- Morals and sobriety

Morals and sobriety

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

morals

Postby sunlight » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Merriam Webster says"moral" has to do with the principles of right & wrong regarding behavior. It was necessary for me to take a moral inventory 'cuz, as the book tells me, I could no longer separate the true from the false & thought my alcoholic life was normal.
So I could justify anything I did & believe it was true & noble & necessary! That's why I need a sponsor & to work the steps & read the big book & have a conscious contact with God-because I'm blind by myself. :twisted:
Once I awoke spiritually I found morality was already there, inside me,just like g v said. "We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us". :shock:
Guess I just have to keep it simple-do unto others ...love one another...
A good laugh helps too!
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Hiya Sunlight,

I want to add here that the 4th step and that moral inventory comes right after the 3rd step - I believe for a reason. If my will and my life is not under the care of God as I understand Him, then there is no way I can possibly do the 4th step. Because like you said, and Dallas said, and most everyone else that's a real alcoholic knows we let our morals get swallowed up in that cold vapor-like fog of King Alcohol. I don't think we had a clue what we were doing in the 4th step. But as long as we did step 3 with the desperation of drowning folks, then God would have our OK (note step 3 in one word "consent") to put His Power behind our pencil and paper.

That is so cool how it happens because there's not anyone I know that did the 4th step with that same desperation that didn't say something like this - myself included: "I just put the pencil down on the paper and everything started coming out and I couldn't stop it. Things I knew I'd take to the grave with me just came out and stuff I didn't even remember or think about in years just came out writing on that paper."

Now that is one heck of a powerful testimony to the "efficacy" (new big word!!! got that from my doctor!) of the 3rd step. If you all know what I'm talking about with step 4 - say AMEN! Like you said we couldn't "differentiate what was true from what was false" like it said in the Doctor's Opinion.

Thanks Sunlight for your sunlight in my life today. I really need it.
garden variety

morals

Postby sunlight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Haven't blown off trying to bring up the topic of morals in a meeting, but others have been needing to talk of different topics. This is good! So many times no one will bring up anything! :roll:
From hearing this topic in the past,I got the impression that "morals" was a subjective affair & no one should tell anyone what to do. I get that ,but it seems a slippery slope. I spent too much time doing what I pleased & justifying it. :oops:
I think this is one of those AA paradoxes,which I love!
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:12 am

I just wonder if....

the reason so many A.A.'s never make it past Step 3, is: they are afraid of what they'll find in their "moral inventory" in Step 4??? :lol: :lol:

Oh what an order!!! How can I avoid this??? :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

morals

Postby sunlight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:23 pm

G V wrote :"If you all know what I'm talking about with step 4- say AMEN!"
So AMEN! brother! Praise God & pass the pepsi!
I've kept a journal since I was 13 & the morning after my last drunk I skipped work & started writing.My 1st words were "Dear God I'm an alcoholic" I thought "Where did THAT come from?" I knew nothing about AA other than it existed,but that gave me the idea & courage to find a meeting. It came from the writing & turning to God.
Pg. 73 tells me "they only thought they had lost their egoism & fear:they only only thought they had humbled themselves.." Yep,I only thought a lot of things, so a moral inventory is vital for me on an ongoing basis - a WRITTEN inventory. But I have to take God with me or I start rationalizing & the fear creeps in.Loved Gresham's Law link. Thank you!
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:21 pm

On my first trip to A.A. -- had I known that the Anonymous Alcoholics didn't drink... I would have went somewhere else!!! I didn't like to be around people that didn't drink -- especially... I didn't like to be around myself while not drinking! :lol:

Wow. Imagine that... I had no desire to stop drinking and didn't want to stay in A.A. because they didn't drink! Some Groups would have thrown me out! But, I got lucky... and the A.A.'s let me stay. But, they did warn me... that A.A. would screw up my drinking! At the time -- I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

On my second chance in A.A. -- I knew that the alcoholics didn't drink -- and I knew that's where I wanted to be! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 am

Its funny how recovery changes for us as we describe how/why we go to AA

I changed from

I should be in AA
I could be in AA
I need to be in AA
I want to be in AA
I prefer to be in AA
GeoffS

Re: Morals and sobriety

Postby msboston63 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:00 am

Dallas wrote:I've noticed that we don't hear much about "Morals" in sobriety -- in our meetings. I don't know if it's because talking about morals seems religious to some folks and they are offended by it -- or, if it's just something that we'd rather evade.

Our 4th Step specifically refers to a "moral" Inventory.

When I was newly sober in AA, I wanted to avoid any "moral" discussion. 8) Primarily, because I was happy to keep my lower standards for my behavior.

Then, I came face to face with the fact that I was going to have to change... if I wanted to stay sober for the long-haul.

For me, my spirituality would not be spirituality -- without making moral choices and moral decisions.... followed by taking actions that are congruent with my moral ideals for myself.

When I make moral choices -- I feel good about me and who I am. And, for me, feeling good about me -- was a strange concept... I didn't know what it was like to legitimately feel good about myself.

Perhaps, it was because my self-esteem was so low -- because I had continued to try to lower my moral standards to meet my circumstances.... until I reached a stage of pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.

For me, it was critical for me to change and to continue to continue changing... so that eventually I would feel good about me. Without developing a positive and healthy self-esteem... I somehow knew that my sobriety would be precarious.

Dallas B.
You should be hearing about morals every time you go to a meeting..Every one of the 12 steps has a Moral..ie,1st step: admitting we were powerless=honesty etc
msboston63

Morals and sobriety

Postby BrandyeW » Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 am

Like button!
BrandyeW

Postby Dallas » Sat May 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for keeping this topic Green and Growing and refreshing it up. I find it's always a relevant subject.
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics