- Step 10 Promises

Step 10 Promises

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby garden variety » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:00 am

Dallas wrote:
Paul wrote:I want to point something out that might "sting" for a minute. I'll just try to hold a mirror up to your face,

I know of at least one member of the forum that returned to drinking after some comments that "stung".... That's why we share about ourselves rather than offering stinging comments or advice. Don't do it. Stay away from getting personal or making comments (especially stinging ones) in regards to someone elses comments on the board. It nearly always causes problems.

Dallas

Dallas,

I'm sorry that you took the words I chose to use out of context. I see you felt compelled to remove a set of words and comments. I don't think that was necessary. If you were to take the sentence I used above completely out of my post, the results would be no different. What I posted were questions that were asked to hopefully encourage any particular person on the forum to reflect. That is to "to look at oneself" or to look at "my role" in a situation that causes a disturbance.

The questions I asked were not "stinging". So I should have avoided using the sentence I used above that you quoted. But in my experience, anyone who takes a personal inventory, it doesn't matter if it's done like step 4 or step 10, and there is a shortcoming they're trying to uncover - well, reflection feels like a sting if I'm in the middle of finding my shortcomings. If I'm doing the forth step and the tenth step to the best of my ability, I'm gonna feel like I'm getting stung - plain and simple. If you would, please tell me what is "controversial" or "offensive" or "hurtful" about these questions:

"Are you being honest with yourself?"
"Are you ashamed of hiding something you don't want others to know?"

Now if you find any of the questions I asked to be offensive, then I'm willing to review them and see where I went wrong. Also, if there is something I posted that was not qualified by something that said "If I used those words, it would mean to me that..." - in other words relating my own experience - which I think I've been painstaking to do - then I need for that to be pointed out. But if you're picking out grammar or semantic mistakes, then to me it's not a constructive way of doing business or like they say around here "Why throw the baby out with the bathwater."

My question to you: Is removing the questions I asked and the comments related to them constructive? Particularly in light of the topic of the "10th Step Promises". From my experience, asking reflective questions is how an inventory is took.
garden variety

Postby GeoffS » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:56 am

sunlight wrote:Hi Geoffs,

Is this like cataracts & fountains? :lol:

How about stingrays?

My work had a holiday party at the downtown aquarium & there was a shallow pool where you could actually pet stingrays. We were warned not to pinch or grab & were told they love attention. It was incredible to see these two eyeballs coming up to you on this flat body wanting to be petted.

Yes, I petted them. They're smooth & very strong. I'll leave the jellyfish & wasps for you! :lol:

stingrays dont actually sting. they have bony spears in their tails which stab!!
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 pm

We need to talk, people.

There is a disturbance in the force.

How about a group conscience?
sunlight

Postby Victor » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:27 pm

:(

We lost souls
Clinging on tight
Treading cold waters
Amidst this insidious fight

Together we survive
Weather what storms
Or perish to die
If seperate we go

One journey many
One soul in question
All for recovery
Serenity destined....

peace

vic
Victor

Postby sunlight » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Thank you, Victor.

You were able to say what I can't find words for, only tears. :cry:
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:22 am

Sunlight wrote:..... warned not to pinch or grab & were told they love attention. It was incredible to see these two eyeballs coming up to you on this flat body wanting to be petted.

That reminds me of a re-curring nightmare that I used to have for awhile... and wondering if she was going to wake up before I got out of the house!!! :lol: :lol:

Paul: I'm having trouble with my eyes so it would be best to wait a few days for me to write you a PM about it rather than discuss it here on the board, especially now that I can't see very well.

Please read over the forum guidelines and see if your message might have went astray from them.

Thanks.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Victor » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07 pm

:) Dallas Paul Geoff and my sunshine Sunlight got one for ya's.....

How did the 70's Rock Band Kiss get their start???

The four lads got into a big rukus amongst each other till their Moms intervened and demanded that they....Kiss and Makeup! :twisted:

peace

vic
Victor

Postby sunlight » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Victor wrote:

Kiss and Makeup!

Gosh, it felt good to belly laugh! :lol:

Now, if you will just give me your moms' names and numbers, I will get busy!
(My mom can be reached in heaven, where I am sure she is still a powerful force for good in the world.)

Love (which is a verb, an action word), :wink: Sunlight
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Sunlight wrote:Love (which is a verb, an action word),

It doesn't surprise me that you have the profound wisdom to know the reality, understanding and truth of that one! :wink: :wink:

I've got an ideallll :idea:

Why don't we hook up a webcam for you and have you give us an encouraging and uplifting daily webcast??? :lol: :lol:

I know that I'm not alone... in wondering when I can log-in and find some Sunlight!!! :wink:

Thank you for the gentle and kind way that you touch so many of us here!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:58 pm

They say we see in others what we recognize in ourselves! :D

When I saw the webcam idea, I was going to direct you to our AA club's website, where there was a picture of me doing karoke ("Life in the fast lane!") wearing my funky pink shoes, & pictures of many of the wonderful people that help so many alcoholics.

Then I remembered that we voted to discontinue the site cuz we couldn't afford it. Some members have taken it upon themselves to start a new one, but no pictures yet.

So you were SPARED! :lol:

Hey, it's no secret: the Sunlight's inside all of us. Let it shine! :wink:
sunlight

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps