- How I got my sponsor

How I got my sponsor

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

How I got my sponsor

Postby 918gma » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:38 pm

When I first got sober, I started my search for a sponsor. I believed that since my issues were different than any one else's I need a certian type a sonsor. I was sure this was going to be a difficult and time consuming process. I had so many things to consider. I monopolized a few meetings asking the same questions over and over. Finally some gentelman, got a little frustrated with me and said, just pray, you'll find what your looking for.

So I did. Befor each meeting I said a pray to find the right sponsor, and it worked.

The first thing I found out was that I'm not any different than any one else in this program. I'm just a self centered garden variety alcoholic like any one else in AA.

I now feel that I would like to be a sponsor myself and start to give back what I've been given. I've had a few bites but so far no one has stayed with the program. I start to question myself as to why it's not working.

I have since given up that practice as well. I just go to meetings, trying to look act and feel like I have some thing some one else might want in thier life. The right person for me will come when my higher power needs me.
918gma

Thanks 918gma

Postby JR » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:18 pm

I followed gma's advice on getting a sponsor and it worked.

I called the woman I met Thursday night on Friday night to confirm that I would meet her at a Saturday morning meeting where she wanted me to meet her sponsor. We ended up in a really long conversation Friday night and she agreed to be my sponsor, Yeah! She has 15 years sobriety and she is sponsored by a woman with 20 years sobriety.

This morning I went to an absolutely fantastic closed women's meeting. Then my sponsor and her sponsor and a bunch of their sponcies went to breakfast after the meeting. It was a ready made family of sober women and I have NEVER seen anything like it. I was always looking for it but never found women in the program who had what I wanted, imagine my surprise to find a whole bunch of them.

Thanks gma for keeping it simple for me. God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves.

Easy Does It,

JR
JR

I',m Happy

Postby 918gma » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:20 am

It feels so good when some thing you learned helps some one else. I too have a sponcer lieniage. It is just like a ready made family. All working together toward the same goals.

During my drunk a log, I could not stand to be around women. I didn't like or trust them at all. I am so happy the program has helped me break through that fear as it turned out to be.

Enjoy your new family and keep in touch.
918gma

Postby LisaG » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:31 pm

i got my sponsor because i couldnt get out of tereatment unless i had a sponsor. if i didn't have to have one to get out i wouldnt have one. :twisted:
LisaG

Postby Dallas » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:30 am

Hey LisaG!!! I just love your honesty!!! Welcome to the forum! I know what you mean. I can identify! Thanks for sharing and please keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sponsors Forum