- Resolutions Anyone?

Resolutions Anyone?

Sobriety quotes and sayings heard in Meetings

Resolutions Anyone?

Postby sunlight » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:02 pm

Used to shine-on the resolution thing, but this year I have a few that might actually fly!

1. I'm going green with the old ideas. After I thought of doing this in a practical,applicable way, I met two others in the fellowship who told me they were going to try this, before I even mentioned it. So, we are now the "green-beans" & will be a support & inspiration to each other in this endeavor. Cuz most of the time, I don't know my ideas are old, even tho there's moths flying around, & I certainly don't think I'm holding onto them! :lol:

2. I'm going to resume journaling again. I've kept a journal since I was 13 & quit about a year ago when my son was having his problems, cuz it was just too painful. But, I realized when I joined this site, that one of the reasons I like it is that I like to write! (NO? REALLY?) So, back to the pen & paper.
(one reason I've never dreaded a 4th step!)

3. I'm going to work on getting our story-teller from our group to sit down with me & recollect as many stories as he can, which I will compile in a book. I've already approached him & said we can call it "Fred's Stories." But he's so modest that this embarassed him, so I said we'd call it "God's Stories". He liked this better, so I'm going for it. Stories can reach out in a way that sharing sometimes can't.

Of course, you know where this is headed, so here's one of my favorites!

A farmer had an old, blind mule named sunlight. One day he hitched her up to a cart & they were traveling down the road, until they reached a muddy rut & got stuck. Try as he may, the farmer could not get that stubborn mule to budge. A neighbor came along & was puzzled at how the farmer was going to get sunlight out of the rut. Then he heard the farmer yell, "PULL SUNLIGHT! PULL CESSIE! PULL JULIE, ANNE, MANETTE...PULL DALLAS! PULL PAUL! PULL TIM, GEOFFS, VICTOR..."
And, y'know that blind ol' sunlight pulled that cart right out of the rut!
The neighbor said, "Well, I'm impressed! But why did you yell all those names? There's no other mules here but blind ol' sunlight." The farmer said, "I know. But she never would have done it if she thought she had to do it alone."

I never would have. Thank you all for being part of the fellowship I crave!

(Going away for an AA New Year's retreat. See ya when I'm greener! :D )

:oops: (SORRY! I put this under the wrong heading & don't have time to change it! Boy, do I ever need that retreat!)
sunlight

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm

When I was in the first few years of sobriety, I abominated resolutions because they were a painful reminder of the unsuccessful resolutions I made to stop, cut down, control, manage, moderate, and eliminate my drinking.

Nowadays, I have returned more to making resolutions about things I can control. I especially like to do this on New Years or on my birthday.

Most of it has to do with diet, exercise and other personal goals. I made a resolution about 10 years ago to exercise more, and developed a workable plan that became a plan that still works 10 years later. The best exercise, I discovered, is the one that you will do.

Since getting prostate cancer a couple of years ago, I am working to modify my diet in small increments to a more Mediterranean style diet, which helps protect against cancer and heart disease. I've made progress, but need to do more.

I like the AA slogan of one day at a time, because life for me can otherwise tend to become overwhelming. With the new year two days away, I guess I'd better make a resolution or two. Thanks for the reminder.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Thank's Sunlight, for reminding me that I'm just another mule! That's one of my daily resolutions... to just be another mule, learning, laughing, trying to pull my load and carry the cart for an other... living and loving Life as it is.

And, thank you Tim, for reminding me of the resolutions that I'm working on and why I'm working on them!!!

It seems it will be more enjoyable if I'm living, laughing, learning, and passing it on... if I'm in better health!

Losing 95 % of the vision in my left eye (the one, to me, was always my "best eye") ... and nearly losing the vision in my right eye -- has really re-energized my thinking about my life and my health.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Dallas--Are your eyes ok now since your surgery, or is the vision nearly lost in one eye? I hope that your sight is ok now, yes?

Tim
Tim

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:45 am

All I see with my left eye is a big blur.
But, at least I've got 20/20 in my right eye!
Thanks to the greatest eye surgeon on the planet!

A real unique doctor. He told me that every morning he and his wife get up early to pray for his patients. Then, he turns his will and life and actions over to God, and asks God to work through him to do His will alone. And, he gives God all the credit for all that he does. He doesn't do it for the money. He does it as His way of being of service to God and His kids. He is a Christian and lives a very Christ-centered life.

I didn't know any of that when I went to him and had him do my surgeries. All I knew was he was a most qualified physician with a reputation as being the best that I could go to.

Sometimes, we can forget that there are very God-dedicated doctors that do understand that there is a Power Greater than scientific theory. :lol:

I was so totally blown away by his spirituality -- and his for-real-ness that it's got me taking a new and different look at Christians, Jesus, God, religion and the Bible.

Now, I know that none of this has anything to do with AA! I'm just answering a personal question with my personal answer about my new personal experience! :lol:

The way the doc explained things to me made me think he had been reading our Big Book and picking up some tips there! If he has read it, I'm sure it wasn't because he needed to read it! :lol:

So it all reminded me that I need to be careful about looking at religious folks and religion -- judging them all with narrow-minded attitudes because of the examples of a few. Kind of like how a lot of people judge AA'ers by bad examples of a few...

Geesss....... that was a long answer. Huh? Imagine that! :lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Dallas--While I'm glad to read that your eyesight is 20/20 in one eye, I'm sorry to read about your other eye. I hope that there is something that your eye surgeon can do to correct or improve your bad eye.

Thanks for your interesting story about your personal experience with this doctor.

For a year or so, I've been reading a long commentary (two-volume) on a book of the Bible (Matthew). The writer mentions AA's 12 Steps on many occasions as an example of the kind of spirituality the Bible is talking about.

Happy New Year to you!
Tim

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Tim wrote:I hope that there is something that your eye surgeon can do to correct or improve your bad eye.

Thanks Tim.

He says there is research being done -- but nothing approved yet to try on humans. I have read of some research that has worked on mice... and I'm willing to be a human experiment.

My plan is to research, try, and also support research by others... hopefully, so that if I can find a cure, or help support finding a cure... it can be passed on to others. Thousands of people go hopelessly blind, as a result of untreated glaucoma that destroys the optic nerve.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Dallas wrote:He says there is research being done -- but nothing approved yet to try on humans. I have read of some research that has worked on mice... and I'm willing to be a human experiment.

My plan is to research, try, and also support research by others... hopefully, so that if I can find a cure, or help support finding a cure... it can be passed on to others. Thousands of people go hopelessly blind, as a result of untreated glaucoma that destroys the optic nerve.

Dallas

I hope that you can find a cure for this. Great strides are being made in medical research, and there may be something that benefits your condition....Tim
Tim

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:27 pm

And, hopefully...
something in my conditions
will someday help to benefit others. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Quotes and sayings - heard in meetings