- Links in a chain

Links in a chain

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Links in a chain

Postby GeoffS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Just thought I'd share this.

My sponsor and his sponsor and I all attend the same meeting, our home group in fact. Sometimes a lot of the old timers show up and there is an incredible amount of sobrietyin the room, just miraculous really.

One time my sponsor chaired, and called me to share. Then he called his own sponsor to share. Then that man's sponsor closed the meeting. One of my sponsees was there too. He will be sponsoring very soon.

It just amazes me when a link spanning the years like that is evident in the room. Makes me appreciate and be grateful for this amazing fellowship that we are part of.
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:11 am

That's awesome!!!

Have you thought of how incredibly lucky and blessed that you are?

I would love to someday be able to visit your home group!!!

What an experience that would be!

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:11 am

We are very lucky in our home group.

We have a lot of guys who work a strong program, and stick very close to the big book and to each other. The group was founded after a member visited with a group in California and saw how they helped one another.

Many have been around a long time, and have had happy lives. They keep coming back and freely pass it on.

Part of the group culture is service work, at many different levels of AA, it just becomes part of what you do and how you live.

We are always happy to look after visitors from other groups both near and far. We always love to hear from our friends and regularly have guest speakers.

I am so grateful to be a part of (for a change) and gratefully do my bit to help keep the doors open for others who may need the help of our home group, and make sure I am spiritually fit enough to pass on the message as it was passed to me.

Would be great to see anyone from here visit Melbourne, AA is strong here.
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:29 pm

GeoffS wrote:Part of the group culture is service work, at many different levels of AA, it just becomes part of what you do and how you live.

When I was new in A.A., I was told "that's how it works." They said I always had to have a job in A.A., and it didn't matter what the job was... maybe it would be picking up litter in the parking lot where the meeting was held... but, I had to have a job and look at it as a commitment, and sobriety was about learning to keep my word... by keeping my commitments. I got sober in California!!! Maybe, I've got some Austrailian sobriety in me!!! :lol: :lol:

I'm glad the guy from Austrailia visited California A.A. He kept 'em in practice until I could get there!!! :lol: :lol:

I have heard that the A.A. in Austrailia is strong. Charlie & Joe McQ (the original Joe, that passed away) told me about their trips to Austrailia. Imagine that. A couple of Arkansas alkies... getting to go to meetings in Austrailia, and making it back sober to remember it and to talk about it!!! And, they made it out to California, too!

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sponsors Forum