- Meeting topics

Meeting topics

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Meeting topics

Postby Jools » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Ya know, a LOT of times I go to a meeting and the chairperson asks if anyone has anything bothering them or a topic and no one says anything. :shock: Inevitably the meeting turns into a gratitude meeting. Thats like the ole "standby topic". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a gratitude meeting, k?

I wondered if y'all could share some meeting topics. Or perhaps what were the topics of some of the best meetings you've been at. Or is that the same? Ha!

Hugs,
Julie

Can y'all tell it's slow at work today? :roll:
Jools

Postby Dallas » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:33 pm

My favorite meetings are Speaker meetings.
I enjoy listening. And, when I'm listening I'm learning, and growing and healing, and getting better.

I don't care much for discussion meetings, unless it's a panel type of discussion -- again, because it gives me the opportunity to listen to someone other than me.

My favorite topics for any kind of meetings, speaker, panel or discussion, is Recovery. I want to hear about getting better, and how others used the program of AA to get better.

My most unfavorite kind of meetings -- are meetings about drinking and drunik-a-logs, or where it seems to be a contest or promotion of who had the most sordid character defects and how they practiced them, drunk or sober. Those cause me to have bad dreams and to feel depressed.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Dallas wrote:My most unfavorite kind of meetings -- are meetings about drinking and drunik-a-logs, or where it seems to be a contest or promotion of who had the most sordid character defects and how they practiced them, drunk or sober. Those cause me to have bad dreams and to feel depressed.

Dallas

I'm with you there, hate drunik-a-logs too, hate drunk-a-logues also.
:lol: :roll: :lol:

I really enjoy meetings where people talk about the nature of the illness, and the nature of recovery.
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:44 am

GeoffS, if you keep coming back...
I might learn how to spell!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here I was trying to come up with a new definition for
"drunik-a-logs." (I noticed my error before I read your post! Well, part of my error. The drunik-a part! ) :lol:

That's what I like about public speaking and public writing!
It keeps me humble by showing my rough edges! :wink:

What can I say? I went to public schools and came to the classes late and left them early! :lol:

The only reason that I kept going back was to get my report card signed!

See. I was acting like a newcomer before I drank!

I once had a girlfriend that was an English teacher. I felt so inadequate, wrong and humiliated that I stopped talking to her! :lol: :lol:

She begged me to keep coming back -- and promised me that she wasn't judging me like I was judging me -- but, I felt too low on the totem pole when I was with her! Nice girl. It was a good thing that I moved on! She deserved better and finally found it. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:43 am

I dunno about all that, Dallas. You're a good person and me thinks she would have gotten one helluva man.
Jools

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:16 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tj » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:45 am

Hello all,

I hope you had a great, sober Thanksgiving. I sure did. I had a low key, relaxing day with people that I love. I just doesn't get any better. :D

I like this topic. Last night I led a meeting that had a great topic, or so I thought. It was about things that you used to worry about and don't today due to working the steps, staying sober and having conscious contact with God. We got off track and I had to thank some folks for their contributions before they were done talking, if you know what I mean. My experience as a newcomer was that I benefitted most from hearing the solution and there were newcomers at the meeting last night who needed that.

My favorite meeting topic is "how the promises have come true for you". I love hearing about the miracles that have occurred in people's lives due to working the steps and I love sharing the miracles that have occurred in mine. I also love speaker meetings and spend my commute time to work listening to speaker tapes.

Thanks for helping keep me sober today. Have a great Monday.

Manette
tj

Postby sunlight » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 pm

First - hi Manette! So happy to see you around again!

My favorite topic is the steps. Pick a step, any step, I want to hear about your experience with it. The woman's group I attend has a step meeting every month & it's awesome to hear the struggles, the victories & the spiritual experiences that happen as we work the steps.

I especially love speaker meetings where the speaker will tell his/her experience with each step, 1-12. It's like a story that starts out sad & then, there's hope & then, there's courage, then strength & joy & freedom!

I also love hearing how someone's used a particular step on an issue they are facing today. These steps are alive! I have found a power in them that keeps growing & growing & I love to hear you share how that power has come alive in you! (oops, am I on that soapbox again? :oops: )

Saw a poster in a rehab that said: "There's no elevator to recovery. You have to take the steps! :D
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:23 am

Hi All,

I was just invited to speak at the Borton Group which is Clarence Snyder's home group, and the "longest continuously-running AA meeting in the world" as it's members always say. It is actually the first meeting in the world to be called "Alcoholics Anonyomous". I was getting goofy last night at home, so I said to myself I need a meeting and went to Borten. I knew the chairman, and I also knew the speaker. The lead brought me back to "normal" and made me feel grateful.

But when the chairman walked up to me and asked me how long I was sober, then he was talking to his friend and said he never heard my lead, I knew what was coming. I was floored when the chairman asked me to lead next week. Totally flaberghasted! Well he didn't "ask" me to lead, he sorta "told me" to "show up next week" to take my turn because he didn't have a speaker for nextweek, but he had the rest of the month lined up. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. So if anyone is near Cleveland Heights, Ohio this coming Monday, and you want to hear me ramble on like I do here, drop me a PM and I'll give you the time and place.

Now I do my speaker lead like Julie says pretty much. Around here, we been taught that it is important to disclose our "qualifications". In other words, we're supposed to tell enough of a "drunk-a-log" - like the book says "what we were like". Well I sure can't tell you what I was like without telling a couple "highlights" (which are really "lowlights") of my "drinking career". That's so other alcoholics can hopefully "identify". If a person doesn't "qualify" by telling something of a "drunk-a-log", then I don't really know if they are alcoholics.

But like Dallas said, "what we were like" isn't something to take up all the time with. To "qualify" as an alcoholic, I don't have to tell my life story from 4 years old until now. What I do is tell about 2-3 times when I was drunk which includes my last drunk - so this will take about 15 minutes. Then we been taught (in my home group) that you always go through the 12 steps as they are applied in your life just like Julie said - that's what it says in the book "what happened" - this takes maybe 30-40 minutes for me. Then I breifly disclose what else I do today that keeps me sober - I try to keep it less than 10 minutes but it's where this life of sobriety has led me today which is "what we are like today". So my whole speaker lead lasts about 50 minutes to an hour.

Some folks get squirmy. Some folks watch the clock. But let me tell you what - whenever any alcoholic I knew went out on a binge or "binder", he didn't go into a bar and ask the bartender to tell him when 45 minutes were up so he could rush home. The "suggested" time limit for speaker leads at Dr. Bob's home group which is "King School" is 45 - 50 minutes. It was in that group's first pamphlet which is what we played "who wrote this" on this forum a couple weeks ago. So if it's good enough for Dr. Bob, it's good enough for me. But we also have "drive-through" meetings around here where they specifically limit your time to 30 mintes or less. I don't like speaking at those meetings because it's not enough time to disclose my story like the books says I should do, and I do find myself rushing and watching the clock.

OK now Hi again Manette. I'm glad you're still dropping in. Glad you're staying sober and listening to speaker CD's.
garden variety

Postby RD1angel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:37 pm

I could use some feedback about a meeting around here..... It seems to be 90% drug court people who, for the most part just want to get the paper signed, and as we go around the room, they say, "glad to be here, clean and sober. and I pass" Every once in a while someone will start a disscussion about "the problem", only a couple are even remotely interested in steps.

I know that we are planting a seed, and that is what I keep telling myself, and the few of us that chair try to steer the topic to the solution, but it is very hard. There are times when I walk out of those meetings totally wore out! There aren't very many people willing to chair this meeting, so I feel obligated, yet burned out.

What do ya all think? Give me some experience, strength and hope. I don't want the meeting to end, as out of the 20 or so court appointed people that come, usually one or two are truely ready to surrender.

There is a lot of that, "peer" pressure with this group, kinda like they don't want any of the other people to hear them talk about recovery.

I will appreciate your feedback on different topics, and ways to steer the meetings.
RD1angel

Next

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics