- prograstination..

prograstination..

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

prograstination..

Postby Angel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:37 pm

"Never Put off Until Tomorrow..What You Could Do Today..For Tomorrow May Never Come." I use to think that was the silliest thing I ever heard!! Until yesterday..It's a little bit of a story, please bear with me.

I was born and raised in Hartford,Conn. I raised my children in Manchester, Conn. In 2001, I came to Denver to be with my now Husband..2 Yrs. later, my son Justin came to live with us (Justin is 28 yrs. old but he suffers from Mental Illness and needs care) So, we brought him out here. Anyway, we had a family friend named Harry. He kind of took Justin under his wing, when things were bad for my son because of my drinking and drugging. Justin thought the world of Harry.and Harry thought the world of Justin..Harry took Justin on trips..He saw to it that he made Eagle Scout (Harry was very active in the Boy Scouts and was a retired History Teacher) He helped Justin with finances..Things that at the time I couldn't do for Justin because of my Alcoholism. Anyway, to make a long story short. When Justin came here, I kept telling him he should call Harry and let him know, he was here. Justin never did. Yesterday, out of the blue my son say's"I want to call Harry" So, I dialed the # for him and he got a recording that said the # was no longer in service. Well, that wasn't a good sign..So, I called the Nursing Facility that he was at when we left..and they told us he had passed away..My heart sunk..My son closed his door to his room and sob..and all he could say was what an asshole he was for not calling him..I think we both learned a valuable lesson and it brought new meaning to that saying..I understand now..if you don't do things today..you may never get the chance..tomorrow..

Thanks and May God Bless
Angel

Thank you

Postby 918gma » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:57 pm

I hear you loud and clear. I just got home from work. I had to work another day off. I was late getting there last night, because I just didn't want to go. I too have a handicapped daughter, and two other beutiful children that are grown with families of their own. I also have two grandsons. I had to write a memo stating why I was late. I so badly wanted to say, because I kissed my grandsons one too many times. I played one too many games with Kay. I visited too long with my kids. All things I didn't think were important when I was drinking. I was too busy earning a living and getting drunk with resentment and regrets. I never got to enjoy my children. Now that I'm sober, I want to enjoy every minute I have left on this earth doing what I didn't do when I should have. I'll never get the years I wasted back, and I understand that, but I'm not going to waste a minute of the time I have left.

We should not regret the past or shut the door on it, but we should learn from it. And the most important thing we should learn is what's important in our life.
1 the steps
2 higher power
3 family
4 work

The rest is just life and it's going to happen no matter what we do, but if we keep it in order and like you say, don't put it off, we're gonna be ok.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:26 pm

Prograstination? Is that like procrastinating on the 12 Steps, or being late for meetings?

Always take care of your body -- you really have no other place to live!

Three of the most difficult things for an alcoholic (wet or dry) to do:

1. Keep a secret.

2. Forget a rejection.

3. Make good use of leisure time!

Please remember that you have to pay for your sins... if you have already paid, please ignore this notice.

Hugs to you

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks gma.. :) So, nice of you to reply..I hear ya!! I too missed out on my children growing up (I wasn't the best parent in the world, needless to say) I drank and drugged, all through my childrens growing up..I didn't come into A.A., until my kids had already left me (my son was sixteen, when he decided he couldn't stand me anymore and moved out. My daughter at that same time was 14 and she was taken from me, by the courts, biggest heartbreak I ever had) :cry: I was 60 days sober, when this happened. I managed to stay sober, by the Grace of God and the people in A.A.. I'm sorry to say I didn't stay sober, but I did get 5yrs. and in those five years, I was able to put most of my life back together. I relapse after the 5 yrs. and have had problems staying sober ever since..I now have 5 months and I am so grateful ..God has given me another chance and this time, I'm not going to waste it. I don't believe, I have another recovery in me. :shock: Well, thanks for sharing and letting me share.. :D Hope to hear from you again soon...Love..Your Friend in Recovery..Angel 8)
Angel

Thanks

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:36 pm

Hi Dallas ..Angel here!! :) It's really kind of funny because it's so true; alcoholics do have a problem with those things..indeed!! :lol: There's just one thing, I wanted to add..It's something my husband says all the time (you can take this with a grain of salt..it's only food for thought) "You are not punished for your sins but by them.." Thanks..May God Bless :wink:

You Friend in Sobriety..Angel
Angel

Angel

Postby 918gma » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:18 pm

We are here for you Girl. I wonder if I could ever come back if I relapsed. It scares me more than you know. That's why I listen real close when some one talks about one. I don't wat to go, so thanks for sharing. It keeps me scared.

Like Dalas said, we should put the past behind us, and enjoy the moment.

Glad I get to enjoy mine with you guys
918gma

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks for the reply gma (someday you must tell me what that means?):lol: Let me just tell you this..because i did it for you..if your thinking about relapsing, take it from a pro..DON'T IT'S NOT WORTH IT..Each time it gets harder and harder to get back..IF YOU GET BACK..Thanks for the support..:D I can use all I can get..I just got out of the hospital from having tests. I was having chest pain and the Doc. thought it might be the ol' ticker... :shock: Thank God it wasn't..yet again H.P. is trying to tell me something ..QUIT SMOKING..time for me to listen..you think!! hummmmmmmmm!! :roll:
Angel

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:04 am

hey Angel my sweets, glad you AOK!, for me, stop smoking, pppfff! luved to, no willingness yet. :shock: and thanks for doing the Experamenting for us. when i hear somone at a meets that relapses, i try to always go up to them and thank them. i'm just like my friend 9! ... it scares the hell out of me. iv'e been to hell, and no lik'y :twisted: Angel, kcb with your posts, right now your a power of example! ... love ya toot's, your pal, PC :roll:
Rusty Zipper

Me again

Postby 918gma » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:06 pm

I I say I'm not in danger of relapse, that's when I foret that we are dealing with a cunning and bafling demond. I will say it's always on my mind. Not nagging or any thing. Just when I try to rationalize why I can't make a meeting or call my sponcor, cause I'm too busy, it pops up and all of a sudden I fing the time to do what it takes. When I hear some one talk about it, I gather all the info I can from thenm. First I hear that things haven't changed out there. It's still painfull and dangerous. It's still not the life I want any more. Then I listen to what they stoped doing. I make a mental note, am I doing that. Do I put out enough effort to prevent that from happening. Then I act accordingly.

Like Rusty Zip, I have put a lot f effort into this program to keep me where I am, and I don't give up anything it has given me. I'm too happy being sober. By the way it's good to hear from you Zip.

Being sober is real for me, and that's the way I choose to live my life. Thanks for being here for me.
918gma

THANKS

Postby Angel » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:32 am

Thanks Rusty..Good to hear from you.. :wink: GMA..Take it from a pro..Warning Signs of Relapse: Resentment..No Meetings..and if you ever start saying .."I WILL NEVER DRINK AGAIN.." Look Out!!! ..

Your Friend In Sobriety..Angel :D
Angel

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity