- My apology for not posting lately...

My apology for not posting lately...

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 pm

Tiss the season for storms, I guess.

I had another thunderstorm move through where I live and it knocked out my utilities for the last two and a half days. They got my electricity restored late last night -- but cable was still out and I couldn't log-in. The electric company said that they had 20 poles that were destroyed and had to be replaced. Fortunately.... I didn't have any storm damage... just the loss of electricity.

I tried a few Wi-Fi hot spots around where I live, with my lap top... but they couldn't connect with the Internet either. :lol:

So, I drove over into Oklahoma to a truck stop and finally was able to at least log-in.

Also sorry to all the new members who signed up during the last couple of days... I couldn't get your accounts activated because I couldn't log in.

I thought I would have a bunch of catching up to do in reading all your posted messages while I was gone... but, most of your electricity must have been out, too! :lol:

Keep coming back! And, posting!!! We need to hear from you.

I discovered that passing it on... and freely giving away what I had been given was the only way I ever got anything worthwhile to pass on.

So.... if you want more stuff coming into your life... start passing on now, what you already have, or what you want to have!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

No Lights

Postby debvan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:34 am

Dallas,

Sorry for your inconvenience.

After working for a electric utiltity for 32 years..............................why I wouldn't even give not having electricity a thought or an option. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I believe it is because I can take it for granted perhaps it's a luxury-we do it all the time. We do not notice it when we have it but when it is gone the void it leaves can bring out the worst in some of us.

For me being sober is a luxury. The ultimate. Worth all the effort and time I put into it. I work hard at it. I can't take it for granted. I take notice every morning and night with God asking him for another sober day and then thanking him for it at the day's end. If I take it for granted and not work the program and then be grateful for the strength from my hight power, I will be back drinking.

I let my guard down last October thinking I had it made, I was sober, right, and one little incident created enough drama for me that taking my soberiety for granted was not enough to keep me from that first drink. And you know the rest of the story............

All things aside. I really learn and absorb so much from everyones input. I may not have contributed alot. I am working on that.

Dallas, where I work they say keep your lights burning and use those kWhs.

Thanks!
Debv
debvan

Postby tj » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:41 am

Dallas,

I am so sorry for all of your problems the past few months. You are a regular part of my prayers. I am glad to hear that you are persevering. Faith and action, action, and more action--you are a living example of that. Stay safe.

Manette
tj

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks for that awesome message DebV, and thanks for the prayers Manette.

I so understand about taking electricity, air conditioning and Internet service for granted! I'll have to re-start doing my daily gratitude list and be sure those are on the list! :wink:

I have to admit that I wasn't a very good sobriety example... at least in my thinking... while the power was off.

My dogs kind of liked it because they got to go for extra rides in my air conditioned Suburban. :lol: They'll do anything to go for a ride and are willing to ride in anything in any condition just to go for a ride! We would go for rides... and stop at Burger King on the way home to buy them cheeseburgers. (My little dog will only eat cheeseburgers at Burger King. I've tried all the other places and she turns her nose away from them. She's picky and spoiled! )

I kept telling my dogs that the a/c would be back on in the house, hopefully soon. (They stay inside most of the time when it's hot outside).

I acted serene when my neighbor from across the street came over to tell me that their power was back on (at least a day and a half before mine was back), and to tell me that the people on the next block behind us all had power. :twisted: (I knew because I had been driving around looking)... and I started my "me me me me me me me" thinking. :lol:

I was certain that the entire towns electicity was on... and only my house and a couple of others were "long forgotten." So, a few extra calls went in to the utilities "power out" phone number. My neighbor said that he had to bug the heck out of them to get his back on... so I took his advice and made a few extra calls.

My thinking started to get "this is why I don't like living in this dumb little town I've got to get out of here and be where civilization doesn't have these dumb problems that keep coming up over and over and over and over again!" :twisted: ( :lol: :lol: )

Even when I went to my nightly meetings -- I didn't say it out load, and direct and to the point, but there was an air of "poor me... I've been without power!"

Finally, after the power was back on... I found out about the unfortunate death and injuries that happened to some of the electrical work crew that was trying to restore electricity... :cry: Talk about feeling bad? Real bad.

During most power outages I think about those dedicated guys working around the clock and how valuable their work is and how I appreciate them. But, this one time... when I had felt less-than grateful... and then learned of what happened to those workers... I felt really ashamed of myself for being so ungrateful and childish in my thinking. Yes. I did say some prayers for those workers and for their families and friends.

Thank God and A.A., that I get to live another day to change!

Last night I got to make some amends to help me change. I'll share about that in a different message.

Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tj » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:52 pm

I'll be interested to know about your amends. I have had some stinkin' thinkin' in the realm of being ungrateful lately, as well. Just reading your post has helped me be more aware of my recent thoughts. Thanks, Dallas. :)
tj

Postby Susan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:28 pm

The power has been out here too, Boo-hoo. I was whining too Dallas. I was also jonesing for my computer, what is that about? :D
Susan

Postby Dallas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:12 am

Well for me....

In Chapter 11, it talks about having a sufficient substitute for alcohol... and for me, as I understand it, it's the fellowship with other A.A.s!!! :lol:

So, when I can't log-in and communicate with you all -- I tend to get restless, irritable and discontented. :lol:

I think, because A.A. has been so good to me, and A.A.s have helped me so much... it's probably a good idea for me to stay addicted to you!!! It keeps me sober! And, without sobriety, for me, life really isn't worth living! :lol: :lol:

I'll write about the experience and the amends soon.... the experience is still in progress so I want to at least let it get to second base before I take a swing at writing about it.

Geeessssssssssssss it is so wonderful to connect with you all!!!!

Thanks for being you -- and for being here sharing with me.

I hope you all know how much it means to me. For me, experiencing your sharing is like experiencing the Sunlight of the Spirit!!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Susan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:28 am

Thank You Dallas, I am grateful for you. I am also grateful for my on line community. I used to go to meetings daily but due to ill health I have limitations and can not run as much as I used to. :D
Susan

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity