- Why study AA history?

Why study AA history?

General discussions related to A.A. History.

Postby sunlight » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:40 pm

I will keep you posted.

I started reading the book, & I already have the preconceived idea that some people are not going to like it! The ones we affectionately call "the skaters". These are people who skate in & out of AA, don't find a sponsor or work the steps & come to meetings & whine & complain. There are more than a few who have been doing this for 20 years!
Others too, but I won't get into their inventories! :wink:

But, my preconceived ideas are now going in the "gone green" bin. Kind of like a recycle bin, but it's tossing the old idea and leaving room for something new!

Who knows? Maybe some good old-time AA is just what the doctor ordered!
Maybe they're tired of hearing "Keep coming back" & want to hear "Get to work!"

A meeting I used to go to when I lived in another part of town would greet the newcomer with, "Work the steps or die!" Pretty harsh, but there weren't many slippers & the ones who weren't serious left.

I have an idea for another topic under history, but that's for another time.

Love to all.
sunlight

Postby RD1angel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:11 pm

The back to the basics movement started back in 1997 by Wally P, he was questioning why AA had such high success rates in the beginning compared to now. With help from his sponsor, James H, who was with Bill W, and 2 years of research, Wally came to the realization of why our success rate is so low.

He wrote "back to the basics", in a nutshell, he describes how a newcomer was taken through the 12 steps, and what I can tell is that the old timers had much more direct contact with the newcomer, which strengthened "carrying the message", and witnessing spiritual experiences, and awakenings. (my opinion, is that these are two different events. I could be wrong) Also, singleness of purpose was held high, not to differentiate an alcoholic verses a drug addict, but for relatablility.

You can go to AAbacktobasics.org and listen to a speaker Paul F. explain this much better than I can.

Anyhow, I has renewed my recovery tremendously. I guess that is why I have been a little of the "sensitive" side lately. I do run into some resistance, mainly because some members think that I am trying to come up with "a new way" when I am not. But I am sticking to my guns, at least for this alcoholic, I get excited when I am soaring in regards to my recovery.
RD1angel

Postby GeoffS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Had a little look round the back-to-basics in AA website. There is some interesting stuff there, and some very seriously frightening stuff!!!
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Well now, of course that means I will have to check it out! :lol:

I know that there is a tendency among some groups in Denver to be ( how shall I put this delicately?) fanatical. I won't get into some of the, in my opinion, bizarre things they do, but I can feel fairly certain it is not what our founders had in mind.

We were discussing passion elsewhere in this forum, and passion can be a good thing: enthusiam,energy,vitality & a zest for life. But as an alcoholic, I can take anything to the extreme - even the good things! So, for me, passion without prudence is a stick of dynamite with the wick lit.

But, I'm speculating on what you wrote, Geoffs. So, till I know what I'm talking about, over & out! :roll:
sunlight

Postby tj » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 pm

Hello all,

I'm Manette and I'm an alcoholic. I haven't posted for a while but saw you discussing Back to Basics and had to stop and comment. My home group here in Spring, Texas had Wally P. come down last Spring. What an awesome talk he gave. I have read and done Back to Basics and I think it is a great way to go through the steps. For me, it really worked. If you are going to order some of Wally P.'s books, also look into How to Listen to God . That book really opened my eyes to a whole new level of prayer. I don't practice two-way prayer everyday, but the days that I do are certainly different.

Manette
tj

Postby RD1angel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks Manette for your comment, I know I am so fired up about the back to the basics format, and am starting to see it catch on around here, slow but sure. Some people still think that it is a "new way", but after they realize that it is not, they love it.

I would love to have Wally P come and do a workshop around here, I see he is booked all the way through 2009. I am talking the different home group members regarding organizing a workshop for our district. How was the response in your area, and are you having beginners meetings? Step 11 guidance meetings? Would love to know.
RD1angel

Postby GeoffS » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:05 am

Dallas wrote:
Had a little look round the back-to-basics in AA website. There is some interesting stuff there, and some very seriously frightening stuff!!!

I totally agree with you on that one.

very seriously frightening stuff!!!

Dallas B.

And I did not mean that in a good way either. Here's the analogy.

My higher power had a plan for me - I messed with it and put my own human interference in there. I had to go through the hell of alcoholism to get back on to his plan again.

AA has a program that works, inspired by a higher power-when humans mess with it, what will happen?
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 am

Thank you for the long post. I've missed those!

My home group started checking out the B2B book last night & I chaired the meeting. We didn't get past the 1st paragraph because it sparked so much discussion! Not much was positive.

Can't post much as it's been a grueling day & the midnight hour approaches. Details later...
sunlight

Postby GeoffS » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:34 am

Dallas wrote:2. Bill, discovered... that writing the book to be the "Official Program of Recovery for AA" wasn't enough. Some members were adding to it and taking away from it. They were coming up with membership requirements and all sorts of other things -- that would eventually lead to the demise of the Fellowship.

This is what happened to the Washingtonians. They were a highly successful group with many many sober members. Until they listened and got taken over by those amongst them who wanted to change things. They lost sight of what they were all about and complicated things with forays into trying to change legislation etc. Very quickly they disappeared. Many many of them died drunk, the movement withered and died so effectively that Bill and Bob had never heard of them only 50 years later.

Food for thought?
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:03 pm

Here are some of the comments from our group's reading of the 1st paragraph of B2B on the 1st step:

a. "What is this? Microwave AA?"
b. " I was so out of it when I came in that I don't think I could have taken 12 steps in 4 hrs. & if I did they wouldn't have meant anything."
c. "Nobody tells me I HAVE to do anything!" (from our resident skater)
d. "My sponsor said this is a gentle program & nothing would be shoved down my throat or pounded into me." (from a newcomer)
e. "The steps are only suggestions." :x
f. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
g. "The steps are a design for living. I needed to learn how to live each step in every area of my life, & that takes time."

I must not be getting into the meat of that website cuz all I see are things like ads or commercials for it.

What, in your opinion, is terrifying? Is is the promotional aspect?

Thanks, Sunlight
sunlight

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. History