- 12 Step "Boot Camp" meeting ...:)

12 Step "Boot Camp" meeting ...:)

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby dahlgren » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:10 pm

All good points Geoff. I was asked by my first sponsor to help him start a new group some years back and he was very big on the basics and the basic texts of AA. When we started this group, there were 4 of us total, we sat down and came up with a weekly meeting schedule.

One night was Big Book study, one was 12 and 12, one was As Bill Sees It and one was a Promises meeting. That left 2 nights for Open Topic Discussion and one night for our Open meeting which either consisted of bringing in speakers from other groups or once a month it was the Potluck Dinner and Anniversary Celebration meeting.

I know for me it was exactly what I needed, structure in my program and the best opportunity for me to really sink my teeth into all this program has to offer.

It's funny how this program works, all of that was a bit over 23 years ago and the group is still here, it's still my home group and we still have the same basic schedule, although there have been many more meetings added throughout the day, morning, noon and night.

I'll be forever grateful to that man for not only giving me what turned out to be a once in a lifetime opportunity but also for helping me understand what it's all about and the best way to go about having what he had.

Thanks for sharing that Geoff, it sure does work if you work it.

In love and recovery,
Mike
dahlgren

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:07 am

Hey Geoff & Mike, thanks for sharing your experiences. It's always great to hear from you and to read your messages of experience, strength and hope.

As I was reading of the successes of your Home Groups, and what you wrote about them, I could see three defined basic and predominant principles that both of your Home Groups appear to share in common.

1. Structure.
2. Discipline.
3. And, Sponsorship.

And, a fourth one, that Geoff, mentioned in his message:

Taking his Steps WITH his sponsor -- while they used the Big Book and the 12 & 12.

One day when I was reading on Step 10, in the 12 & 12, the first paragraph that Bill wrote turned a light on for me and really made sense.

As I read the first sentence: "As we work the first nine Steps, we prepare ourselves for the adventure of a new life." -- I began to see why myself and many others that I had known, had experienced such a difficult time in our early attempts at living sober.

I hadn't taken the first nine Steps -- so, I was still unprepared -- for the adventure of a new life, even though I was trying to live it "one-day-at-a-time."

I had been busy with a lot of A.A. Activity instead of a lot of A.A. Action. Specifically, in taking the actions and learning to take the actions -- to prepare myself with a transformational and foundational change in my mind, that Dr. Silkworth was referring to, when he wrote about the necessity of a psychic change.... and, then, with that psychic change, having the necessary structure and discipline of knowing how to use the basic tools of our program so that I could make a good beginning on a "new adventure of life."

I had been so busy trying to learn about the program of action -- instead of actually learning by doing it.

Following up, on what Bill wrote in the rest of that first paragraph, gave me another glimps at what my previous problems had been:

"But when we approach Step Ten we commence to put our A.A. way of living to practical use, day by day, in fair weather or foul. Then comes the acid test: can we stay sober, keep in emotional balance, and live to good purpose under all conditions?"

When I read about Step 10, in the Big Book, I learned what had happened to me -- as a result of doing the first nine Steps. The obsession had been removed. The insanity had been removed. My head had been cleared enough to feel as though that I really had "entered the world of the spirit."

My house was getting clean. I had learned to trust in a God of my own understanding -- as a result of the first nine Steps that I had actually taken (instead of thought about taking) .... rather than having an intellectual experience as a result of intellectual activity -- which always ended up with more intellectual pride -- that always kept me in a state of mental misery -- I had finally achieved a momentary freedom from my alcoholic mentality that left me feeling at ease with the world and with my life.

Now, if I could just continue getting my life in order, so that I could keep my life in order -- I might have a shot at trying to be helpful to someone other than myself -- and I might have a good shot at staying sober during that new adventure in life!

If I hadn't actually taken Steps 1 through 9, I would have been unprepared. Our book talks about being "fit to serve."

I've can learn a lot about physical fitness and losing weight -- by watching the exercise and weight-loss videos that are sold on late-night TV, but watching those videos and learning what to do -- will not make me any more physically fit or weigh less -- than what I was when I first started watching them! I know... I've tried that, too! :lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Woodstock » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 am

Glad I came back for a visit.

Dallas, I always get so much from your shares. I might just have to come back more often for your ES&H, eh? :) There is plenty of wisdom on this board and everyone is awesome!

Still sober and enjoying the journey,

Peace.........../Jim
Woodstock

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:41 am

woody, lol... i'm right behind you...

i just finished my first BB step study...

awesome it is!

yep, another 4 & 5th, and another 9th step... at my almost 5 year mark...

more continued growth!

love it!

good wishes too all!

xxoo

rz

ps, i now know... there are a few Musts!

glad i took them as suggestions in the beginning!
Rusty Zipper

Previous

Return to 12 Steps