- Step 9 10 11 12

Step 9 10 11 12

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step 9 10 11 12

Postby dutchmen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:02 pm

I need clearer directions. Do I finish the 9th,before continuing on to the 10 11 12. It's not like the 3rd at the end where it said,NEXT.

Thanks,

God Bless
Rob
dutchmen

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Hello Dutchmen,

Thanks for your question!

Once upon a time, Bill Wison was asked why he used certain words in his writings. His answer indicated that he didn't like to use the same word too often.

I've included the first paragraph that Bill wrote for Step Ten, below.

Notice that when he writes this first paragraph dealing with Step Ten, he uses the word "continue" six times in that single paragraph.

Also, notice the word "vigorously" in this first paragraph regarding Step Ten. (Second sentence).

Now, notice right after the word "Next" that you referred to on page 63, regarding Step Four, he wrote: "Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning,..."

The word vigorous is used once in the Big Book, and it's in regards to the personal inventory "and" personal housecleaning... where Bill is writing about Step Four.

We know that "personal housecleaning" refers to Steps Eight & Nine. So, Bill is referring to the information that he will introduce later... for Steps 8 & 9, and he is doing this in Step Four.

And, the word vigorously... is only mentioned once in the Big Book, and it's in the first paragraph of Step Ten... (page 84 Big Book):
"We vigorously commenced this way of living as we cleaned up the past." (A solid indication... that Step Ten is vigorously practiced... daily... while we are in the process of Step Nine... cleaning up the past).

Vigorously did what? The answer to that, is in the paragraph in front of "vigorously"... "This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along."

While vigorously may not be the same as "next" (after Step 3), it is obviously an continuation of "launched"... (referring again to after "Next"... "we launched"..."out on a course of vigorous action," (page 63).

On page 83, in the instructions for Step Nine, Bill wrote:

"So we clean house with the family, asking each morning in meditation that our Creator show us the way of patience, tolerance, kindliness and love."

Notice he wrote "asking each morning in meditation"....

Wait... doesn't "meditation" come in Step Eleven? Why is Bill referring to "each morning in meditation"... when we're only on Step Nine? (Here, we are seeing a demonstration of Steps 10 & 11, in reference to our daily activities of Step Nine... the personal housecleaning of the past).

Also notice... right below that... on page 83, in Step 9, Bill writes:

"The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it."

However, it isn't until Step 10, that Bill writes (page 84) "We have entered the world of the Spirit."

I could go on and on with more examples... but for me, if I was looking for evidence that Steps 10, 11 and 12, are to be practiced while we are working on Step Nine... this would be clear and convincing evidence.

Here is the first paragraph for Step Ten, on page 84, that I referred to above:

"This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we
continue to take personal inventory and continue to setcontinue to take personal inventory and continue to set
right any new mistakes as we go along. We vigorously
commenced this way of living as we cleaned up the past.
We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function
is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not
an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime.
Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment,
and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to
remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately
and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone.
Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can
help. Love and tolerance of others is our code."

One more obvious notation: Notice that last sentence in the paragraph above... (the first paragraph of Step Ten)... "Love and tolerance of others is our code."

Where did we previously read something similar to that? It was on page 83, in regards to Step Nine...

"So we clean house with the family, asking each morning in meditation that our Creator show us the way of patience, tolerance, kindliness and love."

By the way: I think you'll find the answer to your question in regards to making amends for the TV, on page 83... specifically in the third paragraph.

I hope that helps.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Step 10

Postby dutchmen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:49 pm

I have heard Bill W. would take a newcomer thru the steps in one day. My
wife's sponsor works the steps the same way. I have learned alot today
and it was a great day.

Thanks for sharing,

Rob
dutchmen

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:32 pm

Actually, Dr. Bob, did more of taking newcomers through the Steps in a day... from what I've read, and from the old-timers that I've known that knew Bill W.

That's how I do it, too. I usually give them a break though, and we take about two or three days to do the 12 Steps. The final day we spend on Steps 10, 11 and 12... showing them how to do those combination Steps evey day... while they're working on Step Nine. And, we do daily follow-ups to make sure they are getting a solid foundation for the daily program of living with Steps 10 through 12. And, then we do weekly check-ups to see how Step Nine is moving along... to make sure we're headed towards progress.

For me, it's amazing to see how much better they and their lives get... at a much faster start, when we do it that way.

I often look at it as the same as baking a cake. Can you imagine mixing the cake mix... cracking the eggs... and waiting a month or two... to start stiring? And, after the mix is ready.... can you imagine waiting six months... before you put it in the oven... and then another year or two before putting the icing on it?

No wonder some peoples cake tastes so bad to them in their months and later years in sobriety.

When someone wants to put off taking the Steps and getting through them, I often wonder how long they'll be able to last... white knuckling it, until they learn the foundation to live the daily program of recovery. It's like being on the water-wagon and going to meetings. That may work for a while... and it might be better for a while... than drinking... but, sooner or later they'll need more than water and meetings.

It's kind of like playing baseball. The sooner I learn to play the faster I can get on the field. And, one year of playing experience on the field, knowing the game and knowing how to play... would make me a better ball player than someone who sat on the bench in the dug out, watching the game for 20 years. Someone can sit on the bench for 20 years... and still has never experienced what it is like to play ball. They may know a lot about the game... but, they'd probably strike out when their turn comes up to bat... if they have no experience swinging the bat!

And, let me be sure to say that "this has been my experience." So, for those who read this and don't relate, or they don't see it or experience it like I do... that's okay! :lol:

If what someone is doing works for them -- and they are happy, sober, sane, joyous and free, and their lives are getting great... and they do it different than I do it -- my hat is off to them -- and I encourage them to keep doing it the way they are doing it! If what you're doing works for you -- don't muck it up! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Steps