- The dubious luxury of normal men/women

The dubious luxury of normal men/women

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

The dubious luxury of normal men/women

Postby ccs » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:43 am

the grouch and the brainstorm those dubious luxuries I hate when they happen but happen they do

I let someone effect my mood tonight :x (it was my boss) he really knows how to push my buttons and yes I still have BUTTONS! but today I know I also have choices to let or not to let those buttons be pushed.

but tonight I let it happen to me there I was playing that dvd in my head how dare he say that to me :lol: just who does he think he is!! and I kept it going for a couple of HOURS!! (squandering!!)

eventually with a pause and a few words with GOD ( whom without this program I wouldnt even be on speaking terms with) SANITY started to return!! (what little I have :lol: ) I think about what I am reading right now pg. 67 we asked GOD to help us show them the same tolerance,pity,and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend .

ofcourse that wasnt my first thought(censored :lol: ) I really love the this is a sick man !! but it doesnt stop there it goes on to say how can I be helpful to him (oh man that hurts!!)

its just amazing to me how now a days even when I loose sight of working the steps in my daily life they come and work me !!! I really had to get that out tinight I`m so glad you guys are here!!

my first sponsor used to always tell me it takes atleast! five years to start getting some of your marbles back (in fact on her 5th anniversary our home group gave her a bag of marbles along with her medallion) and it takes the next five to start learning how to use them :lol:

so I`m still ten months away from seeing my marbles :roll: one day at a time by the GRACE OF GOD

I thank GOD for AA and I thank AA for GOD

thanks for letting me ramble cessie

so how do some of you deal with the dubious luxuries?? :lol:
ccs

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:46 am

CCS wrote:I think about what I am reading right now pg. 67 we asked GOD to help us show them the same tolerance,pity,and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend .

Thanks for sharing CCS,

Your quote above IS the ORIGINAL and SUGGESTED prayer to be free of resentments. And, it does work!!! It's asking in this particular way, for God's will for me and the power to carry it out, using the formula of the 12 Steps. Often I've heard of people using a prayer in one of the newer stories in the back of the book -- about praying for someone else, even though we're told not to do that (in the Plan of Recovery). I tried it a couple of times and it caused a return of my resentments towards God, the other person, my self, and everyone else!!! When I got back to the suggested prayer on page 67, poof....... they were gone and I was free of them. So, especially thanks for sharing it. (If someone tried the other way... and it drove them back to the brink of a drink... they can be reminded that "there is another way." ) :wink:

CCS wrote:my first sponsor used to always tell me it takes atleast! five years to start getting some of your marbles back (in fact on her 5th anniversary our home group gave her a bag of marbles along with her medallion) and it takes the next five to start learning how to use them

My first sponsor told me that I would be a newcomer for the first 5 years. When I got to 5 years they upped it to 10 years!! And, here 21 1/2 years later... my current sponsor still considers me as a newcomer! (He's got going on 50 years). :lol: But, that's okay with me. I got rid of the desire to grow up too soon! And, I enjoy the extra time, care and attention! :lol:

Gees... "the grouch and the brainstorm" -- I have to keep an eye on both of them. On Saturday morning I woke up from a hellish dream where I was restless, irritable and discontented in the dream... I knew I was in a dream... and couldn't wake up! I talked to others about the dream (I've learned that for me, it's a good idea to share all that's going on with me). I've been doing my Steps, doing the deal... and have the crazy dream.

Then, I go to bed Saturday night.. and wake up Sunday morning... everything starts going backwards :twisted: and I'm nuts. Needless to say, I was making amends about every 5 minutes and cautioning others about my lunatic day. By the afternoon I was better.

In talking to others about it -- we uncovered a problem I've been having getting a good night of rest and sleep. It was suggested that I might be having a breathing problem when I sleep and I wake up feeling unrested.

It seems that regardless of how well I do the deal -- something physical can interferre with my progress. (Physical, Mental, Emotional, Spiritual). So, today... I'm working on a solution for my sleeping. (Help with the breathing).

I've found that if I don't look in all areas of my life -- I can have the crazies attack me from out of no where. I've also discovered... the crazies can attact regardless of what I'm doing. They just come -- and I have to admit and acknowledge them. (My imperfections). If I spend too much time on analyzing them, I'll end up thinking too much, and then, I'll be squandering. :lol: Thank God and the Fellowship that we have tools that we can do and use to lessen or to deal with the negative outcomes.

CCS wrote:eventually with a pause and a few words with GOD ( whom without this program I wouldnt even be on speaking terms with) SANITY started to return!!

Another great Big Book solution!!! :wink: Thanks for reminding me! Perhaps, I could have turned around my day earlier... had I just remembered that suggestion!!!

For me, that's why I need the mutuality of the Fellowship. (You, and the others in A.A.) , and our identification with each other... and our common problems, and our common solution! It's also why I need meetings. To get to give and to give to get what it is that I need to get. :wink:

Thank you! I appreciate you.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 pm

I chuckle with that "dubious luxury" line. Somehow I think this is a shot of that "dry" Bill Wilson humor.

A "dubious luxury" sounds like an oxymoron to me. In other words even for normal people, this whole idea of resentment, or brainstorm, or grouch might not really be a luxury because they all involve being miserable. "Normal" people that hold grudges or that are "grouches" would have a peculiar way indulging in luxuries like this. So it becomes a "question" even to the normal world if these things are really a luxury.

So I guess the only way these things can be a luxury is if they are "optional" which would mean that a "normal person" could "afford" a dubious luxury. So what Wilson is actually saying is the misery these things bring about in a normal person will not kill them - but they will lead alcoholics to drink again which in our case would be fatal.

So even if I was a "normal person", I think I'd pass on the brainstorm or the grouch, and having resentments.

But like ccs said, there is a whole lot of power in praying for someone you have a resentment with. I'm learning that this is a luxury I can really enjoy.
garden variety

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery