- How Would You Work The 7th Step With Your Sponsee ?

How Would You Work The 7th Step With Your Sponsee ?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

How Would You Work The 7th Step With Your Sponsee ?

Postby schooner » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:01 am

Hi Guys/Gals

Need some different veiw points on how you work the 7th step with your sponsee ?

I know what it says; " Humbly asks Him to remove our short-coming."

What kind of assignment can I give my sponsee? Other than prayers which is first for him to say in accordance with this step.

Thank You ALl
GOD BLESS

Schooner 8)
schooner

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:14 pm

I simply follow the instructions for the Step in the Big Book.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 pm

As dallas said, get them to stick to the black parts in the big book, page 76

-
When ready, we say something like this: "My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen." We have then completed Step Seven. -

I'd usually get them to read chapter 7 of the 12x12 too
GeoffS

All I Can Read Says " . . . My Creator I am now . . .

Postby schooner » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Dallas wrote:I simply follow the instructions for the Step in the Big Book.

Hey Dallas

Just what kind and where do I start with the Big Book . Maybe I'll tell him to list his short-coming that he wants to give to his H/Power.

What do you think of that. Any other suggestions please.

GOD BLESS
Schooner 8)
schooner

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:42 pm

When I take them through their Steps, we start with the front cover of the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous. We go through the Title page, Table of Contents, Forwards, Preface, Dr.'s Opinion, and through each chapter up through Chapter 7, taking each Step as we come to it, One through Twelve, and ending with the taking of the Steps on page 103. (Whenever possible, I like to have them read from the front cover up to page 103 before we start).

Then, I help them outline the practice of Steps 10, 11, & 12, in a structured way, so that they can practice those Steps daily in a disciplined routine.

I prefer to start the process on a Friday with Step 1, and end up at least by Sunday afternoon, on Step 12, that will leave us with Sunday evening to re-cap the daily practice of 10-12, and have them all ready to start out their new week using the spiritual tool kit.

Then I follow-up with them daily, for a while, for progress reports and checking-in. The main point of helping them get off to a good start in the practice of a routine of structure and discipline (re: page 88, Big Book). Then, we cut back to just a quick weekly check-in for progress and problems reports. And, they can always call at any time if they have a problem that can't wait.

Typically, that's how I do it with them.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: How Would You Work The 7th Step With Your Sponsee ?

Postby Berdie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:57 pm

schooner wrote:Hi Guys/Gals

Need some different veiw points on how you work the 7th step with your sponsee ?

I know what it says; " Humbly asks Him to remove our short-coming."

What kind of assignment can I give my sponsee? Other than prayers which is first for him to say in accordance with this step.

Thank You ALl
GOD BLESS

Schooner 8)

Heyya Schooner...

One of the ways I have a sponcee work the 7th step is that we go back for a moment to the 4th step and look at our part in the inventory and take a look at what caused it. Ego, pride, jealousy, etc... and we see our character defects. We see how sometimes they are repeated over and over in our 4th step...causing reoccuring problems there. (Sometimes we have taken these character defects and written them down on strips of paper and burned them after the 7th step as an offering of them and true turning them over to our HP.)

Next I ask them to memorize the original 7th Step Prayer, and I explain that I had began praying that prayer daily in my recovery. Once they memorize it, I ask them to create a prayer in thier own words then, in todays language to express how they want to say that prayer or one along those lines. I have them pick out somewhere spiritual, (same as I had them do in the 3rd step) and I tell them to let me know when they have done these three things. When they tell me they are done, we have a look at the prayer they created and I try to encourage them in that they created that prayer to thier HP. I have them recite the original 7th Step Prayer to me to be sure they have memorized it. (Same as I did with the 3rd step prayer.) If they don't like to write or have problems memorizing it, I have them get a little pocket recorder and they record it and listen to it over and over until they have memorized it.

After they have memorized the original prayer and written one of their own, I ask them to think of who they want present for the first time they say that prayer in the spiritual place they have chosen and which prayer they would like to say. Some people pick a park, some a chapel, some want to say it in the AA room after or before a meeting, some just want to say it somewhere outside... it's all good. I tell them that other people will need a copy of their own prayer if that's the one they are going to say and they want the other people/person to say it with them. If they ask me to say it with them, I go with them or if they want to say it with family or a friend, I just ask them to relay to me when they have completed this. Once I had someone who wanted a big group of people to say it with them, (the original 7th Step Prayer), so we all went out side the AA meeting to the porch and we all got down on our knees and prayed with them. It was great.

Anyway, that's the usual way I have done the 7th step with sponcees.
Berdie

Postby Susan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Schooner, have you read the BB and have you done the steps yourself? This is very important. Step 6&7 are done in private after the person has done there 5th step. What I do is say the 7th step prayer with them as we begin step 8. 3d & 7th step prayers are daily prayers for all of us. Avoid variations from the Big Book. The directions work!!!! Playing in opinions and variations are a high risk. Are you sure you are ready to sponser? You have someone elses life in your hands you know.
Susan

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Thank you, Susan. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

,,,,,,,,GOOD STUFF,,,,,,,
ROBERT

Postby DiggerinVA » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:34 pm

Yes take a close look at Page 76 Paragraph 1 the instruction for step 6. Then once they are willing. Page 76 Paragraph 2. Then a little patience and the results are amazing.

One odd example I smoked cigars 5 or so a day. It start5ed off with being unable to smoke in certain places. Then the inventory built up I canceled my subscription. Then how I smoked them changed(actual act I no longer worked them). Now I have about 9 in the humidor and well I guess they will be there a while. So I guess they were bothering God.;-)
DiggerinVA

Return to 12 Steps