- Adventures before and after

Adventures before and after

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Adventures before and after

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Adventures before and after....

I just love that line in Chapter 5, that I think it's on page 60, of the Big Book... "Our adventures before and after"...........

My life in A.A. has been one of many great adventures and discoveries.

One of the many things that I discovered in sobriety... was that I was only living 10 percent of my life and wasting the other 90 percent.

Here's what it was like... what happened... and what I'm like now:

I was spending 90 percent of my day thinking about and worrying about things that I wanted and didn't have -- or about having the things that I didn't want -- and trying to figure out the solutions to problems that I might face tomorrow or the here-after.

And, I was only spending 10 percent of my day thinking about RIGHT NOW!

When I became aware of how I was wasting away my sobriety -- I made a decision to change.

Now, I can say that I'm spending at least 90 percent of my life thinking and being in the RIGHT NOW... and less than 10 percent on trying to find the solutions to problems that I don't have.... or might have in the future.

What a difference it's made in my enjoyment of living.

All that I really have is RIGHT NOW.
All that's important is RIGHT NOW.

You see, for me...

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery...
And, if I'm taking care and being in the RIGHT NOW
If there is a tomorrow -- I can handle it just like I did today
and everything will be okay when it's RIGHT NOW.

RIGHT NOW is okay. It's good. I have everything I need. I'm sober. My belly is full. There is a roof over my head and my dogs have food and water. My car works. My truck works. My life works.... RIGHT NOW.

Through A.A., I've been given God's tools, and the Fellowship and the friends, and I'm able to work to achieve the things that I desire... and my life continues to get better and better and better and better!!!

It's a good life. It's my life. And, it's the only good life I've ever had.

Thanks to the many of you -- that it took, to make it possible!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 pm

What a great post, Dallas!

I've noticed, in the past few days, how negative my thinking is and has always been. Just crazy negative stuff.

And the anger inside. Great day, I'm FULL of anger. I'm angry at the world!! I'm angry because of people on welfare generation after generation, I'm angry because some shmuck auto worker is getting 95% of his pay while he is laid off...for FOUR years! I'm angry because my business is slow, because my shoulders hurt, because, because, because!

Wow, what a sad revelation. :cry: I come to the conclusion that it takes a LOT of energy to be so angry all the time. No wonder I'm so dang tired day in and day out.

All of this is in the right now........boy oh boy am I ready to be better! Talk about wasting life! You give me hope, Dallas, thanx!

Julie
Jools

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:12 pm

Well Julie... You give me hope!!!

Hope that RIGHT NOW ME AND YOU can be real happy!!!

So, what do you say? Let's do it? :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:38 am

I'm in, I'm IN!

After listening to the people in the meeting last night, I don't have any choice BUT to be happy! :wink:

Hugs to you,
Julie
Jools

Postby sunlight » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:14 pm

I'd like to share my adventure with this post.

I've had a rough week & yesterday I had to work for someone who was terminated. Then I went to see my sponsor & we took the 11th step. Then I picked up my daughter & grandkids to go to a Christmas concert to benefit Habitat for Humanity. I was running on fumes. And my daughter was depressed cuz she lost her job.

The concert was choirs from many different ethnic backgrounds and there was an orchestra. The conductor looked about 100 yrs old, but he was so lively, bopping up & down & waving his baton wildly. It was interesting to see this old man with the eyes of a happy child.

During one song, he turns to the audience & says, "I want you to sing along to the refrain. The words are posted on the monitors above the stage. Come on! Be happy tonight!"

I thought of Dallas & Julie. And I thought of our program & our loving God & our fellowship when I read the words to the refrain:

HEY O I RECEIVE YOUR MERCY
HEY O I RECEIVE YOUR GRACE
HEY O I WILL DANCE FOREVERMORE

And I belted those words out with all my heart. And tears of pure joy were running down my face & I looked at my daughter & they were coming down her face, & the grandkids were bouncing in their seats, laughing & clapping.

And it didn't end there. Afterwards, there was refreshments & everyone was laughing & talking & we didn't even know each other. And the kids are going over to the children from Tonga ( I had to look up where that is!) & offering them cookies & eggnog & playing chase with them & they don't even speak the same language.
(Yes, dsbfaith, they were cheap cookies! And it didn't matter. Those cookies were a symbol of something - love, fellowship & sharing the joy of being alive)

This was a spiritual experience of the Christmas variety! I'm glad I showed up to be part of it, both here & in the world.

I wish you joy today, Sunlight
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:58 am

I thought of Dallas & Julie. And I thought of our program & our loving God & our fellowship when I read the words to the refrain:

Thanks for sharing your adventure... and thanks for the thoughts!!!
(I thought I was the only one that thinks about me!) :lol:

On my adventures....
I've discovered that it's just as easy to think uplifiting and happy thoughts as it is to think of sad and depressing thoughts.

If you change your thoughts -- it will change your life.

I can change my thoughts -- by taking right actions.
And, right actions -- produces the good life.

If I'm depressed or sad... it's always because I've been thinking sad and depressing thoughts.

If I'm happy... it's because I've been thinking happy and uplifting thoughts.

Every emotion that I have is the result of my thoughts.

By changing what I think about -- it changes the way that I feel.

Knowing that... I've learned that I'm no longer victim or controlled by my emotions or moods or feelings.

I have a choice. I can make a decision. And, take an action -- and it will change what I feel -- and it will change my experience and perception of my life, and because of those changes... I can choose the good life.

After some disciplined practice... it becomes easier and easier and my life gets better and better and better and better.

Thanks to all of you!!! I couldn't do it -- without you! And, I can do it -- because of you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Good stuff here. Thanks.

Life has been busy, but it has also been incredible and beautiful. I love living in the NOW. I LOVE SOBRIETY!

I have still been testing "CONSTRUCTIVE ACTION NEVER FAILS". By golly, it still works. Like Dallas said up here somewhere, if I take the actions, life will become good. It never fails. My feelings aren't always reliable. My emotions can get pretty emotional and not make any sense. A longtimer can go back out - if he's on my "pedestal", it can get ugly. But "constructive action" and "self-sacrifice" - these are gifts from a loving God that never fail to keep me sober and always change my attitude when it needs an adjustment.

God bless,
Paul
garden variety

Postby Jools » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:57 am

Good morning y'all,

Been busy too. I've missed being here. I log on and a customer comes in? Don't they know I'm trying to participate in a message board??? Ha! Actually, I'm truly blessed to have the business I do. I've had to let one barber go because there wasn't enuff biz for 3 of us anymore. It gets right scary sometime, BUT...I have a job and God always provides what I "need".

Sunlight, that sure is a beautiful post, it made me wish I were there with you. Thank you for thinking of me. I often think of y'all on this board. How is your son doing?

Hugs to y'all,
Julie
Jools

Postby sunlight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Not 10 minutes after I read Julie's post, my son comes walking in the door of my work! I told him that my friends at step 12 have been asking about him, & he gives me that shy smile that justs melts my heart.

He seems to be doing very well. He got his old job back, part time, since he has so many court dates, UAs, etc.. He gave me a list of 174 inspirational quotes that he got from the rehab. Maybe I'll post some here.

I printed out some of Victor's poems, and the song lyrics from kidlizard & Geoff's, for him. (Last he saw them, they were on my computer screen. Someone just gave me a printer, but it's not connected yet.) He appreciated them. Thanks, guys!

The only thing that bothered me was he said he watched the movie "Trainspotting" last night. It's about herion addiction. I had to bite my tongue, remembering that "there are no lectures to be endured" and to make sure my "whole deportment shouts at the new prospect that I am a person with a real answer." (pg18)

God has my son in His care. Of that I am sure.

Thank you all, for being part of my sobriety.
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:03 pm

:D :D :D

Wow! Great news Sunlight.

I'm so happy for you. I wish you and your son all the best.

Thanks for helping me today!
garden variety

Next

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity