- How long did it take Bill W. to take the 12 Steps?

How long did it take Bill W. to take the 12 Steps?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Jim W » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:00 am

Sorry for the long delay. I've been working a lot, too much in fact.

Anyway, I hope I can clarify what I meant by spiritual recovery.

In the second forward, Bill mentions that although he couldn't agree with all the Oxford Group's tenets, he saw the need for inventory, confession, restitution, belief in and dependance on God, and service to others. Basically, our A.A. program.

In Akron, the early members adhered pretty rigoursly to these practices, hence the much higher recovery rate. In fact, in Dr. Bob and The Good Old-Timers, it is mentioned that meetings were important, but not vital. The ones who got drunk were the ones who neglected their spiritual life.

Meanwhile, in NYC, it was different. The early A.A.'s there did not adhere too much to Oxford Group practices. It was much more fellowship based. And Bill, in his efforts to keep everyone happy, let members like Jim B. and Hank P. sway him away from the full on approach. And the recovery rate was much lower. That was why Bill wrote that letter to Gracie Snyder.

These days, the felloowship based, go to a lot meetings approach is the prevaleant one. Read a little piece called "Gresham's Law and Alcoholics Anonymous." It spells it out.
Jim
Jim W

Postby Susan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 am

I sort of understand this. There are plenty of people out here that do not pray, change there conduct nothing. They just don't drink and go there merry way. Don't say anything about going to church either.
Susan

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:49 pm

Jim W wrote:Sorry for the long delay. I've been working a lot, too much in fact.

Anyway, I hope I can clarify what I meant by spiritual recovery.

In the second forward, Bill mentions that although he couldn't agree with all the Oxford Group's tenets, he saw the need for inventory, confession, restitution, belief in and dependance on God, and service to others. Basically, our A.A. program.

In Akron, the early members adhered pretty rigoursly to these practices, hence the much higher recovery rate. In fact, in Dr. Bob and The Good Old-Timers, it is mentioned that meetings were important, but not vital. The ones who got drunk were the ones who neglected their spiritual life.

Meanwhile, in NYC, it was different. The early A.A.'s there did not adhere too much to Oxford Group practices. It was much more fellowship based. And Bill, in his efforts to keep everyone happy, let members like Jim B. and Hank P. sway him away from the full on approach. And the recovery rate was much lower. That was why Bill wrote that letter to Gracie Snyder.

These days, the felloowship based, go to a lot meetings approach is the prevaleant one. Read a little piece called "Gresham's Law and Alcoholics Anonymous." It spells it out.
Jim

Jim--Thanks for posting this. 'Greshams Law and Alcoholics Anonymous' is an interesting and thought-provking article. I'd have to put myself in the 'medium' category, as they are described. My own recovery has, however, a strong spiritual foundation. Meetings are important, but I don't count on them to keep me sober.
Tim

Gresham's Law and Alcoholics Anonymous

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

The forum Moderators just approved this link, to Barefoot Bill's website, where he has the info posted for Greshams's Law... as mentioned in the posts above:

www.barefootsworld.net/aagreshamslaw.html

Our guidelines for the www.Step12.com forum is, that we do not post links to other sites, in forum messages... that we can send them in PM's... that's why I got the Moderators permission before posting the above link. :wink:

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 12 Steps