- 12 Step "Boot Camp" meeting ...:)

12 Step "Boot Camp" meeting ...:)

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

12 Step "Boot Camp" meeting ...:)

Postby littlemiss » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi all.
Ann Marie, Alcoholic...77 Days Sober today...

Just wanted to share that my sponsor is having me attend this very intimate women's meeting on Wed. nights now...We start at the 1st Step (last night), share on it...discuss it, work on it/take it during the week and then come back & share on it again...We take the steps together...
When it gets to the 4th step, we have an extra week (3, I think)...& we can share the 5th Step details w/ our sponsor & then whatever we want in the group...

This is my 1st time...so it ought to be hit-the-ground-running, huh? I think it'll be good for me...:)
littlemiss

Postby GeoffS » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi Ann Marie,

Sounds like a great opportunity, grab it with both hands! Remember you'll be getting a lot out of it by being there and taking part, but you'll also be giving a lot to the others (including the older sober members) by being there and taking part.

I was lucky enough to be involved in a group like that and it really helped me a lot. One really good thing was every few weeks the guy who led the group would take a week off and let us just catch up on where we were and how we were travelling through. Invaluable.

All the best,

G
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:37 am

Nice to hear from you, Anne Marie -- and even nicer to hear of your continued sobriety! :wink:

I agree. That's a great opportunity for you in the Step meeting. I do one like it every Tuesday night -- except it's men and women. :wink:

Keep on keeping on!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:27 am

Hi Anne Marie,

That is good news. Glad you're still staying sober one day at a time. I'm proud of you!

Those meetings sound great. You know I tried real hard to get into one of those women's groups around here that was known for "hard core" AA like you mentioned.

Well, I guess they could see my 9-o'clock shadow in spite of the nice dress I wore. :oops:

God bless and keep up the good work!
garden variety

Postby tj » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Ann Marie,

Congrats on the 77 days! Keep it up. I will have six months on 1/30/2008. I just walked a half-marathon which I know I could not have done had I still been drinking. Thanks be to God.

I have been attending a mixed Back to Basics meeting and will start a women's meeting on the steps this Sunday. I really enjoy the women's meetings and also the open meetings when family members can attend. I love hearing about how not only the alcoholics lives have changed, but the family is changed, as well. I used to sarcastically call alcoholism the gift that keeps on giving. Was I ever wrong. Sobriety through the grace of God is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Keep up the good work.

Manette
tj

Postby littlemiss » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks, Everyone...

TJ, congrats on 6 months!!!! Am actually looking FOWARD to doing the 4th Step...boy do I have A LOT of crazy history...we'll SEE if I can remember 1/2 of it!!! Ahem... :roll:
littlemiss

Postby pglock45 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:45 pm

I like that idea. I wish there was something in my area that involved an intense workshop and taking the steps together. In 18 months I've only completed step 4 . My sponsor tells me that it's not a race and it's ok to take my time. I agree but Ithink Ithink and think toooooo much. Please update and let me know how this works for you!!
Pat
pglock45

Postby SoberinSC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:25 pm

We are starting a step meeting tomorrow night at my home group. We switch back and forth from the BB to the 12 & 12, and it's 12 & 12 time, I can't wait! Hoping we have alot of folks interested in starting the 12 & 12 with us (I've been announcing it at other meetings LOL)

On a side note, an oldtimer gave me another members 12 & 12 the other night (I couldn't find mine) it was a book that belonged to a man who had quite a few 24 hours, was a very active member of the fellowship and helped tons of other people in sobriety, he passed away last summer sober. I feel honored to have his book and plan to put it to good use.
SoberinSC

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:04 am

When I was newly sober in A.A., me reading the 12 & 12 helped contribute to my grosser handicaps and character defects. It helped me to fuel the fire of doing A.A. in my head -- rather than with my feet.

I love the 12 & 12. It's a great book. However, based upon my own experience, and many of the experiences of newcomers that I've tried to help -- the 12 & 12 can produce a lot of obstacles in to the newly found path of recovery. I suggest that they wait until they have taken all 12 Steps, following the precise instructions in the Big Book, before they read the 12 & 12.

As Bill W., explained in the Introduction in the 12 & 12, that it was for the more experienced members, and not to be considered as a replacement for the Big Book, which he refers to as the textbook of our society.

For those who do not have the benefit of a good solid, in-depth 12 Step meeting in their local area, I would suggest getting a copy of the Charlie & Joe Big Book tapes that were made during their Big Book studies.... and follow along with the tapes and their Big Book, just as if they were in attendance at the Book study. There are also two books, one by Charlie & Joe, which was basically an in-print version of the Big Book studies, titled "A Program For Living," and, another book by Joe McQ, titled "The Steps We Took" -- which is mostly transcribed from the 12 Step study meetings that Joe used to do.

After that -- I would suggest that they would now be well equipped to understand much of what's in the 12 & 12, that could potentially lead them astray on the path of recovery.

The big differences in the Big Book and the 12 & 12 (besides some of the conflicting statements in the 12 & 12), is that the Big Book, is like a "cook book" with recipies that, if you follow them -- will produce your sobriety cake and the icing to go with it -- and it will teach you how to cook up the spiritual experiences that will keep you on the path of recovery.

The 12 & 12, is more like a book on the "experiences of eating". And, it can influence the perceptive appetite prior to eating, or cooking, or learning to cook.

If you don't learn to cook and to be a cook and do some cooking yourself, it won't matter what you think about the experiences of eating. :lol:

Or, as another example -- the Big Book, is like the textbook that teaches us "how to do the math" -- and, it starts by showing us how to add and subtract, before moving on to algebraic equations -- while the 12 & 12, is more of a reflection on some interesting observations of math.

That's how I see it -- after tasting both dishes and doing the math! ............. :lol: :lol:

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:20 pm

I see your points Dallas and where they are coming from, and their value.

I don't think that the 12x12 should necessarily be kept for after doing the steps via the big book. However I only have my experience to go by so I guess its horses for courses.

My home group actively encouraged me to work through the 12 steps with my sponsor (that is WITH my sponsor), in our time, using the big book as the guide and the 12x12 as well. Our group is really strong on sponsorship.

Now at the same time my home group run a book study once a week, where we go through the big book bit by bit each week until we're done, then we start again. Here we have an older sober member leading us through and taking questions and leading discussion. It works, well. On another night we have another meeting where we cover AA approved literature on a 4 week rotation. 12x12, As Bill, Dr. Bob, Big Book. Maybe we are spoiled or lucky (certainly lucky) to have this structure, and maybe that allows newcomers to use the 12x12 straight away, as they are accompanied and guided.

I've always found the 12x12 a useful companion to the big book, as long as the avenue to discuss and ask is there. As it is really to all AAs who get a sponsor.
GeoffS

Next

Return to 12 Steps