- Questions to help them start writing

Questions to help them start writing

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Postby Dallas » Mon May 01, 2006 5:43 am

Seven of the questions below, were given to me by Clancy I., a few years ago, and the idea with his Seven Questions... are to help someone to get into writing in preparation for their 4th Step. They are NOT intended to replace the 4th Step. (There is a post here in this forum, with Clancy's original Seven Questions, if you'd like to check out the originals).

I’ve used them with numerous newcomers to help relieve some of the emotional pressures that some of us arrive with, that can often lead us back to a drink before we get through the 4th Step.... if we don’t vent some of the stuff that’s really got us down. The results were positive. I’ve also used the Seven Questions with some Old-timers, who had strayed over to the “jumping off placeâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:40 am

Looking back on this post... I guess I'm the only one using these questions! :lol:

Update: I'm still using them and the results are good. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby chuckc » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:48 am

Dallas, all great questions... I think sometimes the writing style in the BB is a bit antiquated for some folks.

Adding to all that, my first sponsor had me write a list of all the things that I wanted to do before I died (the type of person I wanted to be, family, dreams, hopes, service to others, etc..) He had me write it as though the sky was the limit.

And once I was finished, he had me go back and cross off everything that I would never realize if I kept drinking. Talk about sobering...

Today, with a profound faith, I have an unshakeable commitment to LIFE. I take the good with the bad, just like everybody else. And I never forget the life I had before I got sober...which I truly wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
chuckc

Postby Dallas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Hey Chuck C. !!! It's great to hear from you!

I had very similar experiences that you wrote about with your Sponsor. Thank you so much for sharing it! And, thank you for kicking up my memories of it! (It's been a long time since then).

Would you do us a favor?

Since this is the "Sponsors Forum" -- would you mind writing it out for us, like your sponsor did with you -- or, as you would do it with people that you sponsor -- and try to show us precisely how you did/or do it.

It's a valuable process and a great sponsoring tool, and hopefully, you'll be the one to share it here on the site!!!

We get sponsors coming through here looking for things that they can use with the people they are sponsoring.... and it would be a great help for them, too!

Thanks,

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Berdie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi Dallas,

I'm new here, so I'm just getting around to reading some of these older posts. This one was good with the questions. Some other memory sparkers that I have discovered for the 4th step are:

*Listen to music, especially oldies - does it evoke any emotions? Sorrow? Guilt? Anger? Do you want to quickly change the song? If so, why? What memory does it hold? Who is involved in that memory?

**Drag out old photo albums or borrow some from friends and relatives that you will remember from those years gone by. Does the pictures you see of friends and relatives evoke emotions? Sorrow? Guilt? Anger? Do you want to quickly look away from the picture? If so, why? What memory does it hold? Who is involved in that memory?

***Make a list of all the clases as far back as you can remember from your school days. What grade were you in? What was the teacher's name? Who were some of your friends and classmates in that time? Do you remember anyone who brings up those same emotions listed above?

****Name all the relatives on your mother's side and on your father's side of the family. Can you think of their friends and children? Does that bring up any memories or emotions listed above?

*****Where did you hang out during your younger years? With who? Same process as above...

Those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. I have a list somewhere....but I've recently moved...need I say more? LOL!
Berdie

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:15 am

Thanks for adding to the list!
I'm sure that it will help many others with those additional questions.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:54 am

Hiya again Berdie and Dallas,

I'm really glad Berdie found these jewels. Thanks.

And Dallas, thanks for these suggestions, and thank your sponsor for me. Lately, I've been seeing how valuable inventories are. I'll give these questions a shot in the future whenever I pick up another protege'. And I'll study them myself because they can really make my 10th step a bit fuller and better.

Thanks again - and sorry it took so long for me to find these.

Paul
garden variety

Return to Sponsors Forum