- Step 10 Promises

Step 10 Promises

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Jools » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:53 am

It's good to see ya, Kid! :)
Jools

Postby sunlight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Wow. I am going to have to invite that post to dinner, because it's something I'll need to digest.

No fast food recovery here!

Thanks for helping us today, Paul!
sunlight

Postby Jools » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:30 am

Sunlight, you have a way with words! I love reading your posts for new lil tidbits to use. :wink:

Hugs to you girl,
Julie
Jools

Postby kidlizard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:36 am

Thank You Garden Variety for all your comments, I really do appericiate it.

I had a doctors appointment couple weeks ago for my Stress/Anxiety/Depression....whatever. Anyways the doctor recommended a psychiatrist, so I went. Long story short, I was diagnosed with GAD general anxiety disorder.

The doctor recommended Xanax medication, even after I old her my history of alcoholism. She said, as long as you dont abuse the medication it will be OK. I would only see this one doctor for this and they will monitor my use.

I feel by taking this medicine I am no longer sober. To this the doctor said I was indeed still sober as long as I dont abuse the medication. I dont know I would like some feedback from you guys and that is why I feel the way I do. Im afraid to even mention this to anyone at my meetings......now Im living a lie.

I know you once told me to put down the stick and quit beating my self up with it. Im just so afraid.
kidlizard

Postby garden variety » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks for sharing kidlizard.

I understand completely about what you're talking about. I sent you a PM. For public purposes on the board, we don't like to move away from alcoholism. But there is a AA conference approved pamphlet that you can read which is called: The AA Member - Medication & Other Drugs.

"Prescriptions" and "anxiety" are pretty controversial, and some say it steers us away from our primary purpose. I appreciate you sharing.

What I say or believe about your share is only my opinion, and it doesn't reflect or represent AA. I believe if you are taking medication as prescribed, and not for recreational purposes, then it shouldn't be an issue with your sobriety date.

However, I also have seen Xanax destroy lives. I believe that it's risky business for an alcoholic to use this drug.

About anxiety - there is a great book that was written a long time ago (1970-ish) by a psychatrist, F. Scott Peck. It's called "The Road Less Travelled". I thought it was excellent reading, and it was a "life-changing" book for me. I thought it was also very much in line with spirituality and the 12-steps (the first few chapters were pretty boring to me, but it picked up).

Peck pretty much says that the underlying cause for any mental illness is "AVOIDANCE". Wow is that ever in line with alcoholic thinking! He says folks have mental problems (like anxiety) because they're seeking ways to avoid human problems and avoid suffereing. When I look at the "root" cause of our alcoholism - "selfishness" and "self-centeredness", I see the same factor of "avoidance" at work.

As an alcoholic, what I did was build a belief system that pretty much tried to make me exempt from human problems and human suffering. That's selfish. Who am I to think that I'm entitled to not have the same kind of painful problems and suffering that all folks have at one time or another? I used alcohol to avoid those problems and pain. So by drinking, they "disappeared". I then thought I was "problem-free", and I began to believe that lie.

I can see certain types of "anxiety disorders" taking root and growing in that kind of "fertilized soil" with avoidance being at the root.

Just my opinion - not that of AA or anyone else.
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi kidlizard,

You can Google xanax & find out a lot about it.

My son was on it & then became afraid to get off it! He's OK now. I'll ask him about his experience with it when I see him & PM you if you want.

He had such severe anxiety that he'd go through 6 or more shirts a day,
cuz he sweated them through.

You don't need to be afraid. It's not necessary.

I admire your honesty & humility & courage to bring this to light.

Can't post long today. Just wanted you to know we care.

Much love, Sunlight
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:50 am

The doctor recommended Xanax medication, even after I old her my history of alcoholism.

We don't give or ask for medical or professional advice on this forum. It's like a big taboo for here. None of us are professionals. If you have medical questions always ask a doctor... and not an alcoholic. :lol:

After looking at my reply above -- I want to be sure that I'm not creating a perception of a "sour lemon." :evil:

Here is a link to:
The A.A. Member—Medications and Other Drugs
www.step12.com/aa-files/aa-members-Med-Drug.pdf

One of the reasons that we do not talk and write about medications or medical conditions on this site is because of:

1. Legal liability. We don't want to get sued. Whatever you write in a PM is confidential. No one sees it but you and the person you PM. That way they take on the liability and risk of getting sued... if they want to give you professional advice.

2. Controversy A lot of people write un-informed books and post un-informed messages that "AA tells its members to... do such and such or not do this or that..." And, the info and source of controversy is far from the truth. So we avoid controversy by not posting to certain topics in a public forum... where people only get a bite of information and twist it into something that it's not. If you'd like to ask a private question to one of the forum members (or to all of them)... use the Private Message feature.

Thanks.

Dallas
Last edited by Dallas on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:58 am

Paul wrote:I want to point something out that might "sting" for a minute. I'll just try to hold a mirror up to your face,

I know of at least one member of the forum that returned to drinking after some comments that "stung".... That's why we share about ourselves rather than offering stinging comments or advice. Don't do it. Stay away from getting personal or making comments (especially stinging ones) in regards to someone elses comments on the board. It nearly always causes problems.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Dallas wrote: Don't do it. Stay away from getting personal or making comments (especially stinging ones) in regards to someone elses comments on the board. It nearly always causes problems.

Dallas

Quite right Dallas, stinging comments are what sponsors are for :o :o

Although I have to add a couple of things guaranteed to sting you all -
wasps and jellyfish. :shock:
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Geoffs,

Is this like cataracts & fountains? :lol:

How about stingrays?

My work had a holiday party at the downtown aquarium & there was a shallow pool where you could actually pet stingrays. We were warned not to pinch or grab & were told they love attention. It was incredible to see these two eyeballs coming up to you on this flat body wanting to be petted.

Yes, I petted them. They're smooth & very strong. I'll leave the jellyfish & wasps for you! :lol:
sunlight

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps