now and I am so grateful that My H.P. allowed me to live and go on..I've been attending meetings regular..Trying to find a new sponsor, so I can do the steps again..I have done a 4th and a 5th but I never did the rest..but I feel real good about my sobriety and I know I never want to go back to where I was..because I'm certain I don't have another recovery in me. Well, I guess I talked your ear off..Thank you for giving me the opportuninty to share. Love Angel :) By the way I'm having trouble getting the color to work..!! :roll:
Angel

Postby Dallas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:34 pm

Hey Angel!!! Thank you. It sounds like we have a few of the same interests! I'm glad you're here with us. And, you are a dog person! That's great. Dogs are awesome. And, so are dog people!

One of the great things about the Internet, is that when we move... we take all our friends with us!!!! So, there is never a reason for not keeping in touch! We can just grab that keyboard and reach out and touch someone at any hour... and they might be online and reach back!

I wish you well on your new adventure!

It sounds like you've been around long enough to know all the things not to do, as well as the things to do. Your new life of Sobriety is in your hands.

Yesterday, before my morning meditation (I read pages 83-88 of the Big Book and follow the instructions there to start my day), my mind fixed on one of the last paragraphs of page 88.

"We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way that we have just outlined."

Bill W. had just outlined taking and practicing 11 of the 12 Steps, from page 58 to page 88. And, he was preparing to write Chapter 7, to cover Step 12.

My thoughts were how much I identified with "undisciplined". Discipline and structure are two of the things that I owe to my Sponsor, who has spent so much of his valuable time trying to help me to achieve.

Then, I thought, "Gee. The 12 Steps are 12 Spiritual Disciplines. And, when I follow those disciplines, I become disciplined. Then, my life takes on structure and meaning. And, today, my life is better than anything I could have ever imagined for myself!

And, it all started with discipline. The willingness of pick up the telephone rather than pick up a drink. To go to a meeting. To have a commitment at the meetings that I went to. To make the coffee. To set up and pick up the chairs. To be a greeter, and to become a "part of" something that was Greather than Myself!

Sobriety has been a great adventure! Each day is new. Each moment is new. And, I have a conscious connection with a Power greater than myself.... that not only does for me, what I could not do for myself, but also does for me things that are greater than anything I could have dreamed for myself!

Stay with us!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Angel » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi Dallas and everyone...I want to thank you for you reply.. :D I think I'm going to like it here..As our friend Rusty would say are you "The Big Kahuna" on this site (in other words the administrater)?? 8) I've been having trouble getting color in my post. :roll: Maybe you could explian it to me I'd appreciate it!! As I said before, I feel real good about my sobriety today. The compulsion has been lifted some what. When I first came back from my relapse, my cravings were so bad they hurt!! :x But I hung on. It took me about 11/2 months to get back to a meeting (I had a lot of guilt and shame and I thought everyone was going to judge me but of course they didn't. They may have secretly judged me but that's their own thing not mine) After going to meetings for awhile and getting active again. It all started to come back the love, gratitude and my compulsion was lifted. (It didn't happen all at once. I'd say it was almost 4 months before it started clicking in) Anyway, I'm alive and sober today and that my friend is a miracle..Thanks Dallas..Talk to you again real soon....Love..The Angel :wink:
Angel

The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done

Postby Dallas » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:01 pm

The hardest thing I’ve ever done

While thinking of the hardest thing I’ve ever done, it would be appropriate, to keep things in perspective, of what the easiest thing was that I’ve ever done.

The easiest thing I’ve ever did, was right after I had 5 and a half months of sobriety, was to take a drink while I was waiting to get my six-month chip for staying sober!

Obviously, I was of the impatient type, who enjoyed instant gratification, high recognition, and tended to celebrate events early! It wasn’t like I had planned on drinking. It just seemed to happen automatically!

The hardest thing I ever did... was to try and get sober again after the first drink. I didn’t start back to drinking around the clock again, right away, after the first drink, but there was rarely any day that I could make it without at least having a few drinks.

Every time I went to an AA meeting it seemed like it made my drinking worse!

I would get up early in the morning, write down on my Daily Planner, “Today, I’m going to go back to AA and I’m going to stay sober for the rest of my life! I’ll go to the noon, Radford Street, AA, meeting in North Hollywood, where only a few people might know me... and then when I get 60 or 90 days... I’ll go back to my AA Home Group, where I got sober.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

THANKS

Postby Angel » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:26 am

Thanks Dallas..you helped me more than you know!!! :D
Angel

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery