- The Bang bang steps

The Bang bang steps

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

The Bang bang steps

Postby GeoffS » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Or steps 6 and 7 to be formal.

These steps are often treated lightly by AAs, coming as 'light relief' after the honesty and courage needed in 4 & 5.

To me 6 & 7 are very very powerful transition steps.

In 6 you need to assess just where you've come to and have you got there with all you need? You have fact found and fact faced your defects, are you now willing to have god remove them? Are you aware that you don't just sit back and god will do it. Faith can move mountains but bring your shovel.

In 7 you humbly ask god to guide you at the begining of a new journey. Taking your realisation of your defects and asking god to help by letting you see how to move forward, NOT behaving like you used to. Really letting god work through your actions.

This is not so easy as just a 'yes i need rid of my shortcomings" and "ok god, do your thing."

What do others think, I try to get people to write a one line of what the step means to them each time. And do it myself each time. It is amazing how different it is with each passing time.

So what do you all think of 6 and 7?
GeoffS

Postby Danni » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:05 am

Six: Am I entirely ready to change? Am I entirely willing to go to any lengths to be done with alcohol?

Seven: If I answered yes to Six, then lets get down to business and do it.

Keeping it simple.

Danni
Danni

Postby garden variety » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi Geoff,

Steps 6 and 7 are more than transition steps for me. Each step is a spiritual principle for me, and with that I sort of assign the action the step is supposed to bring about for me in a single word. Steps 6 and 7 are daily for me, but some folks might want a controversy saying you only need to do the steps once through, then just work on 10, 11, and 12.

Well not so with me. I need to take the action steps 6 and 7 teach me each day and here's why:

Step 6: (in a single word) - CHANGE. More specifically for me, I pray for the willingness to change my "bad" behaviors each day - the character defects that make my life futile or inneffective. The reason I work step 6 each day is that some character defects are the "perennial" variety. Just like me going to meetings, some character defects "keep coming back". And some will do that until I die. But the biggest blessing with step 6 for me is I only need enough willingness to change the defect for 24 hours - that is while I'm awake or conscious - and that's the only time my character defects can cause problems. Not yesterday, not tomorrow, and not while I'm asleep. And with some character defects, by being willing to have God remove them each day - some really do go away for good. But it's most important for me to be fit for maximum service to God and those around me today.

Step 7: (in a single word) - HUMILITY. Well this is one of those "options" that aren't included as "factory equipment" on today's model of "Paul". No matter how hard I try, I can't be humble. It's impossible. Why? Because when I realize I'm humble, then I'm happy with myself which means humility vanishes like a puff of steam - that's just how it is for me. But that's why I have a Higher Power because He can provide me with that piece of equipment because He knows I can't - all I do is ask. But here is a puzzling little tidbit that I've noticed too. When I pray to humbly ask Him to remove my shortcomings, He gives me only enough humility to last for 24 hours - the time I'm awake. I only get enough humility for today, and not for tomorrow. And yesterday's humility doesn't count anymore.

So that's why I use step 6 and 7 every day. It works for me.

Now this here is a little rabbit trail - so you can stop reading if you want to.

Now realted to "defects of character". I've learned about a character defect that is common to every single alcoholic. In fact it's common to every single person. And its one of those "perennial" varieties that "keep coming back" and will until we all die.

I realize this might make some folks mad, but if you deny you have this defect, I'd say you would either be dead or comatose. I mean this defect is common to every living man, woman, and child. I've heard it said that this is what some religious folks call "the original sin".

Did ya guess it?

LAZINESS.

Go ahaed get mad, like I did. But the bottom line is if there is an "easy way" to do something and a way that "involves more work", what do you think? No this isn't only talking about LAZINESS in the area of work or jobs - some folks will swear, rightly so, they are not lazy when it comes to work. But what about when it comes to LOVE or RELATIONSHIPS or PRAYER? OR CLEANING HOUSE or WASHING THE CAR or CUTTING THE GRASS or my favorite: WALK THE DOG? But there are even more subtle areas like giving someone you love ATTENTION. Or trying to COMPROMISE in an argument when you're "right". I believe LAZINESS cuts across everything and is common to everyone. That's just my opinion though.
garden variety

Postby GeoffS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm

garden variety wrote:

LAZINESS.

Go ahaed get mad, like I did. But the bottom line is if there is an "easy way" to do something and a way that "involves more work", what do you think? No this isn't only talking about LAZINESS in the area of work or jobs - some folks will swear, rightly so, they are not lazy when it comes to work. But what about when it comes to LOVE or RELATIONSHIPS or PRAYER? OR CLEANING HOUSE or WASHING THE CAR or CUTTING THE GRASS or my favorite: WALK THE DOG? But there are even more subtle areas like giving someone you love ATTENTION. Or trying to COMPROMISE in an argument when you're "right". I believe LAZINESS cuts across everything and is common to everyone. That's just my opinion though.

hear hear!

If I prayed enough to be rid of my laziness for just 24 hours, I'd need to pray for 26 hours straight!

I think laziness is a topic for many many AA meetings and we'd never hear a repetition
GeoffS

Return to 12 Steps