- Good A.A. Meeting Topics

Good A.A. Meeting Topics

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Good A.A. Meeting Topics

Postby Dallas » Sun May 18, 2008 10:47 pm

One of the nice things about having an outlined format for A.A. meetings, is that it makes it easier to maintain a reasonably structured setting for having a meaningful meeting.

Often, there might be a list of appropriate or suggested meeting topics.

Sometimes, I wish we had some sort of format with suggested topics here in our forum. But, then, again... maybe we do... since our forum is divided into topics.

When activity gets quiet here in the forum -- I often begin to wonder if we've discussed the heck out of just about everything, and it's time to archive this forum -- and just start a new one! :lol:

Maybe we need a new Category... such as "Tell us about your problems" :lol: Or, for those who are following much of the suggestions aready posted here in the forum, we could start a new Category titled "Tell us about your lack of problems!" :lol:

Maybe we need to start something like Daily Journals... or Blogs... where each member can share their own Journal or Blog with us.

Maybe.... your suggestions and feedback would help!

Perhaps you've had some ideas that you've thought about, or you see a need, where we can be more effective in helping the still suffering alcoholics... or a way that we can help encourage and support and help each other and other others. :wink:

Well???? How about it? Tell me what you think or what you are experiencing... or, what you might like to experience. But, whatever you do... go ahead and do something! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tj » Tue May 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Dallas,

I am going to attempt to reply to your post. There is alot there and I am not going to address everything, but here's what I got. As a relative newcomer, I found that the board overwhelmed me at first--of course, breathing and walking at the same time overwhelmed me when I first got sober, too. :D I think that it might be valuable to get some reports on the different topics and replies on the board. Then come up with some archiving guidelines. Maybe archive all threads with less than 500 views and put those with more than 500 views in an "All time favorites" category. Maybe if all of the topics were not so full, then new people would feel more comfortable posting. When I first looked at the board, I didn't want to ask anything or comment on anything because I figured someone had already covered it somewhere. Please don't take this as criticism. I so appreciate this forum and all of the work that you put into it. As our book says, this is merely a suggestion. Here's to another 24.

Manette
tj

Postby GeoffS » Wed May 21, 2008 2:08 am

tj wrote:When I first looked at the board, I didn't want to ask anything or comment on anything because I figured someone had already covered it somewhere.
Manette

Can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm an alcoholic, and I quite often need things to be gone over a few times. People in AA have been kind enough to tell me the same thing many times til I got it, often having to labouriously repeat themselves. I'm grateful for that.

I feel if something has been covered once it can do me no harm to hear it again. Also if its something I can pass on, I'm more than happy to pass it on to the next alcoholic who asks. However many times it asked.
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Wed May 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Keep them coming!!!

I wish there was a way to move some of the messages that are posted that are not relevant to the topic... but, we don't have the capability to do that with this forum software. A newer version of the software makes it possible to move messages that are off-topic... but I haven't got up the nerve to install it yet and make the change-over! :oops: Plus, it will take some time to work out some of the existing bugs and apply patches to the newer software to make it secure.

Please keep the suggestions coming. It takes our "group efforts" to make the best decisions and take the best directions that can help us to better reach and to be of service to our Fellows.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:24 am

Greetings Dallas,

Actually, I really enjoy coming here and just reading. I would hate to see anything removed because I am new and a lot of the old stuff helps me. I'm not sure if I should reply to the older topics or not, like this one, but I do enjoy reading them, they've really helped me.

The economy has really affected my business and I have a lot of down time...well, you know what happens to us alkies when we start thinkin'!?!?!
:wink:

One thing tho...how do I find new topics?

Takin' it a day at a time,

Julie
Jools

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Julie wrote:One thing tho...how do I find new topics?

Hey Julie! Good to hear from you!

The best way to find a new topic... I've discovered... is
to start one! :wink:

When I first log-in, if someone has posted something new -- there will be a colored icon designating a new topic or a reply to an old topic.

If you're not seeing a different colored icon when you log in, either there isn't anything new that was posted... or, maybe you'll need to change your preferences in your profile page.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for your comments, too!

I appreciate you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Victor » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:32 pm

:D hey fellow alkies i agree with Geof I too need to hear the wisdom many times then some more and maybe we can have a forum for burning desires? Just a suggestion Dallas :P

peace all

victor
Victor

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 am

Thanks for the suggestions Victor.

Write a description for the forum (kind of like each forum has for the announcement and description of the forum) and we'll get it started.

That goes for the rest of you here... if you have an idea for an additional forum that you would like to see added here... check out how the other forums are done with descriptions and an announcement and let us know.

Many of the forums here were started by the members of the forum... they came up with an idea that they thought would be helpful, wrote up a description and a name for the forum... and now we're posting message to their ideas!

Whatever we do -- is always better -- when a we are doing it together! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:29 am

Hey bro.

I got an idea! :roll:

I think this would be fun and useful to have a separate forum called:

"Our Resentments"

Each person can post the person, place, thing, or circumstance that is giving them a resentment. Then we can all have a laugh, maybe offer some ES&H with resentments we had that were similar, and maybe the original poster can follow up to let us know what came of their resentment.

It would give both newcomers and longtimers a chance to "vent" about the real "sobriety-threatening issues" of resentment.

The only "rules" that should govern this forum are:
1. No judgement calls like "You're an idiot because you have a resentment like that" - maybe you could say just "No Flaming"
2. No last names used
3. No advice unless it is identification with the resentment and something similar that happened to you. Then if there is "advice", it comes out in saying something like "when something similar happened to me, this is how I dealt with the resentment".

I think this would be good because it essentially forces a member that has a resentment to "write" it down (well kinda-sorta writing it down - typing). The comments can help a member to reflect or listen to another person's ES&H, and there's also the element of step 5: being accountable. I think it's something that maybe can help us solve some of our "disturbing" problems and also to help each other.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:36 pm

The only problem that I can foresee... would be...
if someone posted their resentment...
and one of us commented about their resentment
instead of talking about our own experience...
we might end up in a fire-ball of resentments! :wink:

In talking about someone elses experience... rather than my own...
it can nearly always land me in some boiling water situations.

Perhaps, if we shared only about our own individual resentment
and resisted the urge to comment on someone elses experiences
it might work.

In other words... "This is what I did with my resentment... blah blah blah... if my personal experience is helpful to you, that's fine, and if not, that's fine, too!" (Being sure to not comment on someone elses experience. It always seems to work better that way). And, that keeps us telling our own story. "This is what I was like -- what happened -- and, what I'm like now."

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics