- Resisting Temptation

Resisting Temptation

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Resisting Temptation

Postby Angel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:07 am

Hi My Name is Linda and I am an Alcoholic/Addict...

I had an enlightening experience today..And I want to share it with you all..My son is on a drug called Klonopin..It's a form of tranq. This is one of the drugs I got strung out on..I was stealing my son's Klonopin..To get high..I ended up O.D. and spent 2 days in I.C.U. I also ended up having to tell his Dr. what I did, so he could get more meds to last him the month..Talk about humbling..!! :roll: Anyway, I met my husband at the noon meeting and he gave me the pills to give to Justin..Bingo, what's my first thought, I could take a few out of here and he will never know..Then I thought it through..I remembered where that got me last time and I didn't do it..This evening I was kicking myself in the ass.. but I know I did the right thing..Almost 6 months ago, I wouldn't have had that kind of defense..but today I do..and for that I'm grateful..Oh by the way, this is the second time, I've had that kind of experience..As my friend Rusty would say .."Miracles Of Miracles" Thanks :wink: The Angel
Angel

Temptation

Postby jimvbaumann » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:57 am

Hey Angel - Glad you made the right choice! Just like drinking, it is only the first one we have to avoid. It can be hard sometimes, but you always come through stronger by using the program. Willpower won't help. Hope you have a sponsor or other AA buddy that you can "tell on yourself" to. It makes temptation easier to handle when there are people in your life who know what signs to look for.
jimvbaumann

Postby Angel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:38 pm

Thanks, Jim for your reply.. :D You are so right, will power won't work, without the help of A.A. and a H.P. It states in chapter 3 pg. 43 of the Big Book that; "The alcoholic at cetain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power..." So, what you said was right on..I'm just coming back from a relapse. So, I don't have a sponsor at this time, but I do have a support system..Thanks again, for your support..Your Friend in Sobriety.. Angel
Angel

Don't wait too long

Postby 918gma » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:27 pm

It's awesome that your doing so well, but recovery is in the steps. That is our insurance. A sponsor will know you and like the man said, it's hard to lie to your sponsor. It's like fire insurance. You don't think you need it until you do.
918gma

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery