- How I Sponsor - plus 30 tips and suggestions from Big Book

How I Sponsor - plus 30 tips and suggestions from Big Book

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Postby Jaysdad55 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:14 am

Thank you Dallas,& Finch,
Finch I a am the treatment chair here in district 93 in MT. I am involved in the "Bridgeing the Gap" program here.I have quite a few people that I have contacted before and after they get out of treatment. I get them to meetings or try and the next thing I know I am hearing that I am there sponsor. These people I cannot even get them to go to meetings let alone get them to read the Big Book. Most are like me still on probation so maybe they think it sounds good to say they have a sponsor.Buy the way I only have 4 months left on a 5 year probation. :D I also have a good relationship with the Judge here in my town we talk often and the last time I talked I found out that I was sponsoring more people at lest that is what they told her.Of course she doesn't ask me anything thing about them.I let her know when we became friends that what goes on in meetings or out stays there.Well I thank for your replys and I will keep coming back.This is great to be able to go to talk to people like me anytime I wont. Thank You for allowing me to share.
Jay
Jaysdad55

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Wow Jay! That's quite an honor to be Treatment Chair, and involved with Bridging the Gap!!! My hat is off to you and I thank you for the service that you are doing for A.A. and for alcoholics. That, just awesome, and I'm sure happy to have you here with us.

Sometimes, I get requests from people up in Montana, that contact me through the contact form here on the site, looking for meetings information and looking for help. It would be nice to be able recommend them your way. And, it would be great if you could help make sure that our Montana information is correct on our site. Also, it would be nice to have an insider who can keep us get up to date information on some of the big conventions and other events up in Montana.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Montana

Postby Jaysdad55 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Dallas,
I would be happy to.Not sure how to but if you can let me know what to do and how to it would be my pleaser to help in anyway I can.That is what I try to do here to help me stay clean and sober.It does me now good to keep what I have gotten and not try to give it back.You can send anyone my way that needs any information.Thank you again.
:) I am very happy to be of service :D Jay
Jaysdad55

Postby Susan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Jay, it is very difficult to sponser people who do not want this new way of life.. The good news is, you do not have to have this position for ever. When it is time for rotation, do it. You have a pretty big job going on and you might want to consider making some requirerments for sponsorship. I have requirements, I do not allow other to just use my name. I did some of that work in the early years but I burn't out quick. You are doing a very difficult service and I will keep you in my prayers. :!:
Susan

Postby Jaysdad55 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Finch, Thank you for your words and prayers God knows that I can always use both.
Jay
Jaysdad55

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Hello Jay,

Thanks for your offer to help!

The page that we have the Montana info on, is:
www.step12.com/montana.html

And, we list conventions, round-ups, conferences and events on this page:
www.step12.com/aa-conventions/index.html

At the bottom of those pages, there is a form that can be used to send updated info when it needs to be corrected, or when additions need to be made.

You can either use the forms on those pages to send info and once I get it I can update the pages. Or, you can send it to me via Private Message here in the forum.

I also need to get District websites listed and contacts for Treatment Centers and Correctional Facilities, from all the states, because often, I'll get up to 100 emails each day, for everything from individuals looking for meetings, sponsors, 12 Step calls, meeting lists for treatment centers, to give to their clients when leaving treatment, and also I get a lot of requests from courts, probation officers and correctional facilities, and even some churches, looking for info on how to get A.A. meetings started in their facilities, and referrals that can be passed on to inmates and parolees.

Any help would be appreciated. Some days... my fingers get really sore trying to find the info and passing it on. :cry: :cry: -- :lol:

If anyone else out there would like to help, they can go to the main Meetings Index page at:
www.step12.com/meetings.html

and, once there, look for the name of their state, and then click on it, to go to their state info page... to check the info, make sure it's accurate, and to advise me of any changes or additions that need to be made.

We also have a lot of retired A.A.'s ... that do a lot of traveling and going to A.A. conferences and conventions all over the U.S. They like to get info on conventions as early as possible so that they can fit in the conferences with their travel plans. This info is often hard to come by, until it's almost too late to post it. Often, it will get posted on Area and District A.A. websites, but I'm usually so busy answering emails, that I can't surf all the sites to find the events info... update the pages here... and keep my day-job clients happy.... (so that I can pay my bills and have some free time to go to conventions myself!) :lol:

Thanks, again, for your help!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Sponsors Forum