- One Day at a Time

One Day at a Time

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

One Day at a Time

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:34 pm

a friend of mine who is having a hard time right now. gave this to me at a meeting tonight. " One day at a time! Help me believe in what i could be, and all that i am!" ... "Those who say it cannot be done. Should not interrupt the person doing it!" ... ty, Kimber's
Rusty Zipper

Postby samantha » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:11 am

:? Dear Rusty
Are you saying here that there was cross-talk at that meeting :?: Oh dear, what a surprise. Oh, but I get so mad, but that's just me.... :x
Maybe I just read it wrong.... 8) it wouldn't be the first time....
xoxoSam :roll:
samantha

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:24 am

good morning Samantha. to answer your ? i believe that this has to do with outside the rooms. i know this person for a bit, and there is a lot of trouble with the home life. ie: a hubby that ask's, do you have to go to a meeting again?... to anyone that might think we are silly, crazy, nuts :shock: living in a fantasy land, or wishfull thinking. sorry if you feel that way. all we can do, is accept there opinion, smile :) and move on. to try to justify what we are doing, useless.. i can tell you that by living the program around disbelievers. sooner or later, it rubs off. remember you can catch more flys with honey, than vinigar! ... regards to yhe crosstalk. there should not be any, but aint no perfect rooms, some are sicker than others :roll: again choices. if available, try to find a good group, instead of meetings. the structured groups have way less, if none, they frown on it :( , or some will cut ya off. again choices.. so Samantha keep asking ?, and remember, this is as i see it, in my head, my world, and my recovery. :idea: il'l think today, might call sponser on this one,
! lets get another opinion :roll: thanks for the ? Samantha, Happy Trudging, and Happy Halloween. kcb, xo, Rusty :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby samantha » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi Rusty,

Yes, some of us are sicker than others.....those were some of the first words that I heard from my sponser when I ot sober.

I found that the "Fellowship Clubs" tend to have more crosstalk in their meetings than a structured group meeting. I'm from the "Old School" where I was taught strict rules, yes I know we have no rules in this program, right? But I sure got my share of them when I came into these rooms....I would simply say "keep coming back, it gets better."

Most importantly were the words spoken to me by my sponser "Some are sicker than others," and I was always free to find other meetings to go to if I wanted to....
it's really very simple...... :D

I love AA, BB, all us Alkys...never a dull moment....we just keep trudging along....together :wink:
xoxoSamantha
samantha

No Rules

Postby 918gma » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:00 pm

Very true, no rules for AA, only suggestions. But what suggestions. I remember the first joke I ever heard in AA. The steps are only suggestions, but so is having a parachute with you if you plan on jumping out of an airplane.
About living with non program people. I am discovering that can be hard. Zip is right, this program is based on attraction, not promotion, and for good reason. We need to always be mindful to resemble some thing some one else may want or need.
As far as cross talk, there is always principles before personality's. That's a hard one for me too. But it's easier when I try to remember that theoretically we are all working together towards a common goal. To improve ourselves and each other through the message of the program.
918gma

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:04 pm

just like ta say somthing, i thank everyone that suports me. but like i try to say. it's not about being "Right" anymore, it's being "Aware" so please, please try not to say that the Zip is Right. ... always remember, that in TPTB's world, there is no right, or wrong! :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:54 pm

That's right Zip!!! Heeheeeee!

Dallas

Oops!!! :oops:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:37 pm

"Ass" ... ha, ha luv ya D :roll:
Rusty Zipper

Postby Angel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi Everyone..It's Angel.. :D I agree with Rusty and Samantha..I can't stand cross-talk..It's said (in most groups, I think) right in the begining of the meeting "NO CROSS TALK" but people do it anyway. That's where the chair person comes in..When you lead a meeting, that is what your suppose to do..LEAD So, I believe it's up to the chair person, to take care of the problem. Another thing that gets under my skin is.. "DOUBLE-DIPPING".. I was at a meeting one time and this women (I think she was fairly new)..She kept jumping in sharing, cross talking..finally the chair person .. very nicely explain to her, what the deal was..and she was fine. I'm so glad, because I was just about ready to tell her to shut-up and listen..Yikes!! :shock: I'm so glad H.P. jumped in..

Thanks..Angel :wink:
Angel

Learned Art

Postby 918gma » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:52 am

I guess meeting etiquette is a learned art. I know I have learned much and still have more to learn.
Say what the Hp wants and not what you want. Remember to keep in in the book, and about the program. Focus on the new comm er. Zero in on people that sound like they are struggling and make a point to meet them after the meeting. These are all learn as you go stuff that we get from our sponsor and the older members of the meeting group we regularly attend.
I don't say this for your benefit only, I say it for mine as well. I forget in my all about me world that it's truly not about me, it's about us.
Sorry about the Zip's right comment, but I have learned to look up to you. you and Dallas have a lot of history and knowledge between you and it benefits all of us. But I will try to keep the Zip off the pedestal.
918gma

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery