- What do you do for fun, when you're sober?

What do you do for fun, when you're sober?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Hey Julie,

Wish I could go pet the horses with you!
Sounds fun.

When I was freshly sober... I made a list of all the fun things that I did as a little kid. You know... play with some mud. Ride my bike. Throw rocks on ponds. Going to museums. Places of historic interest. Botanical gardens. Fishing. Playing in the sand at the beach. I also made a list of all the things that I wished I could have done as a kid... if I had the money to do it... amusement parks, Boardwalks, zoos, observatories... toy stores. :lol: And, since I had a few bucks in my pocket... I started doing a little bit of all of them. I also went out and bought the best camera that I could buy and started shooting between 50 to 100 rolls of film each day.... I bought a guitar, and started fooling around with it again... and my list could go on and on and on.

I was one of those kids that had to grow up and leave home early (13 years old)... and problems around the house kind of kept me from having a child-hood experience. So, I made up for the lost time!!! :lol: :lol:

It was fun. It did a world of good for me. I think that healthy play is very good for us. And, I've adopted the philosophy that "Life is for living, loving, laughing, learning ... and passing it on!"

Just thinking about this... reminded me of last week. I was trying to help a newcomer... and my mind went to just the thing to do... We went to a local park that historically always had a bunch of stray homeless cats living and breeding in the bushes. I used to take cat food out there and just leave it for them. It made me feel good about myself knowing that I was doing something to help them. When we got to the park... they had did a construction project... and the area that the cats lived in were gone... and by the time we started looking for something else to do -- the newcomer had moved back from the jumping off place... so, we made a plan to do it on another day.

Thanks for sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:47 am

D & G

Thanx for the replies. I do need to learn how to have fun and I find that kind of pathetic. LOL I started using drugs and drinking at such a young age I don't even know WHAT I used to do for fun. These posts give me hope that I will have fun one day without drinking.

Right now I'm just trying to get thru "happy hour" without drinking. Each day I wake up and I've made it another day sober is a blessing.

Take care and have fun!

:wink:
Jools

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey Julie,

It's great to hear back from you.

Have to taken the time to sit back, relax and write an answer to:

"What would I like to do with my sober life?
What would my sober life be like, if I could design it any way that I want?
What would I do?
What would I be?
Who and what people would be in my sober life?"

I did that exercise when I was freshly sober.

Then, I got to take a review of it, one sober year later...

To my amazement... my life and what I did and what I had... was better than what I had planned for myself!!!

It worked so well for me that I began to do the exercise once each year.

Many of the things on my list would have been considered by others... to be impractical... not possible... not logical.

I'm glad that I didn't let their expectations hold me back.

I got sober in a place that carried a message of "You can have, and do, and be, anything you want.... as long as your willing to work for it, using the same tools and priciples that you use to stay sober."

We still live in the age of miracles. Their examples proved that to me.... until I had enough time to prove it to myself.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby kidlizard » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 pm

This is a good one.

We have a lotta guys at the mtgs that go golfing all the time and we have a blast. I remember playing golf for the first time with my sponsor.

You see I think I should always shoot par even though I dont practice and play enough to do so. When I messed up a shot and got pissed off my sponsor would "straighten me out".

I'll tell you if theres one thing that can reveal my defects of character its the game of golf. However, thats since changed. I managed to concentrate now on the moment and joy of being there with people SOBER.

I thought I'd never be able to play without a drink. I really thought I could play better with a few drinks. (Just like I could drive a car better when I was drunk). Even tho I managed a few DUI's and other tickets. I still havent even been pulled over since I been sober........Hmmm imagine that. (Knock on Wood).
kidlizard

Fun

Postby sunlight » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:23 pm

When I read in the BB "We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (pg 132) I asked myself "Well,am I?"
I never even thought about it during the end of my drinking,
cuz it took all my effort just to keep from falling off the earth.

I started gardening again,which to me is like sobriety - admittting I am powerless to bring forth any fruit on my own & the weeds have become unmanageable,trust God to make the seed grow, but do my part to nurture it. It's been so rewarding!! & the beauty of the flowers & the harvest of produce fills my spirit in a way that's indescribable. Plus pulling those weeds is great when there's a resentment brewing! :lol:

Also got involved in the Fellowship club I belong to, got elected to the board & put in charge of entertainment. Look out drunks!!!!This has been a total blast. Last weekend I put on a Luau, complete with roast pig & a hula hoop contest,grass skirts & leis. It was a great way to bring everyone together & give people an oppportunity to be of service & have fun.

Hiking, biking playing with my grandkids,bowling,dancing...it's all new being sober! The best part is I don't fall on my butt doing all this!
sunlight

Postby tj » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:24 pm

The best thing for me is being present in my own life and the lives of my kids. I didn't miss one minute of my daughter's senior year in high school and haven't been drunk for one second of her first semester in college. I know I will treasure these memories forever. I thank God each day for my sobriety. I never knew something so good could happen to me. :D
tj

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Hey Sunlight... You've convinced me that I need to move to Denver! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Red A. » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:16 am

I love to hear newcomers bring this up. first it means that they are seriously considering giving this thing a shot, and I'm reminded of my early days and staring into the blank abyss that I imagined as life without alcohol.

The answer is anything and everything. If something interests me, I'll study it for a bit, and then I decide if I'll jump in. A not complete list includes, community theater, trap and skeet, combat handgun competition, upland bird hunting, 4X4's, restoring old firearms, motorcycles, ....... add in a job, marriage, step-daughter and my house and I'm pretty pressed for time. I'm thinking that getting my pilots license will be up next.
Red A.

Postby Dallas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Red, thanks for sharing and participating in the forum.
Welcome to the site. I look forward to reading more of your shares.

Best wishes to you,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:38 am

Reds a busy boy!:wink:

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

KCB,
Julie

Jools

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics