- Meditation - Introduction

Meditation - Introduction

Meditation - a powerful tool for recovery!

Meditation - Introduction

Postby garden variety » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:12 pm

It's a priviledge to share these things that I have been taught. It's my hope that someone may benefit as much as I have in working the 11th step - in particular the spiritual tool that I've come to know as "Meditation".

Starting with Step Eleven:

"Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, asking only for knowledge of His will for us and the Power to carry that out."

If you were to ask me what the most important word in the step is, I'd tell you the very first one: "Sought". For me, that is the very core of the Eleventh Step. If I don't stop to understand that first word, I miss the whole point of the step.

"Sought" or "seeking" is the action that makes the whole program work for me. The book says on Page 45:

"Lack of power. That was our dilemma. We had to find a Power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

"Well, that’s exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power Greater than yourself which will solve your problem."

I bold-faced the word "find" and underlined "main object" (that means its the "main point" of all of this). The only way I know how to "find" anything is to "seek" or to "look for". So that's why the first word of the Eleventh Step is so important to me. It tells me the action I have to take to make the whole program come together and help me achieve sobriety. After all, what is achievement but the byproduct of successful action.

I am not an expert in this by any stretch of the word. The results that have happened to me might not happen to you in the exact same way. What I can say to "qualify" myself here as to the value of meditation is that I have a clinical disability in the area of "attentiveness". I say this not to delve into other issues but to give some kind of assurance that if someone as scatterbrained as me can "still" their mind long enough to meditate, anyone can.

I'll try to stay focused specifically on the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and how meditation fits into the way it works for me. Here are some Dallas B. types of "disclaimers" 8) :wink: :

This is real important. The book says it this way, and the posts I make here are meant to be exactly in this same context:
"When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you find in this book." (Page 47)

The other important thing which comes from Appendix II - Spiritual Experience:
"We find that no one need have difficulty with the spirituality of the program. Willingness, honesty and open mindedness are the essentials of recovery. But these are indispensable."

In a nutshell this is H.O.W. it was taught to me:

• Honesty to oneself – The alcoholic knows that he/she cannot stop drinking on his own without help.

• Open mindedness – The alcoholic sets aside any old beliefs or prejudices about “Godâ€
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:16 pm

Thanks for sharing Paul!!!!

Good stuff!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:17 pm

I am going to be spending a considerable amount of time right here at this topic. I've understood meditation, and I can blab away to God as I understand Him, but to "be still"...and not let in the daily static into the attic??? I have already done some reading...thanks for a great topic. Keep posting here. I'm here, and I'm listening :wink: :) . Thanks.

Peace,
Anne
musicmode

Return to Meditation and Recovery